The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3100
Tori687
I dont know about linc or notts food but when i was at college the catered halls where very expensive for the food they gave, i would much prefer to be self catered!

Isnt it always that the selfcatered works out similar to the catered one?

I know, Id probably choose the cheapest option. :woo:
Reply 3101
Kurzyk
Isnt it always that the selfcatered works out similar to the catered one?

I know, Id probably choose the cheapest option. :woo:

i think I will have to choose the cheapest option!
Not sure about uni, at my college it was more expensive to have the caterd option and the food was pretty poor.
Suppoe it depends if you go self catered and live on caviar then that will proove more expensive lol
Kurzyk
We're supposed to hear at the very end of march, so in about 2 weeks. That's what it was like for people last year, so most probably same this year as well.

Hey, how about u tell us a bit about the course? :yes:

ask anything you want:smile:
Reply 3103
starfall
:yes: im liking the use of the word "need" maybe thats how everyone should look at it... i dont just want to be a vet, I need to be one! :p:

Its true.. I know how dramatic this sounds but since Notts rejected me yesterday I actually feel like my life has no purpose..and cant see me doing anything else...so I do need it really hahaha. I'll prob have to fight this one out for the next year...which suits me. Just have to convince my parents...and find fun things to keep me occupied for the year =/
Reply 3104
Tori687
i think I will have to choose the cheapest option!
Not sure about uni, at my college it was more expensive to have the caterd option and the food was pretty poor.
Suppoe it depends if you go self catered and live on caviar then that will proove more expensive lol

Hahaha, well yes, caviar would be more expensive, lol! :rofl:

But then, Ive heard so much about how students learn what to buy and what not to buy and it takes quite a while to realise where the cheapest food is in shops and what is cheapest and when to buy it - like when the price gets reduced and... and... AND I HATE SHOPPING! So I wouldnt be happy with having to spend ages in shops looking around for food when my stomach would already be digesting itself. :woo:
Reply 3105
Tori687
I really think you should at least give it one more years chance, is this the first year you've applied, and dont give up yet as you still have a good chance for this year! You could do what i did and get some paid work and rent a room in a shared house for the year and then fill every other living minute fo your life with work exp lol.
I was worried about cost of post grad but apparantly there is funding you can find and bursaries for second degrees to make it more affordable.
You just got to do whats best for you, only you know how much you want it and realistically how mcuh you can do/put up with at home etc;
:smile: xxx

Last year I applied but to different places. I applied for the pre-lim at bristol, RVC gateway and liverpool D100 but withdrew and never went to any of the interviews coz I was havin probs at home and knew I wouldnt have coped with uni this year because of it...so its my second time applying technically. I'll prob give it another year..just need to sort something out to do with my year haha
Reply 3106
tink_89
Its true.. I know how dramatic this sounds but since Notts rejected me yesterday I actually feel like my life has no purpose..and cant see me doing anything else...so I do need it really hahaha. I'll prob have to fight this one out for the next year...which suits me. Just have to convince my parents...and find fun things to keep me occupied for the year =/

i know what you mean, when i got my final rejection last year it was horrible coz the only thing ive ever wanted to do was to be a vet, you just have to keep going full steam and throw urself into getting work experience and paid work and everything uni's want! i worked at a kennels for like 5 months which was the most fun job i even had so id definately recommend something like that if you can find it :smile:
Reply 3107
PsYCho ThInKeR

Right, so, where do u live like? And what does ur normal day look like? Are u catered or self-catered? How many practicals do u get to do and what are they like? Do u need to buy any special equipment before the course starts? What is the Lincoln city like? How do u manage to get the 60% in each unit? Is it hard? Do u get much help with ur studies? Are the people who make sure ur on track to achieve the 60%? How many lectures per week do u have? Hypothetically speaking, if something happened in ur life that would mean u didnt achieve the 60% do u get a chance to resit it or something like that? How many people are there on the course now?

This is a lot of questions, sorry if it looks/is overwhelming. :woo:
Reply 3108
Kurzyk
Hahaha, well yes, caviar would be more expensive, lol! :rofl:

But then, Ive heard so much about how students learn what to buy and what not to buy and it takes quite a while to realise where the cheapest food is in shops and what is cheapest and when to buy it - like when the price gets reduced and... and... AND I HATE SHOPPING! So I wouldnt be happy with having to spend ages in shops looking around for food when my stomach would already be digesting itself. :woo:

hahhahaha well can you cook!? maybe we shoud live together, I have learnt the whole student shopping at college learnt how to buy cheap cheap and go in at like midnight for the 2p bread lol :smile: loved it, so i could shop you could cook becuase i am no chef!
Reply 3109
PsYCho ThInKeR

Lol I just pm'd you a message similar to this! x
Reply 3110
Tori687
hahhahaha well can you cook!? maybe we shoud live together, I have learnt the whole student shopping at college learnt how to buy cheap cheap and go in at like midnight for the 2p bread lol :smile: loved it, so i could shop you could cook becuase i am no chef!

I learned how to cook when I was about 12 and I spent half of my life watching my mum in the kitchen, I cook a few times a week as well.
We could live together, thatd be an awesome idea! You shop, I cook and... you do the dishes as well! :woo:

I can bake as well! :woo:

I heard about the 2p bread as well! When I was at the nottingham summer school we had like a session about this and the students told us all the deepest secrets of saving money on food! :woo:
Reply 3111
Kurzyk
I learned how to cook when I was about 12 and I spent half of my life watching my mum in the kitchen, I cook a few times a week as well.
We could live together, thatd be an awesome idea! You shop, I cook and... you do the dishes as well! :woo:

I can bake as well! :woo:

I heard about the 2p bread as well! When I was at the nottingham summer school we had like a session about this and the students told us all the deepest secrets of saving money on food! :woo:

Well thats it sorted then! We need to find somewhere together haha one chef and one shop/pot wash girl, I can make a mean cocktail if that helps! and we can study lots lol :smile:
Reply 3112
Tori687
Well thats it sorted then! We need to find somewhere together haha one chef and one shop/pot wash girl, I can make a mean cocktail if that helps! and we can study lots lol :smile:

Lol, I have a new argument for choosing Lincoln then. Hahaha. :ahee:
Reply 3113
Kurzyk
Lol, I have a new argument for choosing Lincoln then. Hahaha. :ahee:

having your own personal shopper/pot wash/cocktail making study partner mwhahaha definatly on the pro list!
Reply 3114
Tori687
having your own personal shopper/pot wash/cocktail making study partner mwhahaha definatly on the pro list!

Having your own chef who has never ever, word, poisoned anybody and whoever has tasted their food is alive to this day on, maybe there are a few exceptions, is awesome, isnt it? :woo:
Kurzyk
Right, so, where do u live like? And what does ur normal day look like? Are u catered or self-catered? How many practicals do u get to do and what are they like? Do u need to buy any special equipment before the course starts? What is the Lincoln city like? How do u manage to get the 60% in each unit? Is it hard? Do u get much help with ur studies? Are the people who make sure ur on track to achieve the 60%? How many lectures per week do u have? Hypothetically speaking, if something happened in ur life that would mean u didnt achieve the 60% do u get a chance to resit it or something like that? How many people are there on the course now?

This is a lot of questions, sorry if it looks/is overwhelming. :woo:

not a problem.
i live on the lincoln high street, in a house share so uncatered. share with 4 others, i really like it, no arguments yet.
semester A you do mammalian physiology, core chemistry and biochemistry, animal welfare and management and research methods. practicals are related to the topics. you dont need to buy anything, there is a lab sale in your freshers week where you buy a labcoat, spatula and safety specs. lincoln itself is really nice, right on the high street, 5 min from train station so all good. at riseholme you are in the middle of nowhere.i paying about less than £3000 for my accomodation which is REALLY cheap. riseholme is about £4000 maybe more and so is uni halls. i had to go to a house share as accom filled up when i applied. we have a course tutor, who no one really likes as hes not very helpful. what i would say is that mammalian physiology is difficult, the lectures are brilliant but she marks so strictley and thats why it gets difficult to get 60. getting my semester A results tommorow:eek3:
like tommorow i have a mmalian physiology lecture at 9 and then a comparative anatomy lecture after that (we do this in semester b only). i will have to get on the bus about 8ish as it leaves at 8.20. you get there at 8.45 so just in time for lecture. my lecture finishes at 11 but i the next bus returns to lincoln at 12.30 so a long wait (at first you will get VERY annoyed with the bus times).
if ypu dont get 60% you can have one resit in july but no matter how high over 60 you get, your mark will be capped at 60%. (normally its 40% but cuz were on the course we get it capped at 60%).
im happy in my house share but lincoln halls are great for geting to know people.
hope ive answered everything, let me know if you need anything else.
edit : bus takes about 20-30min to get there. but the timings are terrible. from riseholme to lincoln the times are : 8.55, 10.25, 12.30, 1.55, 3.25 and 5.15.
when lectures finish in the middle of the bus times you have a long wait. but remember you have chemistry lectures at brayford. semester A you have 1 module of chem but in semester b you have 50% chem as its a double unit so 50% of lectures are at brayford. if its a 9am chem lecture at brayford you have to do a taxi which costs about £6-7 and if it finishes at 5 (which it mostly does) you have to get a taxi back. the uni have JUST agreed to reimburse the taxi costs for the 2 riseholme students.
Reply 3116
Tori687

Except after just looking at your photos on facebook i have just discovered that we have the same slippers! this could lead to confusion!
Reply 3117
PsYCho ThInKeR
not a problem.
i live on the lincoln high street, in a house share so uncatered. share with 4 others, i really like it, no arguments yet.
semester A you do mammalian physiology, core chemistry and biochemistry, animal welfare and management and research methods. practicals are related to the topics. you dont need to buy anything, there is a lab sale in your freshers week where you buy a labcoat, spatula and safety specs. lincoln itself is really nice, right on the high street, 5 min from train station so all good. at riseholme you are in the middle of nowhere.i paying about less than £3000 for my accomodation which is REALLY cheap. riseholme is about £4000 maybe more and so is uni halls. i had to go to a house share as accom filled up when i applied. we have a course tutor, who no one really likes as hes not very helpful. what i would say is that mammalian physiology is difficult, the lectures are brilliant but she marks so strictley and thats why it gets difficult to get 60. getting my semester A results tommorow:eek3:
like tommorow i have a mmalian physiology lecture at 9 and then a comparative anatomy lecture after that (we do this in semester b only). i will have to get on the bus about 8ish as it leaves at 8.20. you get there at 8.45 so just in time for lecture. my lecture finishes at 11 but i the next bus returns to lincoln at 12.30 so a long wait (at first you will get VERY annoyed with the bus times).
if ypu dont get 60% you can have one resit in july but no matter how high over 60 you get, your mark will be capped at 60%. (normally its 40% but cuz were on the course we get it capped at 60%).
im happy in my house share but lincoln halls are great for geting to know people.

THank you :smile: this is all really helpful :smile: Alot to take in! The buses sound a bit slow but It is better than walking :smile: /What is the uni like overall is it 'friendly'???
Reply 3118
PsYCho ThInKeR
not a problem.

This is good, one resit. :woo: Fingers crossed for ur results tomorrow! GOOD LUCK! :woo:

Cheaper options, cheaper options... Apparently Lincoln offers accom for all 1st years! But I know how it was in ur case, u said they phoned u on the results day, so I suppose everything was filled. How did u find the place where u live now then? U live with people from the course?

Also, how do u find having to cook for urself and shopping as well? :woo:

This is all great info, thanks a lot! You have the guinea pigs blessing! :biggrin:
Reply 3119
PsYCho ThInKeR
not a problem.

If you had got into accomodation which would you have chosen lincoln uni or riseholme? How did you find out about the shared hoiuse, is it anything to do with the uni -or totally private?

Latest

Trending

Trending