The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

who else is at Liverpool wednesday ?
Lady_Pendragon
I would say pretty certain. I was doing lambings unassisted by the end of the first day, and i think everyone i've spoken to has said the same. But I'd advise reading up a little about lambing before you go, if you do go, cos someone I know wasn't actually shown anything. She was just shown to the shed and told to get on with it!!

that sounds so fun! how do you go about organising lambing as I really want to do some
gemma_fallon
I know what you mean there is no time for anything anymore since applying to be a vet!

thanks :smile:, i hope yours goes well , do you think it will be a lot different from your cambridge one ?

Yes. I really do. Which is why i'm worried about it. I don't know what to expect, e.g whether they will just throw all the vet issues at me and expect me to answer them :s-smilie:
Reply 583
ViolinGirl
Yes. I really do. Which is why i'm worried about it. I don't know what to expect, e.g whether they will just throw all the vet issues at me and expect me to answer them :s-smilie:

But the Cambridge interviews sound horrible! Surely the Bristol one will be lovely compared to the Cambridge ones.
ViolinGirl
:p: Sounds weird. Was she like a year 11/12 student on work experience?

Am I the only person on here not doing work experience at the moment :eek: ?

I'm not - got showjumping training all day on wednesday and theory test on friday, so I thought it wasn't really worth it. Was supposed to be going up to the Idexx labs but the dad booked both wednesday and friday off, not realising I was busy those days :rolleyes:

There was once a really rude work exp boy at the vets I used to go to on a friday morning, the vets were begging me to go into surgery with them so he couldn't! And at the RSPCA one of the lads who used to help out took to following me around - he was a little odd and scary. But he was terrified of my friend who also went, so we tried to everything together just so he wouldn't watch me all the time :p:
steph_v
But the Cambridge interviews sound horrible! Surely the Bristol one will be lovely compared to the Cambridge ones.

I hope so :yep: Would be nice to have an insurance :smile:
Reply 586
steph_v

First time i applied i actually prefered by camb interview to my brizzle one, sure the questions are quite challenging but i dont think i needed to have as much actual vet knowledge. Bristol last year was horrible i just got asked question after question i didnt know the answer to. Saying that bristol this year was much more about me and my experiences, i guess it depends on your interviewers.
Reply 587
I can't even begin to imagine how hard a cambridge interview probably is to Bristol. My experience with Bristol was obviously a good one, i felt it was very relaxed, I can imagine the Cams one being super stressful. One thing that came back in my feedback was that i was 'personable' and 'chatty', so don't be too shy. If you don't know the answer, or know what to say to something, bring up something you do know. For example, she said 'So, you said you help out on reception at the vet practice you work at, have you had to deal with any difficult, or upset customers?'. That threw me because i didn't want to just point blank say no, so i expanded and said, i hadn't but working at River Island i often had to deal with them there, blah blah blah, so then we chatted about working there for a while.

Play to your strengths :wink:. Although, i did mention how my cat had died from leukemia which was very silly because i hardly know anything about it, so when i got asked about it I just sort of sat there looking confused, but it obviously didn't matter too much :smile:
Beckybob
Play to your strengths :wink:. Although, i did mention how my cat had died from leukemia which was very silly because i hardly know anything about it, so when i got asked about it I just sort of sat there looking confused, but it obviously didn't matter too much :smile:

I did something like this in my cam interview. They seemed to be drawing on everything that I brought up, and for some reason didn't pick up on that, and randomly decided to mention some case I saw at the vets about a rabbit that had overgrown teeth which were growing upwards...then the hard questions came! :eek:
I had to say...Sorry, I hadn't thought of that before, could you give me a moment to think that through...:o:
Erm...with these Bristol work experience questionaires:
Firstly I am uncertain of how to fill it in, and secondly, are we meant to send it back to them a.s.a.p? Or take it to the interview with us?

ViolinGirl
Firstly I am uncertain of how to fill it in, and secondly, are we meant to send it back to them a.s.a.p? Or take it to the interview with us?

send it back to them.

i'm watching the snowboarding at the moment. it looks so fun.
Reply 591
gemma_fallon
who else is at Liverpool wednesday ?

I'm at Liverpool wednesday :biggrin: kinda weird to think the next time I wake up (except tomorrow) I'll be waking up to get a train to Liverpool :cool:

ViolinGirl

It kinda says on the sheet :p: but yeh I'm also one of those people that can never be bothered reading the instructions so I'll explain :biggrin:

You just write in the number of weeks/factions of a week (days) you've done at the practice/what ever animal handling place in the box, and you send it back to them ASAP...in the instructions it actually says the word "now" which make me laugh :rolleyes:
Shedlife
I'm at Liverpool wednesday :biggrin: kinda weird to think the next time I wake up (except tomorrow) I'll be waking up to get a train to Liverpool :cool:

It kinda says on the sheet :p: but yeh I'm also one of those people that can never be bothered reading the instructions so I'll explain :biggrin:

