The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ronaldinho actually made the goal for Giully vs Milan in the first leg, and effectively put the team through with that immense pass. He also created numerous other scoring opportunities in the two legs, far more times than he took a shot on goal. And when he shoots, he usually knows he has a good chance for a goal. He is NOT a greedy player.

Yes, Casillas is a good goalkeeper, far better than Buffon... who has never been amazing consistently. I still say Kahn, over Lehmann and any goalie in the world.
Casillas

Puyol, Terry, Nesta

Joaquin, Totti, Gerrard, Ronaldinho

Rooney Eto'o Henry

Subs:
Buffon
Riquelme
Nesta
Thuram
Shevchenko

EDit: May drop Edmilson and Nesta in a second actually and bring in a right and left back.
No English manager has the experience atm to take on the England post. It has to be a foreigner. Mclaren, Allardyce and Curbishley can all come back when they have won the league at least once as managers. Martin O'Neil is the only British candidate that has any credibility and it seems they dont want him.
How would you two, and others, improve then?
Brotherhood
I wanted Guus anyway, bloody Russians. :frown:

He'll come to England soon, though probably for Chelsea than national coach for England.
Reply 1805
RobbieC
Ronaldinho actually made the goal for Giully vs Milan in the first leg, and effectively put the team through with that immense pass. He also created numerous other scoring opportunities in the two legs, far more times than he took a shot on goal. And when he shoots, he usually knows he has a good chance for a goal. He is NOT a greedy player.

Yes, Casillas is a good goalkeeper, far better than Buffon... who has never been amazing consistently. I still say Kahn, over Lehmann and any goalie in the world.

Casillas far better than Buffon? Theyre both top goalies but Buffon edges it - Casillas has excellent at reaction but is very dodgy on crosses and has a great tendency to punch when catching is much easier. Similar to Toldo in many repsects. casillas hasnt had that good a season and Canizares may take his place in the NT. Buffon has been consistantly amazing for the past 8 years so i dont know where you got the idea that he is inconsistant. He's had injury problems this season, but when he's played, he's still been excellent. Kahn has been piss poor this season,and Klinsman had to drop him. Even the Bayern Munich fans laugh at him now. Quite simply he was great, but now he's past his best.
It's not surprising that Buffon is amazing. He has a great defence and plays in a defensive league.
Reply 1807
NDGAARONDI
It's not surprising that Buffon is amazing. He has a great defence and plays in a defensive league.

So it seems that as soon as a keeper has a great defence infont of him, he can no longer be classed as the best in the world :rolleyes:

And as for Serie A being a defensive league, the average amount of goals scored per game in Serie A has been higher than La Liga and the EPL for the past 3 seasons. I'm tired of the stereotype that the Italian league is defensive. Its like saying that everyone in the EPL plays long ball tactics. Its simply not true.
ba_ba1
Casillas far better than Buffon? Theyre both top goalies but Buffon edges it - Casillas has excellent at reaction but is very dodgy on crosses and has a great tendency to punch when catching is much easier. Similar to Toldo in many repsects. casillas hasnt had that good a season and Canizares may take his place in the NT.

I greatly, greatly doubt Canizares will take his place. I think Casillas has had a pretty good season all in all, especially with the attacking nature of his defenders. I chose Casillas over Buffon as i feel he parries the ball more effectively.
ba_ba1
So it seems that as soon as a keeper has a great defence infont of him, he can no longer be classed as the best in the world :rolleyes:

I just remember your comment about Petr Cech claiming he's only as good as he is because of his defence. Fact is, a lot of great keepers have a good defence like Schmeichel and Seaman did, but this should not discredit their goalkeeping crudentials. I have seen Buffon many times recently but never understood the fuss.

ba_ba1
And as for Serie A being a defensive league, the average amount of goals scored per game in Serie A has been higher than La Liga and the EPL for the past 3 seasons.

Actually myself and mc_watson viewed the goals scored and goals conceded and the EPL scored the most last season IIRC.
Last season there were 960 goals in Serie A, 975 in the premiership, 980 in La Liga.
Reply 1811
NDGAARONDI
I just remember your comment about Petr Cech claiming he's only as good as he is because of his defence. Fact is, a lot of great keepers have a good defence like Schmeichel and Seaman did, but this should not discredit their goalkeeping crudentials. I have seen Buffon many times recently but never understood the fuss.

Actually myself and mc_watson viewed the goals scored and goals conceded and the EPL scored the most last season IIRC.

True about cech, but he makes a lot of mistkaes for Chelsea and the saves he makes are the ones you'd expect him to make. Just curious, what games did you watch Buffon in?

Sorry, i mut be mistaken then. Fair play, i still think it was quite close though, and i wonder what the stats are this season.
Reply 1812
mc_watson87
Last season there were 960 goals in Serie A, 975 in the premiership, 980 in La Liga.

yep sorry i was wrong, my mistake.
No worries, easily done.
Think hooliganism is largely overblown; the topic comes up at every oppurtunity. Perhaps there is something serious in this one, who knows? This time there does actually seem to be a motive and a plan, but we'll see. The authorities are better than people give them credit for.

As I said before, the subject of hooliganism is always exaggerated. People reference the 80s as soon as they possibly can, merely to give their argument weight. Certainly within English football, hooligans are on a much smaller scale now, or "firms", and tend to stick to their own kind, ignoring (even respecting) the average fan and their right to watch football. Obviously this isn't always the case, as the Blackburn fan said before, but it's as much a problem as any other number of trivial things.
Oo Prem got 2.49 GPG this season and Serie A got 2.52. Lot more away goals in Serie A than in the premiership. The Away goals for this season really is quite poor, especially from the top teams.
Reply 1816
So far there have been 917 goals in the 350 games in serie a so far. There have been 884 goals in 355 games in the EPL so far this season. That obviosuly proves that Serie A is such a defensive league.
There hasn't been 917 :p:
881 by my counts and they're on pretty much exactly the same ratio as last season, while the premiership are having quite a low season. Also the prem has been rather defensive this season.
Reply 1819
RobbieC
I think I'm going to take this opportunity to beg Liverpool if they are reading this to bloody bin crouch. He is horrific to watch, this lumbering awkward carbuncle of a human being crunching along like a zombie with one leg trailing and then jumping up to connect with a poorly coordinated header over the rafters at Anfield. Why does he get any field time!?

Because the/[one of the] best manager in Europe believes he is pivotol to the success of the [soon to be former] European Champions, FA Cup Finalists and 3rd best team in the country. Good enough for him, good enough for me.

Latest