The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Strange university ratings

I am planning to study History, and Southampton might be one of my choices. But I am quite puzzled with the ratings- The Times Good University Guide says for History it's number 12, while Guardian claims that for History and History of Art it's only 37th! So really, what the heck is that? :confused:

I really like the location of Southampton BUT I want a really challenging uni, which it is not if I trust Guardian and is if I trust The Times.

Anyone know why is that so?:eek3:
Reply 1
League tables - don't pay any attention.
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
League tables are nonsense. Do your own research.
Reply 3
If you're going to use league tables (and you shouldn't), then go with The Times :smile:
Reply 4
Isn't there any truth in the league tables? I mean, really, Oxbridge should be top, shouldn't they? And what kind of reasearch can I do? I don't know if course will be challenging enough only because it looks interesting..
Alex D
If you're going to use league tables (and you shouldn't), then go with The Times :smile:
:ditto: Guardian is unreliable; for Southampton Maths the ranking changed about 20 places one year.
League tables have nothing to do with whether a course is challenging or not...if anything, the lower a uni, the more challenging it is to do well, as you have to survive without decent teaching :p:
Reply 7
I think one needs to consider ratings and the carry out more research. If you are determine and hard-working, you will excel in any institution. Cheers

Latest

Trending

Trending