The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The other one that really gets my goat is the way they pronounce Oliver Neuville's surname. They say Nerville, when it should be Noyville. Arrrrghhhh. It may seem sad to get wound up about it... but these things matter.

I heard somewhere today that loads of people are muting Motty's commentary and watching the games with Five Live in the background instead. Much as John Motson annoys me, I couldn't imagine watching a BBC England game without him.
Reply 6761
I also remember a commentator saying "Van Neeeeeeeeestlroy"
Because he's an ex-palace player, and he realises Charlton are pikey scum.

I hope everyone saw the press conference, Jordan showed his humility and humblesness by admitting he was wrong in some comments he made about Peter Taylor last year.
What did he say about Taylor then?

Jordan is not afraid of confrontation. Look how big Dowie is!
coolworld37
I also remember a commentator saying "Van Neeeeeeeeestlroy"

There are some who don't even bother to include the 'van'.

I mean for crying out loud...
Apparently last year he said he was a coach and not a manager and should stick to coaching players. Then he had his interview with him and Jordan said he completely changed his mind and proved him wrong, and he admitted it publicly yesterday at the press conference
Gutted i missed gettin on Villa at 25/1
Would quite like blackburn away/home second game of the season though. Maybe could have a pint with our resident burnie.
Reply 6768
Haha and people laughed at me for predicting Villa to be top scorer...I bet they're laughing so hard now :biggrin:
Reply 6769
I took him @ 25/1, just missed him at 33/1. He's now at 4/1 :smile:. And Klose missed his chance(s) to jump ahead today. I think he's got a great chance particularly with Henry/RvN/Ronaldo/Adriano/Ronaldinho/Podolski/Owen/Crouch(ha) etc failing to score (and looking a bit ****). Biggest competition could be Torres. But i noticed Villa takes the penalties...:smile:
Yeah, not sure what happened there. I thought penalty pecking order was: Torres - Raul - Villa.

Maybe Torres didn't feel up to it after he was clipped... only thing I can think of.

Apart from goals though, Villa didn't do much today, just right place and right time.
Reply 6771
Yea I noticed the pronunciation thing too. Worst one was in the Italy game, Perlo, Gilardinio and Giliardinio. Yet they managed to pronounce Iaquinta quite well. Is it really that difficult to do a bit of research and at least get the names right.
#2(Laika)
well he had the same injury 2 years ago against Portugal and then we signed him...he didnt have no match practise...played against Fenerbahce and scored a hat trick....the kid is ready...its his world cup and he will shine!

A classic hat-trick - left foot, right foot, header, like.
Reply 6773
Why is there a need to rush him back for an easy match against trinidad and risk making matters worse. I would expect england to beat them without rooney no problem whatsoever. Its just that Sven is getting desperate.
You need to see Arsenal play and France play to get an impression of how different they are in playing football. France are awful as a team despite having some great talents in it.

They don't play anything like the smooth, fast passing game of Arsenal which is what makes Henry so potent. He has support from fast midfielders who can take a good shot or make that killer final touch pass.

Wiltord is definitely not good for this, as his spell at Arsenal showed.
Reply 6775
jeff's_dead
Henry rarely comes up against world-class defenders in the Prem. And when he does, he rarely plays amazingly well. Perhaps that is why he consistently underperforms for France :confused:

Or maybe he simply isn't the genius that he is portrayed as.

lol, we have a clown ere:biggrin:
Reply 6776
i think he would be better to play in mid or left wing.
Reply 6777
Drazen2007
I do. Anyone else?

I'm already sick and tired of the England euphoria and mass hysteria, I'm sick and tired of seeing England flags, hearing about loutish 'En-grr-land' fans abroad putting us to shame with their behaviour, hearing about overrated players like Beckham and Rooney, the constant throwbacks to '66, and I hate the coverage - especially the obnoxious BBC commentators insisting that 'we were robbed' of a goal - just as obnoxious as the team itself. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm a footy fan anyway (or at least not anymore), but I sincerely hope and pray that our complacent national team and the even more complacent national media is put to bed within the next month. :cool:

It's the same here in Australia, "...after 33 years out of the bla blah blah" i already had enough of the frenzy.
Reply 6778
The only person who is guilty if wayne is rushed back too early is wayne himself. He will know how it feels, if he feels normal and comfortable and like he does when he is at full fitness i dont see a problem.

Latest