The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5380
LDVet

Anyone have cats that love the snow? Ours do, even though their pads get pretty cold and raw. I've never seen cats bound about and dig in the snow like they do. It's just great to see.

My cat Tuli spent most of the winter face planting/ploughing the snow! I agree, very funny and soo sweet to watch!

Also, cats and rats? :gthumb:
Reply 5381
LDVet
Ah, I seem to have turned the conversation towards cats. Some people at vet school know me as the, "crazy cat and rat lady". Most people here are more into dogs I think. I haven't met anyone yet who shares quite the level of obsession as I do, although obviously there are more passionate cat people out there than me. :P

my best friend said something hilarious to me once about my obsession with cats...."will we still be friends when we're older? i'd really like it if we were, my children and your cats could play together" :cool:

starfall

if you live that close to a busy road maybe think about getting a different pet, i know it sounds harsh but imagine if you lived on a really busy road and your indoor cat escaped, it would have no traffic sense and wouldnt stand a chance :s-smilie:

no idea if that's aimed at me or not (as i mentioned i lived near a busy road) but my cat is not an indoor cat, and i actually don't agree with keeping cats inside when there's no medical or practical (i.e. living in a flat) reason for doing so.

there's no way we'd keep him in even in we tried. he's got other cats to be harrassing after all! and i think once they've been outdoor cats for any real amount of time, it's almost impossible to change that and keep them indoors.
starfall
back from canada early :frown:
the whole trip was a disaster, i nearly got refused entry into the country and then the stables was nowhere near as big as they claimed, instead of 60 horses they had less than 20 :frown: it basically ment there was nothing for me to do, i kept asking if there was extra jobs, grooming, mucking out, cleaning tack etc but they just said no there wasnt and told me to go and relax.
I decided to come home because it was costing me too much money to be there if i wasnt learning anything or being vaguely helpful

on the cat subject... im fully in favour of cats going outside. my cats just use the catflap to come and go as they please, much less hassle for everyone! i dont really think cats should be kept indoors all the time unless its for medical reasons because they wont get enough exercise and i dont think they should be cooped up all the time! if you live that close to a busy road maybe think about getting a different pet, i know it sounds harsh but imagine if you lived on a really busy road and your indoor cat escaped, it would have no traffic sense and wouldnt stand a chance :s-smilie:

and ldvet i agree, frogs make a terrible noise! and their blood is a funny colour...

that sucks! at least you're still going to america
steph_v
So I got up and found a fully grown wild rabbit under my head. That was great fun trying to catch it.

You...you mean under your bed, right?! Cute fluffy bunnies are not pillows!
We've never had a cat, I want one :smile:
Reply 5385
Chloe that sucks! Canada is such a lovely place too, I really love it :frown: I'm really sorry you had a rubbish time!
I'm definitely for outdoor cats! (Well, cats that can choose to go in and out whenever they please). As I mentioned earlier, one of my cats had to be kept in a large dog cage for 6 weeks to let her pelvis heal. However, one night she had managed to get out of this cage and tried to go upstairs to my room, which showed how desperate she was to get out of a confined space (the gap was barely 10cm wide and considering she couldn't manoeuvre easily with her broken hip, this was pretty incredible!).
I also considered keeping her indoors when she started having epileptic fits 1-2/day, cos she loves climbing trees and walking on the roof of our house (which is sloped), and I was scared she might have one when she was up any considerable height. However, she did stop having them (so I'm assuming they started from her licking her sister's neck soon after we'd given them both their flea treatments).
Apart from these 2 situations, I've never wanted to stop me cats going outside. They still have wild instincts in them (including killing and bringing nice dead presents into the house for all of us to see), and I think it's cruel to keep them indoors unless there are extenuating circumstances.
When I'm at uni (in a 2nd floor flat), I miss my cats, but wouldn't dream of bringing them here or getting another cat, cos I know they wouldn't be able to go outside (plus I wouldn't want to move my cats when they're so accustomed to family's home).
Reply 5387
PowerLewis
You...you mean under your bed, right?! Cute fluffy bunnies are not pillows!

Haha, yes, yes, I did. I knew you'd notice some typo somewhere, you're just out to get me.
starfall
back from canada early :frown:
the whole trip was a disaster, i nearly got refused entry into the country and then the stables was nowhere near as big as they claimed, instead of 60 horses they had less than 20 :frown: it basically ment there was nothing for me to do, i kept asking if there was extra jobs, grooming, mucking out, cleaning tack etc but they just said no there wasnt and told me to go and relax.
I decided to come home because it was costing me too much money to be there if i wasnt learning anything or being vaguely helpful

That's pretty ****, sorry :frown: Especially when it'll have cost you that much to get out there. Are you looking to go somewhere else over here, or just leaving it?
steph_v
Haha, yes, yes, I did. I knew you'd notice some typo somewhere, you're just out to get me.

You say that as if you've been worrying that I'm watching your posts like a hawk, determined to find any slip up and pounce on it. I'm really not sure I deserve such a creepy reputation. I think I preferred being PL the womaniser :frown:
Reply 5390
PowerLewis
You say that as if you've been worrying that I'm watching your posts like a hawk, determined to find any slip up and pounce on it. I'm really not sure I deserve such a creepy reputation. I think I preferred being PL the womaniser :frown:

I don't think you of as a womaniser, I know you're a big softie really :rolleyes:
karate_kat

(plus I wouldn't want to move my cats when they're so accustomed to family's home).

The only time we have ever kept out cats indoor was when we moved house, we kept them in for like 3 days so theyd get used to the house, but once we let them out we didnt see them for a whole week, god knows where they went, the all came back in the end though!
all our fish died after movign them though :frown:
our cat flap is one way, than can only go out through it, cats not allowed to sleep in the house at night (we do have cosy barns for them though, not like theyre in the streets)
Reply 5392
Today has been a productive day, but now I'm exhausted. It's my birthday a month today... but my exams start in 3 weeks and 1 day :o:
You on study leave yet? :smile:
Reply 5394
.captainsarah
That's pretty ****, sorry :frown: Especially when it'll have cost you that much to get out there. Are you looking to go somewhere else over here, or just leaving it?

im just gonna leave it i think, i go to texas on june 1st so its really not that long to be doing nothin :p:
Reply 5395
skatealexia
You on study leave yet? :smile:

We don't get study leave :frown:
And we've not even finished the Biology or Chemistry syllabuses!
steph_v

neither have we! or maths or psychology :redface: our chemistry teacher doesn't even seem to have any sense of urgency to get through everything, biology are panicking a little and making us finish a lot of notes as homework
last year we didn't finish psychology on time for the exam and had to self teach ourselves a huge section of it :p:
Reply 5397
nicola92
neither have we! or maths or psychology :redface: our chemistry teacher doesn't even seem to have any sense of urgency to get through everything, biology are panicking a little and making us finish a lot of notes as homework
last year we didn't finish psychology on time for the exam and had to self teach ourselves a huge section of it :p:

We've finished for Maths, although Core 3 we really rushed because our teacher was ill and had to miss 2 months of school. They couldn't find a decent replacement so we had to self teach ourselves most of it. I'm really struggling with the Core 3 past papers.
Reply 5398
steph_v

we never finished r biology syllabus last year, the teachers just said sorry but we'd have to learn the rest ourselves
Our teacher made it very clear from the start of the year that there were some chapters he just wasn't going to teach. When asked why, his response was "welll, it's A2 now, so you're all capable of working hard. And I don't really like teaching them, they're quite fiddly bits."
So y'know. Good times :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending