The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
thers a limit to how popular it will be lol........ because thers only a select few who would want to join.
Reply 41
I'll join (The Name's Prad :smile:) - I've just finished my first year of BA Architecture at the University of Portsmouth :smile:
Reply 42
cool how did u find it? did you get the entry requirements on results day? whats been the best and worst parts of it? what stuff do we need to buy?
Reply 43
First year was great, in contrast to some other universities who run the most boring Archi course you can imagine. It's a heck of a lot of work, but it's not really hard work - there's just a lot to do, and you never finish it. You could go on doing a project forever and you'd never be 100% satisfied with it..

I only needed 3 Cs when I applied which I got easily (It's gone up for next year I think). Best part has been meeting the new people and working in such a great environment (The School of Architecture of Portsmouth is very nice!), and the worst part would be all the deadlines that seem to come at once. Expect to do a lot of all nighters if you're doing Architecture!

I'd applied to Cambridge (Withdrew because of college pressure based on the fact that I never wanted to go there anyway!), Bath, Nottingham, Sheffield, Plymouth and Portsmouth (got conditional offers from the last 5).

Reserve about £100 for model materials. If your course runs a History unit, then get your hands on Sir Banister Fletcher's "A History of Achitecture". It's one beast of a book, but it's the only book you'll need of History of Architecture - buy it second hand though, or off eBay. Don't dish out the RRP of £110! Also invest in the basics like cutting mats, scalpels, technical drawing pens, mechanical pencils, sketching stuff, etc.. If you're getting a new computer, wait until you're actaully at uni before you decide what you're getting - The decision is between a Mac or a PC. Industry wise, the firms that use a PC or Mac is about 50/50, so you need to be familiar with both. Software like AutoCAD or Vectorworks is pretty expensive, but can be *acquired* if you look in the right places.. :wink:

Hope that helps - ask if you want to know anything else :smile:
Reply 44
ur a star... cheers! *gives good rep* . Nothing to ask more at this stage i dont think... oh yer.. do u have to be a really good at drawing? for first year?
Reply 45
ArchiBoi
ur a star... cheers! *gives good rep* . Nothing to ask more at this stage i dont think... oh yer.. do u have to be a really good at drawing? for first year?

I'm not the greatest drawer there is, but your uni course should spend the first year toning up your drawing skills witht the aim of getting everyone to the same level. I've definately improve a lot this year though - significant as I never did A-Level or GCSE Art!
Reply 46
Hi, i'm going to Nottingham to study architecture in sept 05! I have Sheffield as my insurance but the grades for both are the same (AAB) so i probably shouldnt have bothered with an insurance but ohwell!

I also had offers from Bath (AAA) Brighton (280 points) i withdrew from UCL and was rejected by Cardiff :frown:

Is any one else going to notts?
Reply 47
Welcome to TSR! and im glad that you saw us worthy of your first post!

Good choice of uni subject too! :biggrin:

As far as im aware no one i know on TSR or in real life is going notts. The one lad i knew (from college) who applied went to newcastles visit day and notts visit day and preferred newcastle. his offer was AAB from both.

As for sheffield i dont know anyone who is going to that either, i didnt chose it for the reasons i stated earlier in this thread.

I think that if you are comfortable that you can get AAB then notts is a very highly respected uni for architecture. Some one in the year above me went to notts and loves it.

What are your predicted grades? are you comfortable you can get the grades to get in?
I also had an offer from Sheffield but the visit turned me off a bit - it seemed a less mature presentation of the faculty than the one I'd seen at Cardiff. Plus being at the top of the Arts Tower would have mad me go a bit stir-crazy I think, after a while.
Reply 49
I hated most of the open days for Architecture. Either the universities would completely side-step the point, or they'd go on for ages about how great they were. Nottingham was really bad for that imo - the guy went on for 15 minutes about how they had made it to the top of the politically biased Sunday Times league for Architecture! He didn't mention what they offered, or anything about the facilities! Sheffied was shockingly boring - I'm not sure the guys at the front even knew that the audience were prospective architecture students. They spent most of their time talking about all the different departments in the Arts Tower and what they did, or just talking amongst themselves!

