The Student Room Group

Football V Girlfriend on Valentines

Anon please because she is on here. She will probably realise it is me anyway though.

My football club has a big game on Valentines weekend. I really want to go (will be my first away game too). However, of course, it is valentines day on the Sunday. My girlfriend has said she doesn't mind me going, however, I am unsure if she is saying this just to make me happy, or if she really doesn't mind.

I really want to go to the game, but I really want to be with my gf on valentines day too (and I can't really do both because of the distance).

Any advice from the girls here? (would you really mind, or be understanding, or say "ok" just so your bf would be happy).
Thanks.

(and to a certain someone - if you do see this, I really don't know what to do lol).

Scroll to see replies

Ditch her on Valentines Day for football and she will hate you forever.

EDIT: Take her to the game. She'll hate you, but a bit less. Then you can treat her later on that day.
Reply 2
Girl + you go to the match? :gah:
Tbh, I'd sacrifice football if there's an increased chance of getting my leg over
Reply 4
Bit hard for us both to go. Its an away game, and you will only be able to get a ticket if your a season ticket holder. And it could well end up being a "bubble" game too.
Reply 5
what you should do is pretend you're going to the game then surprise her on valentines day at her house.
Reply 6
maybe do something brilliant before or after lol or even move valentines to suit u guys if u get me - the date doesnt really matter lol it's the actual day that does
Valentine's day is just another day- there's no extra love for your partner on that day, it's just some placebo rubbish.
Do what you would normally do on that day which is play football. If she can come, great. If she can't come along, it's a shame. Make it up to her later on. Remember, valentine's day isn't the make or break of a relationship. If she gets angry over valentine's day, then she doesn't value the relationship.
Reply 8
9MmBulletz
Valentine's day is just another day- there's no extra love for your partner on that day, it's just some placebo rubbish.
Do what you would normally do on that day which is play football. If she can come, great. If she can't come along, it's a shame. Make it up to her later on. Remember, valentine's day isn't the make or break of a relationship. If she gets angry over valentine's day, then she doesn't value the relationship.

Just to clear it up, I'm not playing (I'm not good enough :p:). I mean going to watch a game lol.
Whilst I'd love to say go to the game, I know that any girl would be furious over this! Is it on tele? If it is, make an agreement that you'll make V.Day good, but you get those two hours to watch the game.
Im off snowboarding over valentines. Its the way it falls every year.

I just take her out and spoil her before or after. I personally hate valentines day. But it is for the girls really
The football game is for 90 minutes, your girlfriend is forever.
If football was something really important to him I'd let a guy go on Valentines day and suggest that we celebrated it another day.
Football > Girlfriend.

It's only 90 minutes.
Reply 14
If she said she doesn't mind then she doesn't mind. Not everyone cares about valentines day. I wouldn't give two ***** if my boyfriend said he wanted to do something like that on valentines day because I don't give two ***** about valentines day.
Unfortunately, sometimes when girls say they're ok with something they don't mean it. It depends on what kind of person your girlfriend is.
My boyfriend's going to watch rugby on valentines day, he invited me but I said no coz I'm not into it.
Even if you take her out another day she might still be a bit resentful, it depends how much she likes valentines day.
Sport is in a man's blood though, it's just the way it is and girls sometimes don't understand that.
If I was your girlfriend I seriously wouldn't mind. You could always celebrate Valentines some other day. Just tell her exactly what you've told us here, and as long as you make it up to her I really don't see the problem :smile:
Reply 17
Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission.
V Day is just the same as any other day really.
You a fan of the Mags, by chance?
Roobsa
what you should do is pretend you're going to the game then surprise her on valentines day at her house.

What if she's cheating on him...

Now look what you've done...

Latest

Trending

Trending