You just write in the number of weeks/factions of a week (days) you've done at the practice/what ever animal handling place in the box, and you send it back to them ASAP...in the instructions it actually says the word "now" which make me laugh :rolleyes:

I think it was the layout that confused me, the farming bit. Or maybe I just didn't read it. :p:
Righto..better send off tomorrow then!
Reply 593
good luck with interviews this week :smile:
Reply 594
if u havnt done lambing i wud do it, even if its to stop u looking like a bit of a twit when it comes to yr first lambing EMS, wel i dont no i guess if u dont mind turning up as a vet student to a sheep farm to do ems and not having a clue what to do, yes you will pick it up really quickly etc etc but i personally would want some previous experience. i've heard quite a few farmers that have been quite shocked and slightly disapointed when vet students turn up that have never touched a sheep before as some years they get a fairly well experienced vet student and another year a totally unexperienced it must make it pretty tricky for them, but if u have experience they will like u more and hopefully pay you :p: and we all want a bit of money for EMS now dont we :p:
enough rambling..

good luck anyone with interviews and hurrry up bristol :smile:
Reply 595
Violin girl: Can't be bothered to click back 4 pages on this very slow internet to quote you! I got the lambing through a friend of a friend. I just asked around all my friends to see if they knew anyone and I got lucky, given that there are virtually no sheep farsm in Berkshire/surrounding area! But I have never been lambing before and I think this is quite a small family farm, so I might not get to do a huge amount. But we will see. My dairy placement last week was really hands on so hopefully this will be just as good!

Everyone's lambing sounds awesome though!

Good luck to people with interviews today/tomorrow :smile:
Reply 596
Rachhyyyy
if u havnt done lambing i wud do it, even if its to stop u looking like a bit of a twit when it comes to yr first lambing EMS, wel i dont no i guess if u dont mind turning up as a vet student to a sheep farm to do ems and not having a clue what to do, yes you will pick it up really quickly etc etc but i personally would want some previous experience. i've heard quite a few farmers that have been quite shocked and slightly disapointed when vet students turn up that have never touched a sheep before as some years they get a fairly well experienced vet student and another year a totally unexperienced it must make it pretty tricky for them, but if u have experience they will like u more and hopefully pay you :p: and we all want a bit of money for EMS now dont we :p:
enough rambling..

Ahh, I'm going to be one of them incompetent ones then :frown: Switzerland is sooooo different when it comes to work experience. People who apply to vet here have NONE what so ever, so the farmers think you're a little crazy when you ask out of the blue... and lambing here is way not as organised, the flocks are a lot smaller so they have fairly random lambing, and tend to leave their ewes to figure it out for themselves and only check once in a while because the flocks tend to be close to the farm. I REALLY want to do some though! You guys make it sound like so much fun!
Oh well, the dairy industry here is really varied though, lots of different breeds and types of holdings, so that's always really interesting :p:

Oh, and a question to everyone who had Edinburgh interviews: how were they compared to others? More vet based, more ps based, science based? Difficult or easy? I'm getting nervous, it's my last chance to impress!
Cambridge interviews are scary and high pressure, but they aren't expecting you to know all the answers. You still feel like a fool when you don't though :p: Also, I'd agree on not needing that much vet knowledge. I had to talk about lameness in horses, TB and a chicken disease in my PS, but none of them in too much detail. Lots of science questions instead.
I'd be more worried about a Bristol interview, I think, because I've heard they're big on LA experience and I have very little.

I'm lambing because I figured two days experience is better than none when it comes to EMS, though I'll still be an incompetent one :smile: I must phone my farmer and ask him what time to turn up, and where his farm actually is.

Good luck everyone :biggrin:
Reply 598
ClaireW2708
Cambridge interviews are scary and high pressure, but they aren't expecting you to know all the answers. You still feel like a fool when you don't though :p: Also, I'd agree on not needing that much vet knowledge. I had to talk about lameness in horses, TB and a chicken disease in my PS, but none of them in too much detail. Lots of science questions instead.
I'd be more worried about a Bristol interview, I think, because I've heard they're big on LA experience and I have very little.

Good luck everyone :biggrin:

Yeah that is true, I was only asked about LA stuff at my interview, which didn't suit me at all. I definitely think I prefer being asked about vetty stuff rather than the A Level science syllabus, but I suppose everyone is different.
steph_v
Yeah that is true, I was only asked about LA stuff at my interview, which didn't suit me at all. I definitely think I prefer being asked about vetty stuff rather than the A Level science syllabus, but I suppose everyone is different.

Me too, I think. But I had a 'vet' interview and then a 'science' one, so there was a bit of both. The science was mostly AS knowledge but applying it in different ways, to see how you think rather than what you know. Lucky for me, seeing as I forgot to take my revision guide to read the night before, and therefore gave some stupid answers. They just told me the answer and got me to apply that. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending