The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
LukeeGRANT
Hey, was just wondering whether anyone has applied to do 'American Studies and English Lit' or vice versa for entry in September/October '10?

If so:

Where did you apply? What were your offers? What do you think fo the Uni.?

Mine-
Sussex: ABB/AAC :nutcase: :love: AMAZING.
Nottingham: AB. :woo: :love: LOVE IT.
East-Anglia: BBB. :wink2: Really nice.
Leicester: ABB. :rolleyes: Bleugh.
Warwick: Acknowledged. :hmmmm2: Awesome.

bit of a high risk application you must be confdient , but hey you are holding alot of offers.
Reply 2
I've applied for just American Studies having already got my A-levels, and, somehow, got 4 unconditionals (Warwick, UEA, Sussex and Birmingham). Am thinking Warwick but am not 100% sure of anything yet.

You might find this thread helpful - obviously it's for AS/History rather than AS/English but still, might be worth taking a look at!
Reply 3
reikazen
bit of a high risk application.

Is it really? aha
How so? =) I know quite a few people who've got into these Unis.
But, if you're refering to grades, I'm predicted A*A*B- so, yes, I am pretty confident! haha
Reply 4
AdHock
You might findthis thread helpful - obviously it's for AS/History rather than AS/English but still, might be worth taking a look at!

Thank you :smile: It was a good help, (Y). Congratulations on your offers, too!
Reply 5
LukeeGRANT
Thank you :smile: It was a good help, (Y). Congratulations on your offers, too!

Thanks - congrats on yours!

Any thoughts on what you might put as your firm?
Reply 6
LukeeGRANT
Is it really? aha
How so? =) I know quite a few people who've got into these Unis.
But, if you're refering to grades, I'm predicted A*A*B- so, yes, I am pretty confident! haha

I just mean your very confident in getting Bs and As thats all, but hey I guess you must pretty goood tho cuz your getting all the offers.
I have applied for Eng & American Studies at Leicester (no answer yet) English & American Lit at UEA (ABB offer) and Eng Lit with a minor in American Lit & Film at Loughborough (ABbb offer). I also have an unconditional offer from QMUL for Comparative Lit and have applied to Leicester for a slightly different course (no answer yet). I like the sound of Loughborough but also really liked Leicester.
Reply 8
AdHock
Thanks - congrats on yours!

Any thoughts on what you might put as your firm?

Not too sure yet, I'm going to go and re-visit Sussex this weekend! (Y)
I've excluded Leicester and UEA, though. I don't particularly want to go there.

I think... maybe Nottingham or Sussex... if I get accepted at Warwick then it really messes things up, though!

Not to sure, really. How about you? :smile:
Reply 9
polka_dott
I have applied for Eng & American Studies at Leicester (no answer yet) English & American Lit at UEA (ABB offer) and Eng Lit with a minor in American Lit & Film at Loughborough (ABbb offer). I also have an unconditional offer from QMUL for Comparative Lit and have applied to Leicester for a slightly different course (no answer yet). I like the sound of Loughborough but also really liked Leicester.

Wow- you got some good offers, though! =) Leicester haven't replied yet? How strange, they replied to me eary November... I did send my app. off the 15th of Oct. though! haha

& what do the small B's stand for?- ABbb (:
Reply 10
reikazen
I just mean your very confident in getting Bs and As thats all, but hey I guess you must pretty goood tho cuz your getting all the offers.

I guess so! (Y) My scores last year weren't particularly high, but I'm a hard worker, so given time and perseverance, I should get my grades!

I want at least one A*! :yep:
Reply 11
LukeeGRANT
Not too sure yet, I'm going to go and re-visit Sussex this weekend! (Y)
I've excluded Leicester and UEA, though. I don't particularly want to go there.

I think... maybe Nottingham or Sussex... if I get accepted at Warwick then it really messes things up, though!

Not to sure, really. How about you? :smile:

Well, I'm thinking it'll be Warwick but I'm not sure yet. I need to visit them all I think before I start making decisions. I have a bunch of open days coming up, February's going to be kind of hectic!

