Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okorange)
    I'll second this, St Andrews was a less intellectual than I thought. I have been able to find plenty of highly intelligent motivated people as friends, I guess its just the loudest are often the least intellectual. However, without having been to other unis I can't really compare. I was expecting a more academic focus but common complaints/jokes in St Andrews are common of many schools (skipping class, hangovers, going to fail exams etc)

In the end though, the lack of academic focus just makes doing well yourself easier, so its not entirely bad.
    People like myself who 'tried' in 1st year got odd comments from people who wanted to waste their time and money on not turning up to class. More fool them but having done the MChem and now with PhD in progress here I find the complaints in this thread very odd. I came here to get a good degree, and anyone who wants one will get one here.

If you want to mess around and not turn up then you have no reason to complain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blitzkrieg15)
    Royal Holloway are known to ask for AAA and then still take you with CCD. They are also not as isolated as St Andrews, being a short bus ride from Legoland and Windsor.
    You go to Nottingham, right? They took me with CCD at AS, for Industrial Economics, as did my other 4 choices that pose difficulty to get into, some of which asking for AAA.

Getting into university isn't difficult if your AS grades are lacklustre, as long as you get their high offers in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exceptional)
    You go to Nottingham, right? They took me with CCD at AS, for Industrial Economics, as did my other 4 choices that pose difficulty to get into, some of which asking for AAA.

Getting into university isn't difficult if your AS grades are lacklustre, as long as you get their high offers in the end.
    I don't go to Nottingham. How did you get AAA in the end? They must have given you a conditional offer, in which case they were just being cheeky, seeing that you probably wouldn't convert CCD to AAA.

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to Nottingham. How did you get AAA in the end?
    I haven't yet - still in my A2 year, but I'm working hard to get at least AAA in the end, which is quite important since my insurance wants that.

My point was, it isn't hard to get into a good university with underachieved AS grades if you have a good personal statement and a commitment to succeed, so I was questioning the relevance of pointing out the AS grades that got Captivated into RH.

I see you've posted about an MSc at RH. You want to know if they're poshos and privately educated? Yes, many great sophisticates attend.

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to Nottingham. How did you get AAA in the end? They must have given you a conditional offer, in which case they were just being cheeky, seeing that you probably wouldn't convert CCD to AAA.
    I appreciate your doubts but I'll let you know. <3

ReputationRep:
    They have plenty of opportunity to pretend to be like Oxbridge through debating and wining and dining societies, and wearing goofy gowns etc. The average student has A*A*Aa, so they should be bright enough to know what to do with their spare time.
    This makes no sense in reference to my original point about St Andrews and OP's post. What are you talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    This makes no sense in reference to my original point about St Andrews and OP's post. What are you talking about?
    LOL

ReputationRep:
    Actually you have to know that a lot of Exceptional's AS grades were wrong but I'm not going to get into explaining how and why.

All I can say is he will get AAA in the end so you can drop me a PM in august asking if he got into Nottingham and expect a yes

ReputationRep:
    LOL
    I spoke about night life and what op should've known. Are you drunk Blitzkrieg15?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    People like myself who 'tried' in 1st year got odd comments from people who wanted to waste their time and money on not turning up to class. More fool them but having done the MChem and now with PhD in progress here I find the complaints in this thread very odd. I came here to get a good degree, and anyone who wants one will get one here.

If you want to mess around and not turn up then you have no reason to complain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For MSc and PhD maybe you are right; for undergrad level - not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MickMike)
    I heard St. Andrews did much better in undergrad rankings than grad rankings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MickMike)
    Depends on department but most are of high quality with respect to teaching and research. Should also add that the MChem is an integrated masters so taken as part of a 5 year undergrad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    Depends on department but most are of high quality with respect to teaching and research. Should also add that the MChem is an integrated masters so taken as part of a 5 year undergrad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm talking about departments that are first or in the top 5 of the UK rankings

ReputationRep:
    UK rankings are misleading, they hide the not so pretty side of a university, such as poor facilities and management, as well as PhD students teaching in first year. As for student satisfaction . . .

ReputationRep:
    UK rankings are misleading, they hide the not so pretty side of a university, such as poor facilities and management, as well as PhD students teaching in first year. As for student satisfaction . . .
    I love your persistence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    I love your persistence.
    I've been down this road before, and realised just how false an impression UK league tables can give of a university. Nottingham and York have outspent other UK universities on their campuses over the last 10 years, spending well over £1 billion combined, and neither feature in the UK top 10 at present. Bristol is due to spend £300 million very soon, see where they end up after that, I bet little improvement in league tables.

ReputationRep:
    I've been down this road before, and realised just how false an impression UK league tables can give of a university. Nottingham and York have outspent other UK universities on their campuses over the last 10 years, spending well over £1 billion combined, and neither feature in the UK top 10 at present. Bristol is due to spend £300 million very soon, see where they end up after that, I bet little improvement in league tables.
    "False" or "focused on different things to you"?

They're a tool, nothing more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    "False" or "focused on different things to you"?

They're a tool, nothing more.
    The old saying goes, choose a university that feels right when you visit. League tables can help compile the list of 5 universities, but not the actual final choice.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's five years later. I wonder how the Original Poster enjoyed St, Andrews in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orlrighty)
    Well, it's five years later. I wonder how the Original Poster enjoyed St, Andrews in the end?
    Either transferred, or committed suicide.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.