The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Thanks yes when I searched I found that. I was hoping to get some opinions from some other students :smile:
Reply 2
Hey, I've had a bit more experience since I wrote that post so I'd be happy to answer any other specific questions you have!

Are you referring to the guy that just turned up on NMM, went "Glasgow is rubbish, I just graduated and hated it!" and left? :p: Either troll or in the minority. I doubt you'll find a medical school where 100% of the students loved it. There'll often be one or two that aren't really into medicine regardless but are sticking with it for some unknown reason. One of the anatomy teachers at Glasgow realised in his 2nd year that medicine wasn't for him but he "wasn't a quitter" so he stuck with it, tried many different specialities after graduating, still didn't like it but realised he loved anatomy. He's now in a job that he loves.

My opinion of Glasgow so far has been totally the opposite, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else! I haven't had a lot of clinical teaching yet but the doctors I've met seem really keen to teach. Yes, it's not amazingly well organised but I challenge you to find a perfectly organised hospital. :p:

If you struggle with something in PBL, you can discuss it with the rest of your group/year either at PBL feedback or before the scenarios. The majority of PBLs will also have an associated FRS where you'll have plenty of opportunity to ask questions. There's also an FAQ section online where you can submit questions if you're really stumped. (I've only done this once and this was just to ask for clarification between two similar terms that I encountered when revising an old topic.) Difficult topics usually have lectures associated too. They're sometimes before the PBL session to give you an overview so you're not thrown in the deep end.

I'm very pro-PBL as I feel it's the best and most efficient way of learning for me. Clinical medicine is basically PBL anyway!
Reply 3
I am not really qualified to answer, but glasgow is my first choice!

I think PBL is good from what I know so far, you have to think for yourself, and because you have PBL feedback you need to make sure you understand everything. I think you would have more oppertunity to get help from your peers etc this way than on a more traditional course, where everyone may come out of a lecture not knowing a thing and feeling completely out of their depth. From my experience it is easier to learn by doing your own research than just being talked at for a few hours. Also I have a short attention span so I don't think all lectures is for me!
Reply 4
Meltdown30
Hey, I've had a bit more experience since I wrote that post so I'd be happy to answer any other specific questions you have!

Are you referring to the guy that just turned up on NMM, went "Glasgow is rubbish, I just graduated and hated it!" and left? :p: Either troll or in the minority. I doubt you'll find a medical school where 100% of the students loved it. There'll often be one or two that aren't really into medicine regardless but are sticking with it for some unknown reason. One of the anatomy teachers at Glasgow realised in his 2nd year that medicine wasn't for him but he "wasn't a quitter" so he stuck with it, tried many different specialities after graduating, still didn't like it but realised he loved anatomy. He's now in a job that he loves.

My opinion of Glasgow so far has been totally the opposite, I couldn't imagine being anywhere else! I haven't had a lot of clinical teaching yet but the doctors I've met seem really keen to teach. Yes, it's not amazingly well organised but I challenge you to find a perfectly organised hospital. :p:

If you struggle with something in PBL, you can discuss it with the rest of your group/year either at PBL feedback or before the scenarios. The majority of PBLs will also have an associated FRS where you'll have plenty of opportunity to ask questions. There's also an FAQ section online where you can submit questions if you're really stumped. (I've only done this once and this was just to ask for clarification between two similar terms that I encountered when revising an old topic.) Difficult topics usually have lectures associated too. They're sometimes before the PBL session to give you an overview so you're not thrown in the deep end.

I'm very pro-PBL as I feel it's the best and most efficient way of learning for me. Clinical medicine is basically PBL anyway!

Lol, well that guy was certainly a factor in my worrying :p:

Thank you for reassuring me, very interesting post. :smile:
My inital gut feeling was "YES YES YES" when I came away from the open day so I'm going to run with that. My gut feelings are normally right
Reply 6

Thanks, interesting :smile:

I've applied and I'd be over the moon if I got an offer. Completely over my apprehensions, silly me listening to one person on nmm :rolleyes:
Reply 7
lekky
Thanks, interesting :smile:

I've applied and I'd be over the moon if I got an offer. Completely over my apprehensions, silly me listening to one person on nmm :rolleyes:

no problem, good luck, feel free to pm for advice - particularly if you get an interview at dundee or bute if you applied there..
Reply 8
Anyone know when Glasgow usually gets back to applicants?
I heard they were pretty late last year

i want all my replies now :frown:
Reply 9
I got an interview for Glasgow today :-) anyone else in the same boat? I am so excited, and nervous...
Reply 10
^^ Well done. Whens it for? did you get it through email/post?
Hope it goes well.

My app was acknowledged a while ago but no interview offer
Reply 11
lekky
^^ Well done. Whens it for? did you get it through email/post?
Hope it goes well.

My app was acknowledged a while ago but no interview offer

Thank you, I hope it does too. Glasgow is my first choice and the fact that it is my first interview is a bit daunting... It is next friday at midday. I am quite local which may explain the lack of notice.

I got it by email today, but I think it said their would be a letter too. Email came with lots of attatchments about what to do when you get there, the glasgow curriculum, hep b policy, data protection etc v. interesting.

Hope you get news soon :smile:
Reply 12
Anyone knows if glasgow have sent interview offers to international students??
dyltdragon
Anyone knows if glasgow have sent interview offers to international students??

They have, just received one a couple of days ago!
Reply 14
girlfairy28
They have, just received one a couple of days ago!

Damn... I didn't receive one.. haha.. eh... can I know wad's your ukcat results??
Reply 15
dyltdragon
Damn... I didn't receive one.. haha.. eh... can I know wad's your ukcat results??

kind of out of topic here, but are u doing your ns now?
Reply 16
Is is true that Glasgow are not giving out conditional offers without an interview this year?
Sunny1171
Is is true that Glasgow are not giving out conditional offers without an interview this year?

Yes, no offers without interview this year.
acas13
Thank you, I hope it does too. Glasgow is my first choice and the fact that it is my first interview is a bit daunting... It is next friday at midday. I am quite local which may explain the lack of notice.

I got it by email today, but I think it said their would be a letter too. Email came with lots of attatchments about what to do when you get there, the glasgow curriculum, hep b policy, data protection etc v. interesting.

Hope you get news soon :smile:

I'm going to interview on friday as well. I don't think distance has anything to do with it as I live in Thurso(a bit west from John o' Groats) and still got the same notice.:wink:
dyltdragon

655 average!

Latest

Trending

Trending