The Student Room Group

Is it possible to enrol in two colleges/sixth forms?

Hey all...well im in a sticky situation. Ive applied for a really good sixth form college which i've had to pay £100 for in advance for books/materials, but the bad thing is, is that you only get £50 back if you wish to withdraw your application now.
I don't see the point in withdrawing if ill loose that much money, and i want to try out a new environment, BUT im not sure i'll like it. Thats why i want to enrol in my school's sixth form, as a backup. If i don't like it, can they keep a place open for me so that i can come back later?

QUICK...enrollment for my sixth form is in one hour :eek3:

Scroll to see replies

Ask your school - they're the only ones that'll know.

Personally, I'd give the good school a shot, you may really like it. If you don't, you can ask your current school if you can go back there, but I don't know what their answer would be.
Reply 2
Is that at Woodhouse College by any chance?
Reply 3
yes you can enrol at both. my mate did because she wanted to take 2 a levels at each becuase they didn't all run in one. this was agreed before hand
Reply 4
yes you can
i do.
Reply 5
The_Goose
yes you can enrol at both. my mate did because she wanted to take 2 a levels at each becuase they didn't all run in one. this was agreed before hand

Not all colleges allow that though as they don't get any funding for non-full time students. At my college, for example, you have to do at least 3 A levels.

Having said that, one girl in my form tutor said that she would stay at my college for 2 weeks and then decide whether she would go back to her old school's sixth form. I don't know whether she enroled at both but she ended up staying at college.
I know someone who did this, but he took all his exams at the one he attended most of the time.

Edit: Ignore me, I really should read the original post properly before replying.
Reply 7
rapha
Not all colleges allow that though as they don't get any funding for non-full time students. At my college, for example, you have to do at least 3 A levels.

Having said that, one girl in my form tutor said that she would stay at my college for 2 weeks and then decide whether she would go back to her old school's sixth form. I don't know whether she enroled at both but she ended up staying at college.

I dont actually want to attend two colleges at the same time, i just want to have place at both. Oh that does sound a bit selfish doesnt it =/

And yes, it is woodhouse :eek: How did you know
Reply 8
fatP!E
I dont actually want to attend two colleges at the same time, i just want to have place at both. Oh that does sound a bit selfish doesnt it =/

And yes, it is woodhouse :eek: How did you know

The £100 "contribution" gave it away, didn't like that either.
I'm a sucker for a good college, see you in 6L if you decide 2 go!
If you go to the new college and see if you like, and then if you don't I'm sure youre 6th form will let you back in.
Reply 10
Econight
The £100 "contribution" gave it away, didn't like that either.
I'm a sucker for a good college, see you in 6L if you decide 2 go!

Hey...i decided to come after all :rolleyes:...after a massive argument with my parents about whether or not i should go to woodhouse or latymer. But in the end woodhouse shone through xD
Do you mind if we switch to PM if i can ask you a few questions?

Thanks all for your advice - I asked my school and they said i can walk back in anytime within a week or so =D
Reply 11
fatP!E
Hey...i decided to come after all :rolleyes:...after a massive argument with my parents about whether or not i should go to woodhouse or latymer. But in the end woodhouse shone through xD
Do you mind if we switch to PM if i can ask you a few questions?

Thanks all for your advice - I asked my school and they said i can walk back in anytime within a week or so =D

Good decision. I'm sure you won't regret it! (well.... you might :ninja:)

So what subjects are you doing?
Reply 12
rapha
Good decision. I'm sure you won't regret it! (well.... you might :ninja:)

So what subjects are you doing?

Haha thanks =D Im taking, biology, chemistry, geography and english litereature. I may add on physics/history. Do you think thats a bit extra to be doing 5?
Reply 13
fatP!E
Haha thanks =D Im taking, biology, chemistry, geography and english litereature. I may add on physics/history. Do you think thats a bit extra to be doing 5?

I don't know about the workload because I only did 4 subjects. But I have two friends who did 5. I know one of them did really well (5As overall - 300/300 in maths and an A in both C3 and C4 which he took a year early). The other one I haven't asked.

