The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
EskimoJo
That guy isn't beautiful, so.... :dontknow:

I think he was beautiful!
Out of curiousity, what don't you like about him?
Reply 21
Shannon Matthews family didn't even look human and they got news coverage all the time. Ridiculous theory.
Can't remember the exact term/definition used, but psychologists have found that, more often than not, if we label someone as 'physically attractive', we tend to generalise this attractiveness and apply it to other qualities of the individual.

edit: just remembered - it's called 'the halo effect', and I've applied it to physical attractiveness above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect
Reply 23
Retrospect
Can't remember the exact term/definition used, but psychologists have found that, more often than not, if we label someone as 'physically attractive', we tend to generalise this attractiveness and apply it to other qualities of the individual.

edit: just remembered - it's called 'the halo effect', and I've applied it to physical attractiveness above.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

Interesting article! This explains why my English teacher believes I'd never lie hehe :cute:
Reply 24
:dontknow:

Maybe it does matter..
Reply 25
zircom
:dontknow:

Maybe it does matter..

Off topic: I love that song on your profile!! :music: "its real love, that you don't know about!" :love:
Reply 26
sakina101
Off topic: I love that song on your profile!! :music: "its real love, that you don't know about!" :love:

You're the one that I want
No one can take it from me
No no no no no
Even though I don't really know you
I got a lot of love I wanna show you
And you be right there in front of me
I see you passing in front of me
No no no girl I need your love
Baby I need your love

:wink:

Spoiler

EskimoJo
That guy isn't beautiful, so.... :dontknow:

I think he's very, very beautiful. Perfect face.

Strange :s-smilie:

Anyway OP yes it does matter, remember when Shannon Matthews went missing, vs Maddie McCann.
Reply 28
Beauty is the most important thing in the world, after intelligence

Bubbles*de*Milo

Anyway OP yes it does matter, remember when Shannon Matthews went missing, vs Maddie McCann.

That's mainly cos her mum was a thick **** who forgot to kill her daughter and dispose of her body everyone in the UK just lolled when she was found down the road locked in a flat, unlike the educated mr and mrs mccann,

This is what a university education gets you
Reply 29
Bubbles*de*Milo

Hmm, just me then! I think he'd be a pretty attractive woman, but his perfectly arched eyebrows and high cheekbones just don't do it for me.
Reply 30
No not Shanon Matthews, the most ugly child I have ever seen no wonder you would want to hide that thing she looks like the offspring of a hippo whos been beaten with a frying pan
Reply 31
Chris Henry was famous, not beautiful. This is why he had so much coverage, when someone famous dies, everybody wants to know about it even if they haven't heard of said person before. It's just the inquisitive mind of the human being.

As for maddie, that was hyped up in the media because of the parents wanting as much coverage as possible so that they could find her. Who knows, some people like to keep these things between the police and themselves.

As for the subject topic "Does beauty matter" i think yes, beautiful people get treated better. People have better opinions of beautiful people and these people create good first impressions as these are 90% visual.. Although most don't admit it, looks are high priority whether it's friends or a love interest, you can't disguise the fact that beauty helps the world go round.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that's irrelevant, if the girl doesn't have a big pair of tits then she's not important.
In one sentence: it shouldn't matter, but it does.
Reply 34
We're all guilty of it. I took one look at Jessica Lynch's wiki page and went 'awww' because she's so pretty and because the MWWS page made me think she was killed in war (didn't read it properly). She wasn't actually killed in war but when I thought she was it made me more upset than I would have been had it been an average joe soldier. That's wrong but it's human.

That's just how it is. When I'm 35 no one will care about me if I'm abducted :frown:
It's human nature to do so.
Reply 36
zircom
You're the one that I want
No one can take it from me
No no no no no
Even though I don't really know you
I got a lot of love I wanna show you
And you be right there in front of me
I see you passing in front of me
No no no girl I need your love
Baby I need your love

:wink:

Spoiler

ahh, that song makes me melt!

and rush the floor is beautiful too! :music:

Ay yo, I know that you're feeling to stay close
First call me up, Then maybe we can just lay low
Then we gotta dip out of here, And if they see you leave with me
They know, That your not on your way home
Im'a give you love then maybe we can just lay low
Shorty shorty tell me how you feel
Doing the things you did with me tonight

:mmm:
I think beauty matters. If one person has a beautiful physical appearance and someone else doesn't, but they're equal in every other way, then it would be more tragic if something happened to the beautiful one as more beauty would be lost from the world, and beauty is a positive thing in life. The beautiful one is contributing more positively to the world, even if they aren't trying harder, just by being more beautiful and adding beauty to things.
Reply 38
Tom.
Chris Henry was famous, not beautiful. This is why he had so much coverage, when someone famous dies, everybody wants to know about it even if they haven't heard of said person before. It's just the inquisitive mind of the human being.

As for maddie, that was hyped up in the media because of the parents wanting as much coverage as possible so that they could find her. Who knows, some people like to keep these things between the police and themselves.

As for the subject topic "Does beauty matter" i think yes, beautiful people get treated better. People have better opinions of beautiful people and these people create good first impressions as these are 90% visual.. Although most don't admit it, looks are high priority whether it's friends or a love interest, you can't disguise the fact that beauty helps the world go round.

I would say Chris Henry was beautiful and famous.:cute:
You make really good points on the last paragraph, food for thought!
Not quite the same, but in death too beauty is focused upon.

For example (hypothetical situation):

'My friend at work's nephew died from leukemia last week'
'Oh, no, how awful'
'Yes, he was so handsome as well, it's such a shame'

Cue focus upon his looks.

But to be fair, you could do it any way:

'Oh, no, how awful'
'Yes, he was so clever as well, it's such a shame'

Or:

'Oh, no, how awful'