The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Thanks for the insight. I am planning to get myself a laptop and a copy of Adobe Photoshop before I leave for university. But that will have to wait until i get some money. Currently, I'm just reading up architectural books and magazines, while anxiously waiting for the results day. weee~ can't wait!
Reply 61
On my course, you're required to produce photo montages to, for example, show your proposed design in it's site, or to abstract a building, etc.. I got started on a CAD course about 7 weeks into the first year, but we we're expected to produce photo montages on our second project (around about the same time).

It's not really done pixel by pixel (unless you really want to!) but once you build up experience and know how to work the program, it's easy :smile:
Reply 62
Farid Daim
Thanks for the insight. I am planning to get myself a laptop and a copy of Adobe Photoshop before I leave for university. But that will have to wait until i get some money. Currently, I'm just reading up architectural books and magazines, while anxiously waiting for the results day. weee~ can't wait!

I'll tell you now, you're in a very small minority of Archi students if you're actually going to buy Photoshop.. :wink:
Reply 63
pradster
On my course, you're required to produce photo montages to, for example, show your proposed design in it's site, or to abstract a building, etc.. I got started on a CAD course about 7 weeks into the first year, but we we're expected to produce photo montages on our second project (around about the same time).

It's not really done pixel by pixel (unless you really want to!) but once you build up experience and know how to work the program, it's easy :smile:

oh, ok coolio :p:

yeah, about photoshop, i didn't think most people bought it either :rolleyes: *hush hush* :p: i've got version 7 and jasc paint shop pro too. they're both as good as each other i reckon. the jasc one is slightly more user friendly though in my opinion. :smile:
Reply 64
i can provide any one in the soc with a link to where archi students mainly get it from lol. i will maybe get some practice in after results day dont wanna temp fate and all that! hehehe

its just like the best subject ever in my opinion - off to watch property chain lol - im completely obssessed

im a HUGE grand designs fan - i travelled all the way from manchester to the excel centre in london to see it live a couple of weeks ago. Totally blown away buy it!! they built a HUF haus outside the exhibition! - im a huf fan lol.. im silly lol id rather go round grand designs than go to a rock concert!
Reply 65
ArchiBoi
i can provide any one in the soc with a link to where archi students mainly get it from lol. i will maybe get some practice in after results day dont wanna temp fate and all that! hehehe

its just like the best subject ever in my opinion - off to watch property chain lol - im completely obssessed

im a HUGE grand designs fan - i travelled all the way from manchester to the excel centre in london to see it live a couple of weeks ago. Totally blown away buy it!! they built a HUF haus outside the exhibition! - im a huf fan lol.. im silly lol id rather go round grand designs than go to a rock concert!

hehe :biggrin: oh, i love grand designs too. got the book and seen almost all of the episodes (although i gave up on those recap ones, cos they spent about 55mins of the 60mins showing the same stuff as the original episode!!)
i'd love to go to an exhibition, must get myself to one.

anybody heard of Emilio Ambasz??? Google him, i love his designs :biggrin:
Reply 66
btw, love your sig ArchiBoi :p: thanks, hehe :biggrin:
Reply 67
lol had a look at that designers its a bit green for me lol...

i think my obssesion is becoming rather dangerous lol cuz if i dont get in its like telling an artist he cannot paint again. lol my life will kinda lose its point ive wanted this since i was like 8 years old - thats sad isnt it.

glad u like the sig lol
Reply 68
ArchiBoi
lol had a look at that designers its a bit green for me lol...

i think my obssesion is becoming rather dangerous lol cuz if i dont get in its like telling an artist he cannot paint again. lol my life will kinda lose its point ive wanted this since i was like 8 years old - thats sad isnt it.

glad u like the sig lol

lol :biggrin:

nah, thats not sad, i've wanted to be an Architect too, as long as i can remember. I found it so strange at school and college that other people didn't know what they wanted to do at uni or as a career! :p: its always occured to me :biggrin: suppose it makes it easier, hopefully i won't be disappointed by the course/career! :p:
I think there's something to be said for trying different careers - I'm quite happy that I'm coming to architecture late as its given me the chance to travel extensively and really understand the world. Architecture is clearly a great LT career choice, but the problem is that starting salaries aren't incredible, so that limits your ability to go and see the world when you're younger. But on the other hand, its great that you have both found something you're really passionate about early on.

Not a huge fan of property chain - I like Kirsty but that series just seems to be about people getting bridging loans, debating prices, being awkward buggers. Not very inspiring, a bit moribund I think. But I agree that Grand Designs is definitely worth watching.
Reply 70
jrhartley
Architecture is clearly a great LT career choice, but the problem is that starting salaries aren't incredible, so that limits your ability to go and see the world when you're younger.

I get what you mean, its not great for the hours you work, but then in the scale of things its better than most apparently.
Reply 71
yer the salaries are not fantastic but id much rather be doing that and gettin less than something really boring like accountancy or something lol......even tho u wud prob get more money.

i will make money from it, im determined lol - ArchBoi's Partnership all the way
Reply 72
lol, yeah if you're good you can be very successful and very rich. I just hope i don't get stuck in a dead end office and i explore which styles of architecture i like the most and are the best at.

tbh, a salary is not everything, its what you make of it and whether you enjoy what you're doing that matters. Although, money is nice :biggrin: Compared to other professions though architecture is pretty good i thought anyway :confused:
Reply 73
its not great considering the time you spend - most other people who spend that amount of time are like doctors who earn tonnes.

typically they start around here on around 21K

i think you will still be comfortable.. my nextdoor neighbour is an architect from notting ham, he lives in a 5 bed dettached house, thats pretty funky and drives a 2odd grand audi, and his wife has a merc c-lass coupe! - he works for a big firm, been ther a while, doenst own it tho

for me thats a good wage.. maybe not for some southeners though!
Reply 74
Many architects die penniless.. but personally I reckon that's because they spend too much :tongue:

Work hard and reap the rewards. Simple as, really..
Reply 75
pradster
I'll tell you now, you're in a very small minority of Archi students if you're actually going to buy Photoshop.. :wink:

Yo pradster. what do you mean?? where esle can i get it?

About being unpaid thing, I think the satisfaction in claiming as a designer of a giant monument that will stand tall for several thousand years for many people to enjoy and appreciate, is worth much more than the extra 2mil pounds you earn.

"Who's the architect of that tower?"
"That is designed by Farid Daim Architects"
"Wow"
Farid Daim
Yo pradster. what do you mean?? where esle can i get it?

About being unpaid thing, I think the satisfaction in claiming as a designer of a giant monument that will stand tall for several thousand years for many people to enjoy and appreciate, is worth much more than the extra 2mil pounds you earn.

"Who's the architect of that tower?"
"That is designed by Farid Daim Architects"
"Wow"

I've sent you a PM about the Photoshop. I'm guessing its not the sort of thing we can discuss publicly here! ;-)

Agreed about your second point - I'm looking forward to designing blots on the landscape that will stand for many years to come!
Reply 77
thanks for the PM.

"unpaid", pffttt! I meant "underpaid"!
Reply 78
You'll find most of the software they try to get you to buy at uni (such as CAD and Photo-editing software) can be *aquired*. :wink:
Reply 79
lol thats the same with most software though.

I was wondering what kind of pay you get for your first year of work in practice? so i can budget my finances

Latest

Trending

Trending