The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ArcadiaHouse
Hence why I'm keeping mines close to my chest :ninja: There's only one girl in my year applying for mod langs, which is a good thing really as there's no one to compare your app to :o:

My 'friend' who stabbed me in the back is being predicted a B for AH English, and I'm the only one in the class being predicted an A. In the words of Kirsten: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! :colone:

:wink:

Just to spite her you might want to sit next to her one day, turn around and speak in a pretend hush while holding your hand (ineffectively) next to your mouth and say very obviously "I got predited an A for English!"

Ape Gone Insane
:yep:

I love this kind of information. Secret, lost :awesome:

It's hardly secret, even I know about them. :p:
TheUnbeliever

How much does Edinburgh take into account those 'extra factors'? :o: I called them and they said I had lots of "points", and they said that was a good help, but I'm being completely paranoid about it ... :sigh:
namedeprived
It's hardly secret, even I know about them. :p:

Mental exercise:

How do you prove sin x differentiates to cos x? Ask your teacher if you can't figure it out and I can bet you'll get much hand-waving in response. :p:
LuhLah
Ohhh I'm glad I had my PS written over the summer lol :s-smilie:

:sexface:

I wrote down all the points I wanted to make over the summer and wrote like a 6 page essay instead of a draft :eek3: and started it 'properly' in October, after I was given a ref. :yep:
ukdragon37
Just to spite her you might want to sit next to her one day, turn around and speak in a pretend hush while holding your hand (ineffectively) next to your mouth and say very obviously "I got predited an A for English!"

:nutcase: She will definitely be made aware of this fact before she sends her UCAS off.

:colone:
Reply 4426
When is everyone sending away their applications? I'm just waiting on my hefty back dated ema + travel costs coming in from the college (£347 or summat) this friday and then I'll send it off.

lol i'll prolly want to change mai course choices the minute after I send it :rolleyes:
ArcadiaHouse
:frown: Teamwork can suck. Can you not ask more people?

Sadly no especially since it's tomorrow! I said meeting the night before was a bad idea but do they listen...NO!!
LuhLah
When is everyone sending away their applications? I'm just waiting on my hefty back dated ema + travel costs coming in from the college (£347 or summat) this friday and then I'll send it off.

lol i'll prolly want to change mai course choices the minute after I send it :rolleyes:

Tomorrow hopefully :cool:
ArcadiaHouse
How much does Edinburgh take into account those 'extra factors'? :o: I called them and they said I had lots of "points", and they said that was a good help, but I'm being completely paranoid about it ... :sigh:

Haven't the foggiest, sorry. I didn't live in Edinburgh, went to a private school, wasn't poor, and came from a family where both parents are university-educated (albeit first generation). :dontknow: They do claim to put a bit of emphasis on it, but I'm not willing to quantify that in any way, basically because I can't.
TheUnbeliever
Haven't the foggiest, sorry. I didn't live in Edinburgh, went to a private school, wasn't poor, and came from a family where both parents are university-educated (albeit first generation). :dontknow: They do claim to put a bit of emphasis on it, but I'm not willing to quantify that in any way, basically because I can't.

Sometimes I wonder what would have happend if I went to a school like yours, or any private school in fact :moon:
ukdragon37
Sometimes I wonder what would have happend if I went to a school like yours, or any private school in fact :moon:

Me too...:sigh:
Reply 4432
rosie9391
Me too...:sigh:

Ditto!
Although I came very close, I must admit :yep:
TheUnbeliever

I'm from a state school, poor, and neither of my parents went to university.

WOO UNI HERE I COME :woo: :p:

See, just because you applied there I thought you might have some idea ... :o: A girl wrote a rant about it in The Times a couple of weeks ago, how straight-A middle-class people like herself had been rejected in favour of people like - me. :o:
ukdragon37

Your ability, not environment, would have made you the successful academic you are today. :moon:
LuhLah

If my ref has finished my ref, Friday. If not, Monday.
rosie9391
Sadly no especially since it's tomorrow! I said meeting the night before was a bad idea but do they listen...NO!!

Sounds like 'The Apprentice' :p: I remember I had to do something like that at primary school. No one in the group bothered their shirt, I did it all myself and we came 2nd. If you want something done right, do it yourself :awesome:

I'm sure you'll be fine though :hugs: You won't seem as "polished" as the others - but in a good way! :p:
ukdragon37

In what way? It's not magic, and is very similar in lots of ways to any reasonably good state school. It has its upsides (e.g. the ability to flat-out remove tossers) and its downsides (e.g. they're not known for their social diversity).

Ape Gone Insane
4) Binomial Theorem

One I liked was being able to write the series straight out. Your first term in (a+b)n(a+b)^n is obviously ana^n. Each term thereafter can be arrived at by taking the exponent of a, multiplying by that, dividing by the zero-based index of this term and then decreasing the power of a and increasing the power of b. Then just remember that the coefficients are symmetrical and you save yourself a fair amount of pointless calculation. Tricky to explain, an example's clearer:

(a+b)5=a5+51a4b+5×42a3b2+(a+b)^5 = a^5 + \frac{5}{1}a^4b +\frac{5\times4}{2}a^3b^2 + \cdots

(a+b)5=a5+5a4b+10a3b2+10a2b3+5ab4+b5(a+b)^5 = a^5 + 5a^4b + 10a^3b^2 + 10a^2b^3 + 5ab^4 + b^5

It's not really the kind of flashy thing you're looking for, but it might scrape you a minute or two here or there.
Ape Gone Insane
Here we go into one of the biggest debates in Psychology :facepalm2:

Private school wouldn't have made ukdragon any smarter - that's a fact. If someone like me had gone to private school, I'd have left with much better grades, only because I'm crap at science and the extra help would have benefited me. :facepalm2:
ArcadiaHouse
Private school wouldn't have made ukdragon any smarter - that's a fact.

Er, no, that's thoroughly debatable.

Latest