Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    ive already got a weekend job but ive just finished college so ive got all summer doin nothin. i want another job as i cant really do extra hours with the job ive got. will i get taxed lots if i get another joba and keep the one ive already got? what bout temp work? do the same rules apply?

    Depends on whether you're 18 or not and how much tax is taken off, this will be determined by your wage/salary.
    • Thread Starter

    (Original post by Markus)
    Depends on whether you're 18 or not and how much tax is taken off, this will be determined by your wage/salary.
    im 18 and at the moment i get 5.70 an hour and i work 12 hours a week on average. the people at my work said students dont get taxed if they work over the summer (and do lots of hours) but does this apply if i have 2 jobs? im really stuck on what 2 do!

    Why don't you google it? Try some official government sites- I'm sure you could email them for help.

    You will still get taxed if you are a student and exceed the maximum untaxed earnings threshold (currently £4895). Once you go over that in a year (April to April) you will get charged 10% tax for the next £2020 then 22% tax for earnings upto £36295.

    If you are a student working only in the summer, and not expecting to earn more than your untaxed allowance (i.e. your annual income will not exceed £4895), then you are allowed to fill in a P38S form which will allow your employer to pay you without first deducting income tax. A copy of the form can be found here with the notes which corroborates what I've said above:


    Additionally, if you earn over a certain amount (think it's £82/week but not quite sure how NI works) then you will still be charged National Insurance on what you are paid.

    National Insurance is charged at 11% on all earnings above £82 per week and below £630 per week, and 1% on all earnings above £630. If you're paid monthly, it's the monthly equivalents.

    With regards to income tax, if you complete a P38(S) and then earn more than £4895 in the tax year, you must contact the Inland Revenue to tell them so the additional earnings can be taxed.


students online now


Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo


"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.