Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i'm pretty sure it isn't but just to make sure, tv licensing have sent me a letter saying "a visit to your address has been authorised". they've sent me 'warnings' in the past before, i didn't reply to any of them and now they've told me if i do nothing they will "proceed with our investigation of your accommodation as scheduled".

ReputationRep:
    they cannot enter without a police officer in attendance.

ReputationRep:
    You do not have to let them into your house unless they have explicit police authority. End of story.

ReputationRep:
    cool story bro, i won't be replying to this one either. going in the bin with all the kebab shop menus.

ReputationRep:
    Why throw away kebab shop menus

unless you have your favs of course

ReputationRep:
    This is a begging letter from the BBC, nothing more. Your filing system sounds well up to handling it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by porch monkey 4 life)
    i'm pretty sure it isn't but just to make sure, tv licensing have sent me a letter saying "a visit to your address has been authorised". they've sent me 'warnings' in the past before, i didn't reply to any of them and now they've told me if i do nothing they will "proceed with our investigation of your accommodation as scheduled".
    http://www.bbctvlicence.com

You are under no legal obligation to reply to the letters or let a person from TV Licensing into your house.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The letter itself isn't a warrant, they have to bring that on the day of the search.

As others have said, they can't enter your property without a police officer in attendance because although they can apply for a search warrant, they have no legal authority to enforce it. If they turn up with a warrant and no police officer, feel free to send them packing.

ReputationRep:
    It is highly unlikely that they would bother to actually apply for a warrant and request the attendance of a police officer as this costs more than a tv licence!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    they cannot enter without a police officer in attendance.
    That's not strictly true - a search warrant can be, and generally is, granted without an explicit requirement for a police presence. Still, every TVL search I've heard has been with police constables present, and I can't imagine them attempting to execute one without.

(Original post by porch monkey 4 life)
    I think they do it on rotation. I know quite a few people, myself included, who have received a very similar letter recently.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to let them in. End of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    That's not strictly true - a search warrant can be, and generally is, granted without an explicit requirement for a police presence. Still, every TVL search I've heard has been with police constables present, and I can't imagine them attempting to execute one without.
    Absolutely. Debt collection services are also issued with Magistrate's warrants and do not need police presence in order to serve them.

ReputationRep:
    Let them in...then as they enter your hallway, get your housemate to drop a tv set on their heads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfranks7)
    Let them in...then as they enter your hallway, get your housemate to drop a tv set on their heads?
    "Detect that, ya ****".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    It is highly unlikely that they would bother to actually apply for a warrant and request the attendance of a police officer as this costs more than a tv licence!
    But probably less than the fine they are hoping they can give you as a result.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    But probably less than the fine they are hoping they can give you as a result.
    'Hoping' being an operative word. According to the law they have to prove that you have tv equipment with the purpose of viewing and recording broadcast television. I.e. the have to find evidence that demonstrates intent - not so easy. Hence I should think that the hit rate is so low that it is probably hardly ever worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Absolutely. Debt collection services are also issued with Magistrate's warrants and do not need police presence in order to serve them.
    they have no right of access though.

ReputationRep:
    They sent me one even though I told them I don't have one, the letter says a visit has been authorised as you have not contacted us, I have an email from them comfirming I told them.

ReputationRep:
    IGNORE them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    they have no right of access though.
    Actually not strictly true. Most baliffs have the right of peaceful entry even if that is not consensual. Baliffs acting for HMRC can also have the right to forced entry.
    At the end of the day even the police cannot force entry to inspect a property on a search warrant only to arrest someone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.