The Student Room Group

2010 Modern Languages Applicants

Scroll to see replies

PJ991
I think I should join in here.
I'm applying for Italian, and Italian and Swedish at:
UCL (a long shot with my disgraceful AS results)
Edinburgh
Bristol
Cardiff
and an undecided 5th. It was Durham, but I took it off.

SWEDISH :biggrin:
what made you decide it?
Reply 81
sylarfangirl
I want to do French and ab. initio Spanish. :smile:
I'd really like a course that's heavy on things like translation and interpreting rather than literature, I've been looking at Heriot-Watt. :smile:

If anyone's doing something like this already, could you let me know and maybe give me some more information?

And are courses like this really competitive or not? :s-smilie:

I think some of Bangor's courses don't involve any literature at all. And it won't be as competitive as some other uni's because of it's location.

Lancaster also has a lot less compulsory literature than other comparable traditional language degrees.

I don't blame you for looking into that - I've just let myself in for studying literature for an entire year and the prospect is daunting to say the least. Choosing politicsy/linguisticsy type modules asap!!!

Good luck :smile:
georgia
I think some of Bangor's courses don't involve any literature at all. And it won't be as competitive as some other uni's because of it's location.

Lancaster also has a lot less compulsory literature than other comparable traditional language degrees.

I don't blame you for looking into that - I've just let myself in for studying literature for an entire year and the prospect is daunting to say the least. Choosing politicsy/linguisticsy type modules asap!!!

Good luck :smile:

bridget jones went to bangor :teeth:

what made you decide warwick? it looks so nice...
Deutsch_Beth
I am in love!

In Uni of Southampton. I wish I'd looked at this uni before!

southampton :love:
Reply 84
SiaSiaSia
bridget jones went to bangor :teeth:

what made you decide warwick? it looks so nice...

Bridget Jones is a fictional character :p:

I want a challenge (after starting my previous sociology degree which I found SO SO dull) and it looked like the course and the uni itself could stretch me the most out of the ones I applied to. Plus it's not a heavy traditional course like Bristol's French, but at the same time it's got a nice balance of optional modules so you can study what you like and at the same time not limit yourself.

It came down to Warwick and Lancaster in the end, and another reason I picked Warwick was to push my comfort zone a bit since I only live 45mins if that from Lancs and feel like I need to get away from the area. The fact that I'm going to be on a nice campus is a factor too since it'll just be nice and easy!

And they have an absolute ton of SU societies and clubs and whatnot so it seems like there's loads of different ways to get truly involved.

Edit: And I actually really like the fact that my course is structured so it's one year in Warwick, one in Italy, and another two in Warwick...means that all the honours study (for Italian at least) is done after the year abroad when hopefully I'll be happily fluent!
georgia
Bridget Jones is a fictional character :p:

omg
really??????

:p:
German and Spanish at Essex...I have my unconditional :woo:
Tasha-x
Southampton is a really good uni for languages! The only bit of the course that i didn't like was the fact that you can't split the year abroad. Unless it's changed, i'm pretty sure i was tol dhtat you had to spend the whole year in one country, which sucked for me, seeing as i'm doing 3 languages! The plus side is that apart from the core language modules, you can pick whatever you want. So if you hate literature and history, like me, you can completely avoid it, and do linguistics instead :biggrin:

Birmingham is still better though :p:

That sounds good, that you can choose not to do literature, I'm not a fan. Am struggling through Buddenbrook in english atm, not liking it. I suppose not being able to split the year is a bit of a let down, but I can always travel in my own time.
I'm a bit besotted though atm.
Haven't looked at Birmingham actually, will do!
Reply 88
Deutsch_Beth
That sounds good, that you can choose not to do literature, I'm not a fan. Am struggling through Buddenbrook in english atm, not liking it. I suppose not being able to split the year is a bit of a let down, but I can always travel in my own time.
I'm a bit besotted though atm.
Haven't looked at Birmingham actually, will do!

Yeah, I hated A level literature ... I was constantly getting D's or below all year in practise essays ... i was extremely shocked yesterday when i saw that i'd got an A in every single literature module!!!

