The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
cheers everyone. I'm actually still waiting to hear from the two uni's i applied to for phys MSc.

Yeah iv'e just found four assistant physio jobs that i'm gonna apply for using the www.nhsjobs.com and www.sector1.net (which is also pretty useful).

any advice on aiding my application e.g. things to write, say, do etc
spikey43
cheers everyone. I'm actually still waiting to hear from the two uni's i applied to for phys MSc.
Good luck!!! :smile:

I can't even apply until September :frown:

Anyway I'll prolly be doing work exp at either a local hospital (just in case I get a placement later on... hopefully :redface: ) or a clinic.

DB_x
Reply 22
spikey43

Yeah iv'e just found four assistant physio jobs that i'm gonna apply for using the www.nhsjobs.com and www.sector1.net (which is also pretty useful).

Where are you waiting to hear from for the MSc spikey? This waiting business is a nightmare isn't it?!
Reply 23
spikey43

pretty much the same as for a ps! WHy you want to do physio - why you want to be an assistant - wat knoweldge your degree has given you, how this will help you as an assistant etc
Reply 24
Have you guys seen this from todays BBC online...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4686437.stm
Reply 25
Fluffy

yeah its bad - there's a big bit about it on the CSP Website too.

They've created lots of Senior 1 posts but alot of senior 2's and juniors are waiting for hospitals to undergo agenda for change before hey move as they want to see how jobs are banded. So unless the senior 2's move, the current juniors can't mve, and this years graduates can't get a job............

its no wonder physio's leave the NHS if they can!
Reply 26
It's so depressing, especially for those leaving other professions to go into physio (like me!)....I just hope the situation improves by 2007 when I'll be looking for my first junior position! :confused:

I'm glad the BBC have focused on it though, it might give the NHS the kick up the backside it needs!

Bit of a random question here, but is it possible to go straight into the private sector, if for example you couldn't get a NHS post??
Reply 27
SamJL
Where are you waiting to hear from for the MSc spikey? This waiting business is a nightmare isn't it?!

I was waiting to hear from Middlesbrough and Newcastle as i messed about and only had time to apply to two places while I was at Uni (muppet) :thumpdown.
I found out from newcastle today that they decided not to offer me a place
:frown: . Never mind I wasn't really expecting to get in, my aim is to get experience this year and apply for next years courses and to a lot more places near me so i can stay at home and leach off the parents a bit longer hee hee.

Besides waiting a bit longer to get qualified doesn't sound that bad after reading all the stuff about lack of jobs. hopefully they will have sorted it by the time we all qualify :rolleyes:
Fluffy

Poor dude :frown: And such a smart one too: "who is a PHD and worked for the Medical Research Council in bioinformatics" :eek:

I'm doing Bioinformatics now, and I have to admit - it's not AS boring as I thought it would be, but it's gonna be a challenging course :/
Reply 29
SamJL
It's so depressing, especially for those leaving other professions to go into physio (like me!)....I just hope the situation improves by 2007 when I'll be looking for my first junior position! :confused:

I'm glad the BBC have focused on it though, it might give the NHS the kick up the backside it needs!

Bit of a random question here, but is it possible to go straight into the private sector, if for example you couldn't get a NHS post??

i suppose you could but it would depend on where you decide to go - could work a clinic or something - but I've seen clinics advertising for as much as 8 years experience! If you wanted to work in sport you could walk straight from uni into a sports job - I know someone who has done that.....I think BUPA do junior physio posts too so they're always an option if there is a BUPA clinic near you
Reply 30
JackieS
i suppose you could but it would depend on where you decide to go - could work a clinic or something - but I've seen clinics advertising for as much as 8 years experience! If you wanted to work in sport you could walk straight from uni into a sports job - I know someone who has done that.....I think BUPA do junior physio posts too so they're always an option if there is a BUPA clinic near you

Thanks Jackie, I just hope they sort it out by the time we qualify!!

Are you getting excited yet?! I've got 2 1/2 weeks left of work then I'm moving up to Edninburgh in mid August, I'm so excited!! Still haven't had the results of my CRB check yet though :rolleyes: !!
Reply 31
SamJL

Are you getting excited yet?! I've got 2 1/2 weeks left of work then I'm moving up to Edninburgh in mid August, I'm so excited!! Still haven't had the results of my CRB check yet though :rolleyes: !!

2 1/2 weeks - wow, you must be sooo excited. I've still got 7 or 8 but it definately makes goin in a i easier as there's an end in sight! Sorry to but in - I just can't wait to finish work and get started! Good luck with the move. :smile:
Reply 32
SamJL

Yeah, excited but nervous! lol Got 6 weeks left at work, plus 3 weeks off, then I start!!! They don't do our CRB check till we start the course
Reply 33
danni_bella83
That's actually a really smart idea *thinks to herself for a bit* :biggrin: :smile:

Nah really, I admire you lot, I really do.

The only work experience in this field I've managed is at my university, where I helped out a couple afternoons at the physiotherapy clinic there.

I might have to branch out a bit and look for hospital work/placements.

Oooh and I found out over here some of us have to sit what's called a GAMSAT (some sort of medical test I'm yet to do, which improves the chances of getting a place), is it the same up there?

Anyway the person who I was talking to about applying in Adelaide said I had to do that :/ I'm not sure if she just said that b/c med students had to do it, I've yet to clarify this on Monday.

DB_x

We dont need to do exams for Physio entry, but my boyfriend did the GAMSAT for medicine entry over here. I know the exam is from AUSTRALIA, english unis are using it now too, but only some, also the MSAT and others
!LJ!
We dont need to do exams for Physio entry, but my boyfriend did the GAMSAT for medicine entry over here. I know the exam is from AUSTRALIA, english unis are using it now too, but only some, also the MSAT and others
:eek: I don't wanna sit the GAMSAT! :frown:

Hopefully I won't, if I get accepted post-grad, but I was talking to the course-coordinator of postgrad entry-level physio at UC today and you need a credit (+65) average in all your science courses, plus work experience and knowledge in exercise physiology plus biomechanics which I haven't done as yet...

*hopes there is a short bridging course!*

Lol that's interesting how they use our GAMSAT up there in the UK, but then again the psych units (your modules) I did were based on the UK format. So I guess our lecturers swap and exchange what they need by the sounds of things. It does give me ideas *so what questions did you get on your exam?* :p: Jks.

DB_x
Reply 35
danni_bella83
:eek: I don't wanna sit the GAMSAT! :frown:

Hopefully I won't, if I get accepted post-grad, but I was talking to the course-coordinator of postgrad entry-level physio at UC today and you need a credit (+65) average in all your science courses, plus work experience and knowledge in exercise physiology plus biomechanics which I haven't done as yet...

*hopes there is a short bridging course!*

Lol that's interesting how they use our GAMSAT up there in the UK, but then again the psych units (your modules) I did were based on the UK format. So I guess our lecturers swap and exchange what they need by the sounds of things. It does give me ideas *so what questions did you get on your exam?* :p: Jks.

DB_x

It was my boyfriend who took the GAMSAT, but I think he was given some past papers to go though before the exam itself. It has some really random questions, you should try and get hold of a practice paper because all 3 sections of the exam are really different. Brush up on the sciences too.

LJx
Reply 36
yuk - GRIMSHAT! I think the UK version is supposed to be slightly different to the Oz one...

Latest