The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not good at all. Having said that, Yorkshire football has been poor recently with the decline of Leeds, Wednesday, Bradford and Barnsley after all being in the premiership.

Villa's closest premiership ground next season will be indeed Bramall Lane!

Gem
Your allowed a view if it wasnt so heavily biased :p:
Would you rather we took Beattie instead of Gerrad? :biggrin:
We keep coming to the point where you say he hasnt performed for England and pro-Gerrad fans saying 'he isnt being played in his best position and hence cant reproduce the magic'
Can we just end this discussion cos we're going around in circles!
Reply 3582
Jimmocrates
Henry aside, the french squad looks either inept or past it! Reminds me of the recent german teams of former greats!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/france/4769857.stm

Domenech is a terrible manager and France wont win with him.

On paper they look good. Coupet is a great keeper and has had a brilliant season, but sadly Barthez will still be no1. Their defense is pretty awesome, and would be even better if Mexes was included instead of Thuram. Dont know why Boumsong and Silvestre are there at all.

Midfeild is pretty good IMO - Malouda and Ribery are great wingers, Makelele is still as solid as ever and Zidane is still good even though he is past his best. Dissapointed that Giuly was not included.

Upfront, it doesnt get much better than Trezeguet and Henry, though for some reason they havnt worked well together in the past. Saha is a good backup, and anelka should have been in insead of Cisse.
sarforaz
Your allowed a view if it wasnt so heavily biased :p:
Would you rather we took Beattie instead of Gerrard? :biggrin:
We keep coming to the point where you say he hasnt performed for England and pro-Gerrard fans saying 'he isnt being played in his best position and hence cant reproduce the magic'
Can we just end this discussion cos we're going around in circles!

Why would I want Beattie to play in midfield? No, i'd rather Gerrard was in the squad than Beattie.. :confused:

If we're going to end it i'll just say - the difference between good players and great players, is that great players are able to adapt to different positions at international level, whilst still producing top end performances time after time.

Good players tend to only produce top end performances from one position, we've already got Lampard playing there, and he is incredibly effective for England, there is no need to mess with the team - It's a shame Stevie can't produce the magic with England, because he's a brilliant player, and, despite what an awful lot of Redshìtes in this thread think, I would love him to come good for England..

Somebody want to lock this thread?
Reply 3584
Ballack on his way over, shevchenko strongly linked with chelsea, a very lucrative new tv deal announced, most hi tech stadium opening for next season, highest attendance rates in europe, epl club winning cl last season and into the final this season - do you think the epl is better than the rest in europe?
Add to that limited racism in comparison with foreign leagues and no match fixing scandals.

As a complete outfit, yes I believe the EPL is the greatest league in the world
Most hi-tech stadium? What would that be?
Reply 3587
Seabiscuit
Most hi-tech stadium? What would that be?
Most likely to be the Emirates. With it being the newest big stadium, it'll probably be the most hi-tech.
That's what I hate about the media. The stupid bias towards Premiership teams and the armchair fans who lap it up.

The match was the BIGGEST match in the league, even before the match started with so much at stake for both teams and the possible scenarios that could have resulted. The result and way it was won (16 seconds!) made it undoubtedly an all time classic, even to the unbiased fan and afterwards hardly a mention anywhere even on the news because if Sky didn't cover it, its not really football is it?

God knows if it were Blackburn or another mediocre Premiership team doing something like that, they'd still be creaming themselves about it now and about the 'excitement of the Premiership' bollox they like to spout on about. (Obviously, relegation out of the Football League and promotion just doesn't happen in the Premiership.)
Wouldn't bet on it. I mean, the roof is fixed for a start...
no listens?:smile:
Barthez is NOT that good, why don't they realise... I am sure Coupet is a better choice than him, ah well.

And Boumsong, absolutely bloody ridiculous. He is a defensive time-bomb.
Surely thats a bad thing for you though mate. If Saints had someone like that, I would want other teams to think he was ****.
Buffon may not be allowed in the Italy squad amid match fixing allegations that are being reported all over italy.

That'd be nice.
I've accepted that he's probably going to leave though. I'd prefer him to stay, but if he does go I'd like him to go to a big club because I love the guy and want him to be successful, and £8m for a championship club is a huge wad of money
What a match. I think thats the second best match i have ever seen in my life.

Was a shame West Ham didn't win it, would have been a perfect end, but they are in europe next season, which is certainly a good enough runner up prize.
I have played with Saints and Bournemouth academy, was picked up when I was about 13.
Wrote this article for my student paper, sums my feelings up about it:

Yesterday England coach Sven Goran Eriksson announced to the shocked assembled media that he would be taking Theo Walcott a 17 year old striker to the World Cup over experienced Darren Bent and Jermaine Defoe.
Theo Walcott is undeniably a gamble. The teenager has never played once in the Premiership and only ever played under 19 international football. The decision is even more risky considering Michael Owen and Wayne Rooney are both recovering from injuries and this leaves only Peter Crouch as the only fit striker apart from Walcott.
So why has Sven taken such a big gamble on such a relevantly unknown player? Perhaps most obvious answer is that Sven has nothing to lose. If Walcott is a flop at the World Cup, Eriksson will not have to deal with the consequences after announcing he would leave his post at the end of the tournament. With this imminent departure of Eriksson he may not feel as pressured to take less risky players to Germany. Although some may feel angry that he is taking undue risks with a team he won’t be responsible for soon, I believe that taking Walcott to Germany is the right decision that may be able to replace that spark that England appeared to have lost when Wayne Rooney left Old Trafford on a stretcher.
Firstly Walcott is a talented footballer. Everyone who has seen him play has been blown away by his pace and trickery. There is a reason why Arsenal paid £5 million for a 16 year old schoolboy a year ago. His pace is truly frightening. Every single coach and manager who has seen Walcott play have all commented on Walcott’s ability to cause trouble for defences.
Another reason and perhaps most key, is that practically no-one outside England has even heard of Theo Walcott before this week. This means that no manager will have any idea how to play against Walcott. Whereas managers of England’s opposing group B teams Sweden, Paraguay and Trinidad and Tobago will have had ideas for weeks on how to deal with the suspected England front players like Michael Owen, Peter Crouch and Jermaine Defoe. But after this weeks announcement these managers will be frantically trying to find tapes of Walcott playing to get some idea of what they are up against. In essence; Eriksson knows he will have the element of surprise if he introduces Walcott to a match.
Walcott is a gamble. But frankly if England are without a match fit Wayne Rooney, which is sadly looking very likely, which other strikers have better credentials to make an impact in Germany to accompany Owen and Crouch? Defoe, who can’t break into the Tottenham team or Darren Bent, who has not impressed for England given the chance by Eriksson. Neither in my opinion. It is a brave decision my Eriksson although it is possibly motivated by the wrong reasons. But it could give England Theo Walcott a chance to show how good he really is. And as the SAS say: ‘Who dares wins’
The four-year MANSION shirt sponsorship becomes effective on 1 July 2006 and is worth a minimum of £34 million over the four seasons from 2006/7 to 2009/10. This includes a contribution of £1.5 million to Tottenham’s community scheme aimed at helping young people in the local area.

In July 2006, when Tottenham Hotspur's new Puma playing kit is launched to fans, MANSION will become only the fourth brand ever to appear on the shirt in the 25 years since sponsors were first permitted. Today's announcement represents one of the world's ten largest Club sponsorship agreements. (from spurs.co.uk)

Pretty impressive stuff considering we're not even in the CL.
Preparing myself for more spurs fans to argue that their new big buck sponsorship deal makes them one of the biggest teams in england..

Latest