Believe me, when you look at Birmingham you will love it! Not one person that i've spoken to has said a bad word about it! The campus is gorgeous! It's just generally amazing :p:
SpiritedAway
German and Spanish at Essex...I have my unconditional :woo:

oh my god you got in!
i'm so happy for you, i remember us manically discussing german exams a few months ago and you thought you hadn't done well
YAY! you'll be near me :biggrin: are you on the colchester campus?
Reply 90
Just booked to go to the 4th September Open Day at Southampton! Heh :biggrin:
Reply 91
I want to do French or French and ab initio Spanish too.. can't decide between Southampton and St Andrews as my first choice and apart from that have no idea :frown:

I got AAAAA - one is A2 French - but also like the look of Swansea even though they only want CCC at A2 - should I aim higher or does it not matter?
Reply 92
SiaSiaSia
SWEDISH :biggrin:
what made you decide it?

Well I've never been to Sweden, but it is, in my opinion, a wonderful place. I like the architecture, culture, music, history, food and especially the music. I also think the government monopolies on alcohol are very interesting, as well as government influence in the whole country. It has acheived so much for a country of only about 8 or 9 million. And of course, IKEA:woo: who doesn't love IKEA?

So in a nutshell, I see it as a fantastic place, and would love to speak Swedish.
It's a shame only Edinburgh and UCL offer it.:frown:
PJ991
Well I've never been to Sweden, but it is, in my opinion, a wonderful place. I like the architecture, culture, music, history, food and especially the music. I also think the government monopolies on alcohol are very interesting, as well as government influence in the whole country. It has acheived so much for a country of only about 8 or 9 million. And of course, IKEA:woo: who doesn't love IKEA?

So in a nutshell, I see it as a fantastic place, and would love to speak Swedish.
It's a shame only Edinburgh and UCL offer it.:frown:

Southampton offers it as part of MFL course :suith:

I was going to apply for french and scandanavian studies at edinburgh but employmentwise i think i'm sticking to french and german... :sad:
and hahahaha i've been 4 times... since january...

we have a house there. i'm half swedish!
MissW

DAMN IT
i was in paris that day
but that's my first day of school

and i am determined not to skip this year...
Reply 95
MissW

I went in July and loved it! There was a woman who was attempting to convert me to the three-language degree once she realised I do German and French but I'm still undecided.

That is the place I can most likely see myself going. The pub was quite nice as well :smile:.
SiaSiaSia
oh my god you got in!
i'm so happy for you, i remember us manically discussing german exams a few months ago and you thought you hadn't done well
YAY! you'll be near me :biggrin: are you on the colchester campus?

I didn't do well, I epic failed my A2 exams :sad:. Naja I got EEE for the three A2 modules. But I am going to wait till my German teacher comes of her holiday and ask for a remark on my oral because I am 100% positive it is better than an E grade :s-smilie:. But yeah, I got a D overall :emo:.
Reply 97
indigo51
I went in July and loved it! There was a woman who was attempting to convert me to the three-language degree once she realised I do German and French but I'm still undecided.

That is the place I can most likely see myself going. The pub was quite nice as well :smile:.

Ooh! I'm looking forward to it! I'm tempted by the three-language degree!
Reply 98
SiaSiaSia
Southampton offers it as part of MFL course :suith:

I was going to apply for french and scandanavian studies at edinburgh but employmentwise i think i'm sticking to french and german... :sad:
and hahahaha i've been 4 times... since january...

we have a house there. i'm half swedish!

I might look into Southampton, it might fill in my 5th space.

If I did both the languages I want, it's going to be hard getting a job, as they are the most needed, but I don't want to work in languages.

Aren't you the lucky one - getting to go so much:p:

I was trying to go on a trip there, but its a nightmare. I can only fly to Stavanger or Copenhagen, and they cost a bomb, and don't fancy navigating hundreds of miles through Norway or Denmark.

Flights from London are just as expensive, except Ryanair is worth a look. And no one will come with me:frown: They don't see it as a good place to go.:rolleyes:
Reply 99
Anyone with qus for languages at Southampton , I'm just about to go into my final year (&just got back from Lille 2 months ago :biggrin:). Seulement Français, mais quand même! You may want to message me instead...Or find me lurking in the Soton forum...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending