The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Orangeflower6
Thank you, your advice has been really helpful! My choices already made are Liverpool, HYMS and UEA, so it's nice to see that you think along the same lines. I have decided to avoid Bristol, as you say it seems to risky. I am now considering between Leicester, Aberdeen and Keele. For Keele i have 183 hours volunteering as it stands, but an extra 2hrs and 30 mins is added onto that each week. Do you have any idea what kind of stats you need to be interviewed at Keele based on academics? I've read that the first 100 they interview is based off of academic score and the rest are based off of the R and R form. I'm beginning to think this may be a safer option for me than Aberdeen/Leicester, I'm currently reading through last years forum to try and work this out. What do you think?

I would stick with Leicester or Aberdeen, as anything that assess PS (or Keele's R & R form) is hugely subjective, and you just don't know whether they are going to like the way you reflect and phrase things. Also, as one of the few Unis not relying heavily on UKCAT or BMAT, Keele is going to be heavily subscribed by people with amazing PSs and weaker UKCAT, as they know this is likely to be their only route into medicine, so however good yours is, there are likely to be people there who have done a whole lot more. And your stats are likely to be good enough to get you an interview at places where it is a clear, cold ranking based on numbers, with nothing subjective to worry about. @meddad knows what he is talking about, so Leicester is looking good. Also bear in mind that Aberdeen carries forward your pre-interview score to count 50% towards your post-interview score for offers, so if you get that 2nd A* prediction, and your UKCAT compares favourably to previous successful applicants, you aren't relying quite so heavily on just interview performance. Keele needs pretty high academics to get an interview based on those alone, and your GCSEs probably wouldn't make the cut, I'm afraid, they are excellent, but within the world of medical applicants, they would not stand out, sorry!
Original post by xxxsbxxx
anyone have any experience with southampton? would ukcat 767 be likely to get an interview or would I be safer applying somewhere with an almost guaranteed interview like leicester/SGUL?

A UKCAT score of 767 will get you an interview anywhere that ranks applicants purely on UKCAT score!
Southampton have alluded that their cut off will be in the region of 640+ this year, apparently, though I have no personal knowledge of this
Hi,
I just wanted some advice on med schools to apply to.
My GCSEs results were not very good with 3 A*, 4 A, 4 B and half course RE - A*.
English Lang - B, English Lit - A

I have got the following in my ASs
Chemistry, Biology, Philosopy&Ethics --- 3 As
Maths - B

UKCAT - Average 730 SJT - Band 1

I was thinking of applying to UAE, Liverpool, Sheffield. Not sure whether to go for Barts or Nottingham?

Can anyone advise...
Original post by xxxsbxxx
Ah thank you, so would applying to newcastle, sheffield, southampton and nottingham give me a chance of getting three interviews?? because if so then yay!! haha

Absolutely. Don't know what your GCSEs are for Nottingham, but Plymouth and Glasgow also rank on UKCAT and Kings are pretty UKCAT heavy too.
Original post by GANFYD
I would stick with Leicester or Aberdeen, as anything that assess PS (or Keele's R & R form) is hugely subjective, and you just don't know whether they are going to like the way you reflect and phrase things. Also, as one of the few Unis not relying heavily on UKCAT or BMAT, Keele is going to be heavily subscribed by people with amazing PSs and weaker UKCAT, as they know this is likely to be their only route into medicine, so however good yours is, there are likely to be people there who have done a whole lot more. And your stats are likely to be good enough to get you an interview at places where it is a clear, cold ranking based on numbers, with nothing subjective to worry about. @meddad knows what he is talking about, so Leicester is looking good. Also bear in mind that Aberdeen carries forward your pre-interview score to count 50% towards your post-interview score for offers, so if you get that 2nd A* prediction, and your UKCAT compares favourably to previous successful applicants, you aren't relying quite so heavily on just interview performance. Keele needs pretty high academics to get an interview based on those alone, and your GCSEs probably wouldn't make the cut, I'm afraid, they are excellent, but within the world of medical applicants, they would not stand out, sorry!

