The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

He could have been in half minds? Thinking he should go through and score for glory or jump out the way and save his WC career and maybe early season and fell like a spaz? or like a glorious diver.. :biggrin:
Reply 5601
Gerrard wasn't through yesterday, he tried to barge past two players but lost control of the ball so thought his best option was to try and buy a penalty. In Istanbul his right foot was clipped by Gattuso and as said above, at that pace every player will go to ground. But he made the most out of it and if he hadnt spread himself all over the ground probably wouldnt have got the penalty.

"How did I know the Liverpool supporter's would be offensive to people who support Arsenal?"

:confused: lol. Every liverpool fan in this thread has condemned Gerrard for the dive. Dunno what your problem is.

I've said time and again that no fan can get on their high horse about other clubs diving because it happens all over the world with every club. From the champions league to the ryman premier league.
Reply 5602
Cisse has scored 19 goals this season and still been ****e. The £14m price tag we paid for him was based on his **** hot record for Auxerre and that he was in the french squad, not that he had one good season in a top flight league and had played 10 minutes of international football on the right wing.

No one is saying AJ is a bad a player or that he wont justify the price tag, but it just emphasises how over priced english players are, that's all.
You've missed my point entirely.
kpg
I've said time and again that no fan can get on their high horse about other clubs diving because it happens all over the world with every club. From the champions league to the ryman premier league.

Newcstle players don't, at least we havent in the past lyk 10 years :biggrin: ... but then we havent won anything either have we :rolleyes: >
Reply 5605
Clearly.

But if you can't understand that buying english players from english clubs completley hikes up the fee then you must have lived under a rock for the past 10 years. He may prove everyone wrong and score 20+ league goals every season but as things stand at the moment, £8.6m for a player who has had ONE good season in the top flight is a lot of money. IMHO and the same applied to Crouch, Beattie and Ashton. Of course, if AJ plays well and Everton are succesful (arf) as a result of it then the whole discussion is deemed irrelevent.
No, if he plays well and scores goals, It'll prove I was right from the beginning, but that's not important. what's important is he had a scoring ratio better that 2:1 every game in one of the top 3 leagues in the World, in a relegated team no less, and has international caps. Whether you're Chinese, English, Czech, Peruvian, Brazilian, whatever, you're going to command a sizable fee for such form. Unlike Beattie, Phillips, Crouch or any other 'one season wonder', he's never been given the chance to prove it year in and year out. Can you imagine if a team got Forlan, David Villa or Luca Toni for £8m? Everyone would be saying it was a brilliant deal, and a snip. Just because the guy's English, everyone brings up the old argument of English players being overpriced. Well obviously there are tons of examples of English players costing more than they're worth, but in this case at least, the player being bought justified the price tag
Reply 5607
It was a blatant dive last night and yet it gets no mention at all, apart from Ian Wright becoming even more of an idiot if that is possible and saying it's ok because people will do it to us. Had that been a foreign player everyone would still be going mad and yet cos he is english no one mentions it. Owen's dives against Argentina, Rooney v arsenal, Cole had a go last night and Gerrard's blatant one and no one says anything. Yet first game of the premiership next season someone will dive and motd will be going mental, 'we dont want that' , 'it's the foreigners' etc etc. It's pathetic, people like Pires who committed one diver have forever been branded yet english players just get away with it. If someone does it to us in the world cup we will have nothing to complain about cos we are just as bad, it really annoys me.
ba_ba1
I dunno, ask him. He was through yesterday and wouldve probably scored, yet he felt the need to dive in a friendly.

If he hadnt of gone over, the two footed tackle would of connected and it could of been a serious injury.
If someone gave Everton a pound for every time AJ just said "like" in the press conference, we'd get our £8.6million back! Bless him. Looked nervous, but sounded thrilled to be here.. "one of the biggest clubs in British football" is right, son!

Our new kit's sh*te though.
Sharpshooter
I would worry about are a potential match against Germany in the 2nd round, and/or a match against Argentina in the quarters. I reckon those two teams probably would knock us out.

..and Portugal. They've done it before and they could do it again..
I told you, the mans a like-machine.
Naaah, he side stepped the tackle then dived, there was never any danger of him getting injured. I've never heard of diving as a defence against a foul. I've heard of jumping, never falling over theatrically to gain an unfair advantage though.
He'll fit right in around here then, most scousers are like-machines!
Reply 5614
True.

Altough Pires has definately commited more than just one dive, let's not kid ourself. But to be honest, now it's part of the premiership and players, of all nationalilties, do it without even thinking about it so we should stop with the whole 'it's the foreigners that only do it' argument. What should also stop is the backlash against English players who dive, do you expect them to be complete angels and be immune from what happens in the premiership? That's as pathetic as blaming foreign players for all the dive.
ba_ba1
Gerrard is a serial diver. Just ask Gattuso.

He was clean through, about to score and had his shirt tugged by Gattuso so he couldn't reach the ball. Yes he may have been able to make the effort to stay up, in order to decieve the ref that Gattuso had done nothing wrong, but a player will always err on the side of wanting to show the ref if a genuine foul has been committed
SuperCollin
If someone gave Everton a pound for every time AJ just said "like" in the press conference, we'd get our £8.6million back! Bless him. Looked nervous, but sounded thrilled to be here.. "one of the biggest clubs in British football" is right, son!

Our new kit's sh*te though.

Ayy it's not that bad! :cool:
Is there a clip online somewhere, I was listening on five live and havent seen it.
Oh come on, over reaction or what.
Ok, he dived but it werent that bad as some people are trying to make out. Say he hadnt of side stepped the tackle, and stayed up. That was a 2 footed lunge, going right at his ankle.
SuperCollin
"one of the biggest clubs in British football" is right, son!

Lmao

Latest