Of course there's also the whole study abroad element to the decision - I mean if we study abroad we're basically going to attend two unis, so that's another consideration!
LukeeGRANT
Wow- you got some good offers, though! =) Leicester haven't replied yet? How strange, they replied to me eary November... I did send my app. off the 15th of Oct. though! haha

& what do the small B's stand for?- ABbb (:

They stand for AS Levels. I am taking an AS Level this year so I can offer two AS Levels instead of my C in History A Level basically.
Reply 13
AdHock
I mean if we study abroad we're basically going to attend two unis, so that's another consideration!

Yeaah, that's so true! I'm also choosing my Unis. on how well I think they'd cater for my needs in the USA, such as Unis. available there! I'd like to go to an Ivy League there, preferably East-Coast (Y)

Any thought to your USA Uni. choices? :smile:
Reply 14
Hey :smile: Well, I've applied for one Eng Lit and American Studies course at Manchester (as you can see in the sig, haha), mainly because i LOVED the modules, the whole idea of it (I have a lot of American literature influences, love the culture, history etc.); i was researching the course way before I got to the stage of finishing my AS. The usual offer for it's AAB, but the places are so limited that even though my predicted is AAA i'm panicking a little :frown: I hope I get something from them! Obviously I'd still be really happy doing Lit anywhere else I applied though :smile: Well, UCLan is my "if everything goes a bit pear-shaped with my Language A2" option-I'd still not mind going there and I've heard good things, but come onnnn Manchester :biggrin:
Reply 15
LukeeGRANT
Yeaah, that's so true! I'm also choosing my Unis. on how well I think they'd cater for my needs in the USA, such as Unis. available there! I'd like to go to an Ivy League there, preferably East-Coast (Y)

Any thought to your USA Uni. choices? :smile:

The decision is so hard because the options at every uni seem to be excellent! Warwick have exchanges with both Columbia (Ivy League, in NYC, great reputation) and UC Berkeley (as good as if not better than some Ivy Leagues, near San Francisco, also great rep) - tough choice.

But it's a nice choice to have to make, of course!
Reply 16
I've applied for straight American Studies. Have offers from all unis apart from Warwick...I wish they would hurry up! :wink:

So far I've visited the UEA- found it very welcoming, informative and exciting. The study abroad programmes look fantastic; especially the University of California- UC Berkeley. However, the weather was terrible on my open day and it rather dampened and spoilt the atmosphere :frown: And the large negative finally being that it's 40 miles down the road from me and still in the same county...I need to get away from Norfolk. The UEA would be perfect if it was another part of the country :wink:

However, I still have many unis to choose from which is excellent...Although, Leicester I feel is going to be a large resounding 'No!'
Reply 17
Olipop
Although, Leicester I feel is going to be a large resounding 'No!'

Ahaha; yeah, I thought that, too! To me, the Uni. looked a bit like a factory :s-smilie: We've nearly applied to all the same Uni's bar one! =)

Warwick still haven't sent me anymore notifications; the b*****s :yep:

I think I might firm Nottingham, anyway. Not too sure yet!

How about you?

Sorry for this long essay you had to just read! :wink:
Reply 18
LukeeGRANT
Warwick still haven't sent me anymore notifications; the b*****s :yep:

I think I might firm Nottingham, anyway. Not too sure yet!

How about you?

Sorry for this long essay you had to just read! :wink:

Well, I'm off to Nottingham tomorrow :biggrin: so I'll have a good idea about whether I want to go there :wink: Although I really like Birmingham; love the city and old red brick buildings :biggrin:

Warwick is seriously taking their time, I'm worried that I'm on the maybe pile... :frown: the bastards :wink:

It wasn't too much of an essay :smile: It's great that there are ppl on TSR I can relate to, we American Studies applicants are the minority :frown:
Reply 19
You guys are even more in the minority post King's department closing down. It's a real shame.

Latest

Trending

Trending