Thank you, this is really helpful! I am just concerned about the cut off for Leicester going up this year, he said I was borderline and I think the UKCAT cut off itself may go up this year. Along with my A's at GCSE, I feel I may be slightly too low in the rankings. I also fear for Aberdeen that my UKCAT is insufficient, but I don't really have better options. At the open day for Keele I was told 7A*, but mine doesn't include eng lang and maths and I'm not sure if it has to. Thank you for all of your help, I'm definitely going to have to have a think about this 4th option and do a lot more research. At least it's narrowed down!
Hey, I need some advice on where I should pick for my last two uni's.
GCSE: 6A*s 4As
AS: AAAAB
A2 Predictions: A*AA (plus an A* prediction in gen studies)
UKCAT: 713

I've decided on QMUL and Southampton, and then SGUL for bio med but where should I apply for the last two? I want two uni's where I would have a really good chance of getting interviews.
Thanks
Original post by Worried abc
Hi,
My GCSEs results were not very good with 3 A*, 4 A, 4 B and half course RE - A*.

Maths - B

I was thinking of applying to UAE, Liverpool, Sheffield. Not sure whether to go for Barts or Nottingham?

Can anyone advise...

The strength in your application is your UKCAT score, so you should really be looking at Med Schools that select on UKCAT: Newcastle, Sheffield, Southampton, Plymouth, Glasgow, and to a degree, Kings. Check fine points for GCSE criteria, but if you meet them, you would be more or less guaranteed interviews, barring big swings in UKCAT averages.
UEA, Leicester, HYMS, QUB, SGUL, Birmingham use GCSEs and UKCAT and you can score your application on their websites, then check old threads on here to see if you would be competitive
Nottingham, Liverpool use GCSEs, UKCAT and PS to rank applicants, so brings in a level of subjectivity, and you have not mentioned your PS?
Barts uses UCAS score and UKCAT 50:50 and your UCAS score would not be particularly high, though your UKCAT may compensate for this.
Seems to me that you can fairly well guarantee yourself interviews by applying to your strengths, which means apply to UKCAT heavy Unis as above.
Good luck
Original post by Worried abc
Hi,

Maths - B

Can anyone advise...

Sheffield looks good in my opinion as they are ranking UKCAT this year but UEA don't put much emphasis on UKCAT and PS makes up 33% of their assessment and GCSES also make up 33%. Liverpool are PS heavy with a low UKCAT cut off so it depends how good your PS is, you would loose marks for your GCSEs though, have a look at their scoring system. Try Newcastle, Southampton, Manchester etc as they are UKCAT heavy and would almost guarantee an interview without having to rely on the subjectivity of PS assessment.
No one answered last time, so could anyone advise me where to apply?

GCSES: 1 A* 10 A's 1B
Ukcat: 650 VR
740 QR
650 AR
Band 3 SJT (680 avg)
Original post by HopelessMedic
Hey, I need some advice on where I should pick for my last two uni's.
GCSE: 6A*s 4As
AS: AAAAB
A2 Predictions: A*AA (plus an A* prediction in gen studies)
UKCAT: 713

I've decided on QMUL and Southampton, and then SGUL for bio med but where should I apply for the last two? I want two uni's where I would have a really good chance of getting interviews.
Thanks

The strength in your application is your UKCAT score, so you should really be looking at Med Schools that select on UKCAT: Newcastle, Sheffield, Southampton, Plymouth, Glasgow, and to a degree, Kings. Check fine points for GCSE criteria, but if you meet them, you would be more or less guaranteed interviews, barring big swings in UKCAT averages.
Leicester, HYMS, QUB, SGUL, Birmingham use GCSEs and UKCAT and you can score your application on their websites, then check old threads on here to see if you would be competitive
Nottingham, UEA and Liverpool use GCSEs, UKCAT and PS to rank applicants, so brings in a level of subjectivity, and you have not mentioned your PS?
Manchester ranks UKCAT and then you have to complete their version of the PS which they score, so again, is subjective.
Seems to me that you can fairly well guarantee yourself interviews by applying to your strengths, which means apply to UKCAT heavy Unis as above.
Good luck
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
No one answered last time, so could anyone advise me where to apply?

GCSES: 1 A* 10 A's 1B
Ukcat: 650 VR
740 QR
650 AR
Band 3 SJT (680 avg)

Where have you looked at? Where have you ruled out? Where do you think might suit your stats? What are your predicted A2s? Are you planning on sitting the BMAT?
People do not mind helping out, but they are not here to do all the work for you
Original post by GANFYD
Where have you looked at? Where have you ruled out? Where do you think might suit your stats? What are your predicted A2s? Are you planning on sitting the BMAT?
People do not mind helping out, but they are not here to do all the work for you

Predicted a levels: AAA
No BMAT
Stengths probably extra curriculars,
Anywhere but london unis would prefer scotland but really anywhere
Sheffield looks good in my opinion as they are ranking UKCAT this year but UEA don't put much emphasis on UKCAT and PS makes up 33% of their assessment and GCSES also make up 33%. Liverpool are PS heavy with a low UKCAT cut off so it depends how good your PS is, you would loose marks for your GCSEs though, have a look at their scoring system. Try Newcastle, Southampton, Manchester etc as they are UKCAT heavy and would almost guarantee an interview without having to rely on the subjectivity of PS assessment.