So yeah - be careful which university you choose - and definately don't choose one unless you go to the open day first! Remember that this is 6/7 years of your life!
Reply 50
I'm predicted AAA so am pretty sure that i'll be going to notts, unless anything goes drastically wrong in my modules this week! I found that the nottingham open day was really useful, the presentation was a bit boring at first but once the guy got to the point it was pretty informative. i got taken on a tour around the facilities also and thought they were really good. Basically i felt more at home at notts than any of the others i visited. my tour around sheffield was pretty non-existent as i didnt go on an open day and so as im an over-seas student they arranged a private "tour". This consisted of an talk with the admissions tutor guy and then being given a map and let loose in the building by myself. i met some really nice students tho who were more than happy to answer all my questions.

I actually liked bath better than sheffield but as bath asked for higher grades than nottingham there was no point in putting them as an insurance!

Where is every1 else in here going to uni?
is anyone here applying/interested in Cambridge? I can also answer q's about UCL to some extent, as I have friends there.
Reply 52
killahbabe
Hi, i'm going to Nottingham to study architecture in sept 05! I have Sheffield as my insurance but the grades for both are the same (AAB) so i probably shouldnt have bothered with an insurance but ohwell!

I also had offers from Bath (AAA) Brighton (280 points) i withdrew from UCL and was rejected by Cardiff :frown:

Is any one else going to notts?

Heya, I'm going to Notts as well. Can't wait!
Reply 53
by god uve chosen hard alevels lol..........

personally im **** at maths so i hope it doesnt affect my degree too much!
Reply 54
ArchiBoi
by god uve chosen hard alevels lol..........

personally im **** at maths so i hope it doesnt affect my degree too much!

As long as you know enough to get by, you should be okay. A Bsc will require more maths than a BA though
Reply 55
I was hoping there'll be alot of maths/physics involved but I've been hearing otherwise.

Oh well, time for me to explore my artistic side. (I'm not so confident at it) Hope Notts have alot of those free hand drawing sessions.
Reply 56
mmm artistic explosion
Reply 57
ArchiBoi
mmm artistic explosion

**boom!!!!!!!!!!**
hehe :rolleyes: :biggrin:
I love art and design. Design is definately a career alternative if i decide I don't want to be an Architect. That or teaching (dunno why?! :p: )
Reply 58
Farid Daim
I was hoping there'll be alot of maths/physics involved but I've been hearing otherwise.

Oh well, time for me to explore my artistic side. (I'm not so confident at it) Hope Notts have alot of those free hand drawing sessions.

That's what I was hoping before I started the course - as long as you have some sort of sketching ability that you can build on, and can express your ideas visually, you'll be fine :smile:

Another tip - try to get to grips with Adobe Photoshop, Jasc Paint Shop Pro or Macromedia Fireworks (if you're REALLY struggling with the other two!) during these holidays. Just try doing general stuff - things like photo editing images and messing about with them to make them look better - don't just apply filters and be proud of yourself! Your assessors at university will be using the same programs and will instantly recognise if you've just applied a filter to a photo montage and will knock off marks for it!
Reply 59
pradster
That's what I was hoping before I started the course - as long as you have some sort of sketching ability that you can build on, and can express your ideas visually, you'll be fine :smile:

Another tip - try to get to grips with Adobe Photoshop, Jasc Paint Shop Pro or Macromedia Fireworks (if you're REALLY struggling with the other two!) during these holidays. Just try doing general stuff - things like photo editing images and messing about with them to make them look better - don't just apply filters and be proud of yourself! Your assessors at university will be using the same programs and will instantly recognise if you've just applied a filter to a photo montage and will knock off marks for it!

So they will be looking for you to be able to manipulate an image manually? like pixel by pixel? What kind of things would that be of use for though, is that within projects or just to build up your knowledge of the program? (or both :smile: )
At both the uni's i've applied to, they don't tend to use computers until further into the course, i gather you've started in the first year though. I wouldn't mind that, i quite like computers :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending