The Student Room Group

First day of new job

Hey everyone, so I started my new job yesterday and I feel like I didn’t give the best impression of myself. I was a bit more reserved and didn’t really ask that many questions. I’m more of a listener and I was given soo much information on so many sectors of the business. So I was trying my best to retain as much information as I could. I was starting with another person, both of us are graduates. He was a bit more talkative and understood how to small talk with colleagues. And he was also asking a few more questions. This is going to sound bad but I think I’m comparing myself to him because I’m more introverted and it takes me a while to adjust to a new environment, especially a new workplace. This is actually my first adult full time job. I’m just worried I gave a bad impression, I also didn’t want to ask questions because the questions my colleague was asking were a lot more sophisticated. My questions were a bit more basic and I thought I’d sound a bit weirder. I think I learn a lot differently to others. But I’ve realised in the workplace you need to talk and initiate conversations. Sorry I’m rambling on, I know I’ve still got the rest of the week to give a better impression. But I think I’m not a very chill person, and it was something new to me so I just wanted to go about the day as see what it was like. But I don’t want to keep comparing myself to my colleague. He’s a lovely guy and I just think we’re two different people in terms of speaking and learning.

Does anyone have any advice on how to just talk a bit more and be a bit more open in the workplace. Is it bad to ask questions even if they’re silly? I hope I didn’t make a bad impression.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Kay_243
Hey everyone, so I started my new job yesterday and I feel like I didn’t give the best impression of myself. I was a bit more reserved and didn’t really ask that many questions. I’m more of a listener and I was given soo much information on so many sectors of the business. So I was trying my best to retain as much information as I could. I was starting with another person, both of us are graduates. He was a bit more talkative and understood how to small talk with colleagues. And he was also asking a few more questions. This is going to sound bad but I think I’m comparing myself to him because I’m more introverted and it takes me a while to adjust to a new environment, especially a new workplace. This is actually my first adult full time job. I’m just worried I gave a bad impression, I also didn’t want to ask questions because the questions my colleague was asking were a lot more sophisticated. My questions were a bit more basic and I thought I’d sound a bit weirder. I think I learn a lot differently to others. But I’ve realised in the workplace you need to talk and initiate conversations. Sorry I’m rambling on, I know I’ve still got the rest of the week to give a better impression. But I think I’m not a very chill person, and it was something new to me so I just wanted to go about the day as see what it was like. But I don’t want to keep comparing myself to my colleague. He’s a lovely guy and I just think we’re two different people in terms of speaking and learning.

Does anyone have any advice on how to just talk a bit more and be a bit more open in the workplace. Is it bad to ask questions even if they’re silly? I hope I didn’t make a bad impression.

Relax and don't let it bother you. Everyone is different and I imagine your employer knows that and understands it. Just concentrate on doing a good job and other things will fall into place. I have a job straight after school two days a week and I felt so self-conscious because I am the only one in uniform, in fact the only one wearing a tie! But my supervisor told me to relax and just concentrate on the data entry I do and the errands I run for other workers. Then I started to really enjoy it.
Reply 2
@_Rusty_

Is there a better place for this thread please ?

I think it will get lost in the medical school forum.
I’m out atm but will post something tomorrow:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending