The Student Room Group

Is it bad to do two humanties?

I really want to do History and Geography A Level, but will that look bad to universities? They are my best subjects but will it look like I only have skills in the humanity 'area' if I do both of them, and say, English or Spanish?

I know I should do what I enjoy, but will it look unusual? I know plenty of people who are doing two languages, but people consider that to be ok don't they?

Lol sorry if none of that made sense.
*maybe I should skip on the English after all*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
no I think they are perfectly fine.
Also, what are you thinking of studying at university?
Reply 2
I dont think there's anything wrong with doing Geography and History at all!

Out of interest, what are you possibly planning to study at uni? If you're worried about taking the two subjects and how it would 'look' may depend on what subject you want to study, but to be honest, I dont think its a 'major' issue. Plenty of people do two humanities, be it History and Geography, or RS and History, etc, and many do two languages.

All in all, do what you enjoy, thats the main thing! :biggrin:
Reply 3
why should there be a problem with that? they're both well-respected subjects and (as everyone else has pointed out already) loads of people take two languages. plenty more people take two, or even three sciences. i reckon the only problem you could have would be in managing the high workload on both subjects.
Reply 4
Those humanity subjects (Geography and History) are respected. Humanities subjects are good, as they prove you can write good essays. Since you are looking into the Humanities area, those subjects are good.
Reply 5
I'm thinking of applying for History/Ancient History/History with a language or maybe Law/Law with another legal system.
Reply 6
I did geography and history and it didnt do me any harm
Reply 7
i don't think doing two is bad at all.

However i do know some one who did Geography, Environmental Science and Geology at A-level.

Thats some serious cross-over! and very limiting for uni.
Reply 8
would studying sociology and psychology look bad ?

cos i do them both and they seem fairly different to me. not that i plan on using either at uni - im planning to study english
Reply 9
Two humanities are fine, all the humanities are quite different and teach you different skills that the universities will appreciate. E.g. History- essays, research analysis. R.S- discussions. Actually Geography is often considered a science by Unis, so it's fine. :smile:

gemby= socio and psych together aren't that great, because people do think their the same (they both essentially study people's actions i guess), but moreover they're also both considered as 'soft' subjects. :cool: Still, if you get good grades I'm sure you'll get uni offers etc.
I don't see a problem with your choices at all. Lots of people study 2 humanities subjects, 2 languages or 2/3/4/5 sciences! Universities probably won't mind if your subjects are in the same general area; it's just that sometimes they see ICT and computing, business and economics etc as a problem because there's a lot of crossover between them.
gemby!
would studying sociology and psychology look bad ?

cos i do them both and they seem fairly different to me. not that i plan on using either at uni - im planning to study english

It's quite common, especially at my school, to do both and I agree with you that they seem pretty different. Universities tend to see them as '2 sides of the same coin' though, and as Saffie mentioned, they both have a reputation for being a bit 'mickey mouse.' This might be an issue since you're applying for a competitive subject, but as long as you get the grades and your other subjects are respected, it shouldn't count against you.
Reply 12
im thinking of dropping sociology if i find a better subject to do - i've already got an A/B in psychology so might as well keep it up.

i bet i end up taking it into second year :rolleyes:

oh and thanks you two ! :biggrin:
nothing wrong with doing history and geography at A-level at all.

I did it at GCSE and everyone thought I was mad - came out with good grades and everyone was like - well done.

They go well together too as you develop the essay writing skills needed!
Reply 14
One of my friends did both History and Geography with Maths. She applied to do Geography, and she got offers from all six universities. Therefore, choosing two humanities subjects is good.

I know quite a few people who do History and Geography in our school.
Reply 15
No, I say go for it! Well, I'm doing two Sciences anyway, so am kind of in the same position, and my subjects are a weird mix because I'm doing; English Literature, History, Biology and Geography, so I'll look weird too. :wink: Especially as some people consider English Lit to be a humanity (in our school I think English is classed as an Art with Languages!), which would mean it may appear that I have chosen two Humanities and two Sciences as well; which is definitely a funky mix. Just go for it! They're both widely respected subjects, so there really is no problem. :smile:
Reply 16
zhivago
No, I say go for it! Well, I'm doing two Sciences anyway, so am kind of in the same position, and my subjects are a weird mix because I'm doing; English Literature, History, Biology and Geography, so I'll look weird too. :wink: Especially as some people consider English Lit to be a humanity (in our school I think English is classed as an Art with Languages!), which would mean it may appear that I have chosen two Humanities and two Sciences as well; which is definitely a funky mix. Just go for it! They're both widely respected subjects, so there really is no problem. :smile:

I find your combination quite good, a mix of science and humanities subjects. I know someone that has that kind of combination without History and Biology though, they had Law and Maths instead.
Saffie
analysis. R.S- discussions. Actually Geography is often considered a science by Unis, so it's fine. :smile:

yeah geography is seen as a social science xoxo
just to add, I did for my A level - history geography and physics!! now theres an odd combination :smile:
humanities subjects are good to take to uni, as they tend to offer wide skills used in most other subjects. in addition, many of my friends took 3 sciences so you will be ok!

Latest