I'd say take 5 and if you can't cope with all of them you can drop one after a few weeks. If there are 5 subjects that you think you will enjoy, why not? Have you applied for 5 though? Because if you haven't then they might not let you. My friend got 10A*s and asked to take further maths as her fifth subject but wasn't allowed. But, of course, if you already have an offer to do 5 subjects then that won't be a problem. :smile:
Reply 14
rapha
I don't know about the workload because I only did 4 subjects. But I have two friends who did 5. I know one of them did really well (5As overall - 300/300 in maths and an A in both C3 and C4 which he took a year early). The other one I haven't asked.

I'd say take 5 and if you can't cope with all of them you can drop one after a few weeks. If there are 5 subjects that you think you will enjoy, why not? Have you applied for 5 though? Because if you haven't then they might not let you. My friend got 10A*s and asked to take further maths as her fifth subject but wasn't allowed. But, of course, if you already have an offer to do 5 subjects then that won't be a problem. :smile:

Raph, could you give me a quick sum up of Woodhouse?
Reply 15
Econight
Raph, could you give me a quick sum up of Woodhouse?

:yy:
- They offer lots of extracurricular activities (compulsory enrichment activities which includes all sorts of things, guest speakers often come in, Duke of Edinburgh, mentoring for maths and english at the local secondary school etc.)
- They are very university-focused so they provide a lot of support with the university application process and extra support for those who are applying to Oxbridge. Their UCAS system is extremely organised and they have internal application deadlines for each subject
- You will be mainly surrounded by very bright students
- Students are generally nice, mature and very sociable
- There's a free mini-gym

:nn:
- Some teachers are unnecessarily strict and will treat you like you're in primary school (I have a teacher who doesn't allow students to yawn during his lessons, even if you cover your mouth)
- Lots of students who like to bum suck the teachers
- Lots of students who like to show off
- There's still a few students who I have no idea why they are there (it's certainly not because they want to learn anything). < This, however, is true at most other colleges
- I find the canteen food expensive
- There's a zero tolerance rule, meaning that if you're 30 seconds late, you won'y be allowed into your lesson (this can actually be seen as a good thing).

This is all I can think of for now.
Overall, I really love it. :yep:
Reply 16
rapha
- They offer lots of extracurricular activities (compulsory enrichment activities which includes all sorts of things, guest speakers often come in, Duke of Edinburgh, mentoring for maths and english at the local secondary school etc.)
- They are very university-focused so they provide a lot of support with the university application process and extra support for those who are applying to Oxbridge. Their UCAS system is extremely organised and they have internal application deadlines for each subject

- Some teachers are unnecessarily strict and will treat you like you're in primary school (I have a teacher who doesn't allow students to yawn during his lessons, even if you cover your mouth)
- There's still a few students who I have no idea why they are there (it's certainly not because they want to learn anything). < This, however, is true at most other colleges
- There's a zero tolerance rule, meaning that if you're 30 seconds late, you won'y be allowed into your lesson (this can actually be seen as a good thing).

Ok I'm now concerned, I think I might regret going to the college.
Reply 17
Econight
Ok I'm now concerned, I think I might regret going to the college.

Go to the induction day tomorrow and try to get as much of the feel of the college as you can. However, bear in mind you won't have any proper lessons tomorrow, so you can't make a fair judgement simply based on that. What subjects are you doing?
Reply 18
rapha
Go to the induction day tomorrow and try to get as much of the feel of the college as you can. However, bear in mind you won't have any proper lessons tomorrow, so you can't make a fair judgement simply based on that. What subjects are you doing?

Maths Further Maths(Might be law if I dont get the change), Physics, Economics
Reply 19
rapha

I went to the induction day today, and i dunno if ths was just me, but the people there are Massive, I mean literally there are so many people, and so many tall people at that. :eek:
How many people roughly are there in the school? Surely it can't be 800as some girl in my class said :|

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending