The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
There's not too many people who use the university specific forums. Perhaps you'll get more replies from the General University Discussion forum.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Reply 2
charley_says
Posted this just now but in the wrong forum, so...:

I know it's not BPS accredited, but has anyone here taken it, and what's it like? Is there any way of doing a conversion course pretty easily? Just a list of good and bad points would be helpful :smile: x

It's great. Everyone from the department is really friendly too.

It's not BPS accredited right now because it's a brand new course for 2009, but it has everything that is required for BPS accreditation... meaning that it should be be from next year. Even if you started in this year, like I did, that would mean that you'd still get the accreditation at the end of the course (so I was told by the head of the department). Basically it's just a minor thing that's being ironed out -- it's not the same issue as with other non-BPS accredited courses. :yes:
Reply 3
G50
It's great. Everyone from the department is really friendly too.

It's not BPS accredited right now because it's a brand new course for 2009, but it has everything that is required for BPS accreditation... meaning that it should be be from next year. Even if you started in this year, like I did, that would mean that you'd still get the accreditation at the end of the course (so I was told by the head of the department). Basically it's just a minor thing that's being ironed out -- it's not the same issue as with other non-BPS accredited courses. :yes:

Thankyou so much, really helpful. I love aber so damn much so i really want to go there, but i didn't want to end up with a degree that didn't mean anything. so now i can go to aber! :woo:

I'm already going to rocky horror this year :biggrin:
Reply 4
yeah, I'm applying for the psych at Aber this year (starting there in 2010 hopefully) and it worried me that it isn't accredited but i've looked into it and yes they are trying for it at the moment but even if thye don't get it in our time, you can do a 'top up' type course with the open university. You could even do it while doing your 3 years at aber! :smile:

Also, i went to a lectuer there during my half term week and met Rachel Rahman who is one of the psychology lecturers there. She seemed really nice and really enthusiastric too which is good. The lecture was given by ?Gareth Hall? and he was really good too. The department they're in at the moment is only temporary, by the time the 2010 students get in they are going to be in a new department in the Pen Bryn accomodation building and it will be brand new in 2010 :woo:

Hope I helped a bit
Reply 5
Tia_Pixie
yeah, I'm applying for the psych at Aber this year (starting there in 2010 hopefully) and it worried me that it isn't accredited but i've looked into it and yes they are trying for it at the moment but even if thye don't get it in our time, you can do a 'top up' type course with the open university. You could even do it while doing your 3 years at aber! :smile:

Also, i went to a lectuer there during my half term week and met Rachel Rahman who is one of the psychology lecturers there. She seemed really nice and really enthusiastric too which is good. The lecture was given by ?Gareth Hall? and he was really good too. The department they're in at the moment is only temporary, by the time the 2010 students get in they are going to be in a new department in the Pen Bryn accomodation building and it will be brand new in 2010 :woo:

Hope I helped a bit

Yes, next year is going to rock. The BPS accreditation is a bit to do with that actually (getting our own proper department building).
Reply 6
G50
Yes, next year is going to rock. The BPS accreditation is a bit to do with that actually (getting our own proper department building).

I take it you are at least a current first year? I can't wait for aber! Assuming I get an offer that is lol, if i don't i'll probably wait until next year.
Reply 7
Tia_Pixie
I take it you are at least a current first year? I can't wait for aber! Assuming I get an offer that is lol, if i don't i'll probably wait until next year.

Yep, I am. If you've got any questions about the course/department/Aber, you can send me a private message through my profile and I'll get back to you. :smile:
Reply 8
Tia_Pixie

Hope I helped a bit

Christ I haven't been online in forever, sorry this is such a late reply. That top-up course is awesome, especially if you can do it while you're doing the degree! Plus if we get a shiny new department I'll be happy :smile: lol. Thanks! Hopefully see you next year then :biggrin:
Reply 9
Congratulations on your offers!

During February - April, the Psychology department holds visiting days, to give you the chance to see the department, and chat 1-1 with lecturers. I found it very useful in helping me to pick my firm choice.

The Psychology visiting days are on:

Wednesday 10th February
Saturday 20th February
Saturday 6th March
Wednesday 14th April

Latest