The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Depends on whether you're 18 or not and how much tax is taken off, this will be determined by your wage/salary.
Reply 2
Markus
Depends on whether you're 18 or not and how much tax is taken off, this will be determined by your wage/salary.

im 18 and at the moment i get 5.70 an hour and i work 12 hours a week on average. the people at my work said students dont get taxed if they work over the summer (and do lots of hours) but does this apply if i have 2 jobs? im really stuck on what 2 do!
Reply 3
Why don't you google it? Try some official government sites- I'm sure you could email them for help.
You will still get taxed if you are a student and exceed the maximum untaxed earnings threshold (currently £4895). Once you go over that in a year (April to April) you will get charged 10% tax for the next £2020 then 22% tax for earnings upto £36295.

If you are a student working only in the summer, and not expecting to earn more than your untaxed allowance (i.e. your annual income will not exceed £4895), then you are allowed to fill in a P38S form which will allow your employer to pay you without first deducting income tax. A copy of the form can be found here with the notes which corroborates what I've said above:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p38s.pdf

Additionally, if you earn over a certain amount (think it's £82/week but not quite sure how NI works) then you will still be charged National Insurance on what you are paid.
National Insurance is charged at 11% on all earnings above £82 per week and below £630 per week, and 1% on all earnings above £630. If you're paid monthly, it's the monthly equivalents.

With regards to income tax, if you complete a P38(S) and then earn more than £4895 in the tax year, you must contact the Inland Revenue to tell them so the additional earnings can be taxed.

Latest

Trending

Trending