Where did you get this information? UEA doesn't use the PS for selection, from their FAQ page, it seems that it's just a preliminary check to see if you actually want to do medicine and haven't, for example, written a personal statement about engineering or about how you really really like butts or whatnot. I may be interpreting it wrong, though.

Also, Manchester also have their Personal Qualities form (not sure of the actual name) which you have to fill out, which they will use to help select for interview which is similar to the Personal Statement but tailored by them, so I don't think it's a matter of smashing the UKCAT and getting an interview there, but I may be wrong, I've never done much research into Manchester because I don't want to stay where I am to go to university :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
Where did you get this information? UEA doesn't use the PS for selection.

Also, Manchester also have their Personal Qualities form (not sure of the actual name) which you have to fill out, which they will use to help select for interview which is similar to the Personal Statement but tailored by them, so I don't think it's a matter of smashing the UKCAT and getting an interview there, but I may be wrong, I've never done much research into Manchester because I don't want to stay where I am to go to university :colondollar:

http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf Go to the UEA section- it's there. They do use PS as 33%! I haven't looked into Manchester either but I am aware that their UKCAT is excellent for here, which is what I meant. It was just a suggestion to look into it that's all!
http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteCollectionDocuments/MSC-Entry-requirements-for-UK-medical-schools.pdf Go to the UEA section- it's there. They do use PS as 33%! I haven't looked into Manchester either but I am aware that their UKCAT is excellent for here, which is what I meant. It was just a suggestion to look into it that's all!

Huh, that's bizaar. They don't seem to suggest that they use it at all on their website other than just to check it's suitable? The page itself doesn't really say how it uses it toward interview selection also. I thought it was only used at interview.
I actually didn't realise that, thank you for telling me, though :h:

Oh yeah, definitely, Their UKCAT puts them in great stead, I was just trying to add some extra information, sorry for any miscommunication issues :colondollar:

EDIT: I also edited my response before your reply which you may have missed, not sure if it changes anything but oh well :colondollar:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Gogregg
Huh, that's bizaar. They don't seem to suggest that they use it at all on their website other than just to check it's suitable? The page itself doesn't really say how it uses it toward interview selection also. I thought it was only used at interview.
I actually didn't realise that, thank you for telling me, though :h:

Oh yeah, definitely, Their UKCAT puts them in great stead, I was just trying to add some extra information, sorry for any miscommunication issues :colondollar:

EDIT: I also edited my response before your reply which you may have missed, not sure if it changes anything but oh well :colondollar:

Yeah, it says it makes up 33% selection for interview but then also says it's reviewed informally before interview and used at interview. Not really sure what to think but this document is what I have been using, it was provided to me by my form tutor! No don't worry about it, they can look into it and see what they think for themselves, sorry aswell:h:
Yeah, it says it makes up 33% selection for interview but then also says it's reviewed informally before interview and used at interview. Not really sure what to think but this document is what I have been using, it was provided to me by my form tutor! No don't worry about it, they can look into it and see what they think for themselves, sorry aswell:h:

I think I'm going to e-mail admissions to clear up this ambiguity :lol:
It is an amazing document if I'm honest, and I have used it to some extent myself :biggrin:
Yes, it's definitely a good thing for people to do at least some research for themselves :h:
Original post by Gogregg
I think I'm going to e-mail admissions to clear up this ambiguity :lol:
It is an amazing document if I'm honest, and I have used it to some extent myself :biggrin:
Yes, it's definitely a good thing for people to do at least some research for themselves :h:

Haha yes that sounds like the best idea, if you would please let me know what they say then that would be great as I'm also applying:h: Yes it is, I'm just trying to decide my last option at the minute! I agree!
Haha yes that sounds like the best idea, if you would please let me know what they say then that would be great as I'm also applying:h: Yes it is, I'm just trying to decide my last option at the minute! I agree!

Ooh, where else are you applying? :biggrin:
What are you thinking for your last option?
Original post by Gogregg
Ooh, where else are you applying? :biggrin:
What are you thinking for your last option?

HYMS and Liverpool! Trying to decide between Aberdeen, Leicester and Keele for my last:s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending