The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking of doing something like this (see title) for Further Maths, alongside A2 Maths, A2 Physics and A2 Chemistry. However, I'm really not sure if I should do that or just do the AS Further Maths next year. I really want to study Maths, possibly at Oxford, but is it really worth it?
Reply 21
Jinxy
Thanks.
My school don't do coursework in socio. If I do this is my timetable going to be more packed than last year? :frown:

Most likely because you would have the normal amount of AS lessons so lets say 5 lessons of AS sociology a week, then ANOTHER 5 lessons becuase you are doing A2.
Plus your lessons may clash with your other subjects etc. You would need to speak to the head of Sociology and see if you can fit it in, other wise you might have to do some private study at home and just do a few lessons at college if your subjects clash.
Reply 22
Jinxy
Can this be done? I want to do sociology, I know it isn't the most 'respected' of subjects but i dont have any other subjects i want to do a full A2 in.

How difficult would this be to do?
Is the work load very heavy?
Do they do c/w ?
Are exams in jan and june?

Thank you.

Best to my knowledge, i heard some people have done it that way and achieved it with high expectations. People don't easily get accepted until consult with senior teachers about this. Its hard work and effort to do, depending on your courses you choose, it varies. Some courses do coursework and some do exams, or both. You will have to find out which subject at your sixth form do what and discuss this with them. I have chosen this route at one point but decided to go back due too heavy workload, 9-4, with 10 minutes lunch everyday Monday - Friday, i could not work with that plan.

If you can do it, do it. College has reptuation to consider. Doing this route means you'll have to sacrifice your social life.

Scenario:

Art AS: Coursework Coursework, Exam
Art A2: Coursework Coursework, Exam
Biology AS: Coursework Exam Exam
Biology A2: Coursework Exam Exam
Computing AS: Coursework Exam Exam
Computing A2: Coursework Exam Exam

3 A level's, anymore would be overtime and overpay i think and not to mention you have deadlines and homework to do.
Reply 23
jabed786
Most likely because you would have the normal amount of AS lessons so lets say 5 lessons of AS sociology a week, then ANOTHER 5 lessons becuase you are doing A2.
Plus your lessons may clash with your other subjects etc. You would need to speak to the head of Sociology and see if you can fit it in, other wise you might have to do some private study at home and just do a few lessons at college if your subjects clash.

Thanks a lot. I'll just have to go in and see. :frown:
Reply 24
It can be done. My mate is now doing Eng Lit&Lang in Year13. :smile:
Reply 25
amii_G
It can be done. My mate is now doing Eng Lit&Lang in Year13. :smile:

Thanks for the help, what is he doing this alongside?
If you like the subject, then yes. I did Physics in one year, and got a very high A.

Good luck!
Reply 27
Jinxy
Thanks for the help, what is he doing this alongside?

*She is now studying Eng with History and Psychology and dropped Bio and Maths. :smile:
Reply 28
learner_dancer
If you like the subject, then yes. I did Physics in one year, and got a very high A.

Good luck!

Thanks a lot - how tough did you find the work load, did any of your classes clash etc?
Reply 29
Definitely go for it. I just did 3 A-levels in one year, and while it was ridiculously stressful at times, it was obviously doable! I'm also one of the unlucky ones who got swine flu near to exams, yet still managed to come out with what looks like will be AAB. Admittedly I'm having issues with my History A-level grade right now (got high A grades in all my modules, and then one random U...getting this remarked though as both teacher and my firm uni, KCL, believes a mistake's been made), but still managed to do really well in my other A-levels (English Lit - full marks in 3 modules, Politics- mostly As except for 1 module where I got a low B and another where I got a low C - couldn't revise for the A2 modules as much due to the swine flu).

I think the most important thing to be warned about before doing sociology in a year, though, is that you must try to attend every lesson, and I really mean that! In such an intensive course, going to every class meeting and taking notes is essential to getting a good grade. When I got swine flu, I obviously had to miss a few lessons and consequently didn't perform as well in the A2 part of Politics because of this, despite trying hard to catch up and even receiving a bit of extra help from my tutor. It was just so hard to balance out catching up for one subject, while simultaneously learning new material for the other A-levels, in addition to attempting to revise what was taught only a few weeks ago for the exams. But it'll be probably be a tad easier for you as you're only doing one in a year, alongside your A2s. So yeah, if you keep up with your work, go to classes, and make sure you don't get any potentially life-threatening illnesses along the way (lol), you really should be fine. :smile: Good luck!
MonkeyFace
Definitely go for it. I just did 3 A-levels in one year, and while it was ridiculously stressful at times, it was obviously doable! I'm also one of the unlucky ones who got swine flu near to exams, yet still managed to come out with what looks like will be AAB. Admittedly I'm having issues with my History A-level grade right now (got high A grades in all my modules, and then one random U...getting this remarked though as both teacher and my firm uni, KCL, believes a mistake's been made), but still managed to do really well in my other A-levels (English Lit - full marks in 3 modules, Politics- mostly As except for 1 module where I got a low B and another where I got a low C - couldn't revise for the A2 modules as much due to the swine flu).

I think the most important thing to be warned about before doing sociology in a year, though, is that you must try to attend every lesson, and I really mean that! In such an intensive course, going to every class meeting and taking notes is essential to getting a good grade. When I got swine flu, I obviously had to miss a few lessons and consequently didn't perform as well in the A2 part of Politics because of this, despite trying hard to catch up and even receiving a bit of extra help from my tutor. It was just so hard to balance out catching up for one subject, while simultaneously learning new material for the other A-levels, in addition to attempting to revise what was taught only a few weeks ago for the exams. But it'll be probably be a tad easier for you as you're only doing one in a year, alongside your A2s. So yeah, if you keep up with your work, go to classes, and make sure you don't get any potentially life-threatening illnesses along the way (lol), you really should be fine. :smile: Good luck!

wat you get in politics again?
i only got entered for 3 ASs and i got
236/300 Maths B (4 marks from A, definite resit!)
123/200 Economics C (want to up to at least a B)
86/300 Physics U (give up, didnt like it forced almost to take it)
So I want to take politics next year as a crash course, which would be basically like doing 4 subjects next year. How hard is it, and from the info I gave what chances of doing well in it do i have?
Reply 31
You could probably manage it - just bear in mind if you don't think you're going to get a B, it's probably not worth doing.
Jinxy
Thanks a lot - how tough did you find the work load, did any of your classes clash etc?

No, none clashed at all. The workload was the same than for my other subjects, but we went through everything at twice the speed. which meant half the practice on new topics. If you really like the subject, and feel you have a natural flair for it, then nothing is stopping you!
Reply 33
Jinxy
So its possible then? I need an A! :frown:

Of course it is. Well, it depends if your centre will offer it to you of course. I'm doing it and being predicted an A. You just have to show complete dedication and work for it. The A2 part is even harder seeing as I lack the knowledge from AS...but I'll get there!
Reply 34
What are the available subjects to do in one year?

I wanted to do Business, but I've been told it's synoptic papes so I'm not allowed to do that. It seems like a really good choice if you're doing A2 retakes despite the timetable problems and seemingly overwhelming effort/workload.

Latest