The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Soz! Thought people were talking of the advantages/disadvantages of multiculturalism, was just trying to look at it from an international perspective in that we also gave countries bad stuff.
Reply 41
Vienna
Thats my concern and belief.

Funny, the one time you and I agree I made multible spelling mistakes in my post.
Reply 42
LIBERTY FOR ALL
Its not nice to stereo type races like this

I would say a large amount of it has been brought in by immgrant, given the number that enter the UK yearly.

If you look at the figures for immigration compared to those who go on a foreign holiday, you would realise how immature that comment was.
If you were only looking at people going on 18-30 holidays and immigrants, you would still see a massive disparity.
Grow up, and go and do some research before doing any more pointless and speculative posting.
bikerx23
If you look at the figures for immigration compared to those who go on a foreign holiday, you would realise how immature that comment was.
If you were only looking at people going on 18-30 holidays and immigrants, you would still see a massive disparity.
Grow up, and go and do some research before doing any more pointless and speculative posting.

What an aggresive post
Unless you want me to belive that not a single one of the hundreds of thousends of immigrants that enter Britain have had aids then its valid. I see no harm in testing immigrants for HIV.
Reply 44
sorry - how can you claim that it is still valid if it is only a single one? You claimed that the majority of the aids brought into the country was carried by an immigrant, which i am not denying, i am just frustrated with your unscientific assumption that the majority of aids brought into the country was from immigrants.
Also - when did i state that i was against health checks on immigration?
Reply 45
So it's agreed then all the yanks and aussies as well as everyone else coming fom Africa will be tested for HIV and other diseases. Considering legal immigration means millions of people being tested I would just like to point out how well the NHS is doing right now...
Reply 46
Vienna
We believe in the rule of law. British law, not the codes or laws of any other ideology, religion or belief system.
Youre allegiance is to Britain and its values. Free speech, democracy, tolerance and individual freedoms.
We put an end to the obsessive self-loathing that denies our children the basic education in British history, heritage, acheivements.
We defend our civil liberties, the right to criticise religion, ideology and the beliefs of others.
We remain a sovereign nation. How can we talk about the British nation, if it is all but being eroded away? We are powerless to take effective measures against terrorism because of the disastrous trappings of the EU Human Rights Charter.

Thats what came off the top of my head...

Very well said.

After Vietnam, a lot of Vietnamese refugees (boat people) landed in the U.S. The Vietnamese and other orientals have assimilated very well into the American culture and are liked and respected.

Why, you ask? The try their best to speak English, no demands for special religious clothing to be worn in school, no demands to celebrate their cultural holidays, you rarely see them on welfare, they work hard, they don't complain, they don't demand affirmative action, they happily live by the U.S. rules of law and culture.

Now, what cultures are NOT as described above??????????
Reply 47

01. India never invaded any country in her last 1000 years of history.

India invaded Pakistan in 1965
Reply 48
Douglas
Why, you ask? The try their best to speak English, no demands for special religious clothing to be worn in school, no demands to celebrate their cultural holidays, you rarely see them on welfare, they work hard, they don't complain, they don't demand affirmative action, they happily live by the U.S. rules of law and culture.

Now, what cultures are NOT as described above??????????

Interesting points. Over all I think multiculturism does not work. It causes more problems than it helps - instead of spending time trying to educate the unemployed, the government sees it as easier to just ship in some qualified personel from abroad which is a vicious cycle. If this option wasn't on the cards we'd have less unemployed, I suspect less crime (Almost a ¼ of Britain’s 72,400 jail population come from ethnic minorities though they are less than 10% of the total population. [S Worker, 4 Jan 03]). There are a lot more arguements against than I've ever seen for but still no one does anything (excuse BNP, WS's from this).

Andrew
Reply 49
It's always depressing when you hear someone talk about the high number of ethnic minorities in jail as a justification for their far-right ideology when it has been shown in fact from different experts in sociology that this is down to plenty of factors ranging from discrimination in the work place which equals to ethnic minorities becoming working class and their kids following suit, police and judicial bias etc.

Do some research about this issue rather than follow everything you hear like a blind sheep...
Reply 50
Alexdel
It's always depressing when you hear someone talk about the high number of ethnic minorities as a justification for their far-right ideology when it has been shown in fact from different experts in sociology that this is down to plenty of factors ranging from discrimination in the work place which equals to ethnic minorities becoming working class and their kids following suit, police and judicial bias etc.

Do some research about this issue rather than follow everything you hear like a blind sheep...

Discrimination makes ethnic minorities? Wow, so every time a white fella says "Go back where ye came!", a little Muslim kid pops out his mouth? You really should spread the word, some people ought to know the truth. I can just see the Mail tomorrow: "BNP IS #1 SOURCE OF IMMIGRATION!".

..I think those experts saw you coming.. :wink:
Reply 51
JonD
Discrimination makes ethnic minorities? Wow, so every time a white fella says "Go back where ye came!", a little Muslim kid pops out his mouth? You really should spread the word. I can see the Mail tomorrow: "BNP NOW #1 SOURCE OF IMMIGRATION!".

..I think those experts saw you coming.. :wink:

It appears the need to be a smart ar*e is greater than debating to you...no surprise there then....
Reply 52
Alexdel
It appears the need to be a smart ar*e is greater than debating to you...no surprise there then....

Don't expect anything less at this hour..

What did you really mean then?
Reply 53
JonD
Don't expect anything less at this hour..

What did you really mean then?

It's pretty clear I was refering to ethnic minorities in jail....''judicial and police bias'' might have helped...and also I was replying to the previous post written by the BNP sympathiser..(should have quoted)
Reply 54
Alexdel
It's pretty clear I was refering to ethnic minorities in jail....''judicial and police bias'' might have helped...and also I was replying to the previous post written by the BNP sympathiser..(should have quoted)

Ah, sorry. I didn't know if you were talking about birthrates, crime, immigration figures.. Bit ambiguous.
twokeyalexe
if india is so good why move to the UK, why dont the indians go to india and make their country so much better-stilli would rather live in the UK.those stats ive seen before and who cares ,who invented the tv- a scotsman who invented the car a german one in three criminals are black what is your point-please explain the advantage of these stats especially chinese ownership of british industry

A rather naive & thoughtless comment, I would've thought :rolleyes: Haven't you stressed your brain cells enough to think of a rather obvious reason that it MAY BE, for the same reason "white British" nurses & doctors fancy moving to USA & Australia :rolleyes: Why don't white British nurses & doctors fancy using their skills WITHIN NHS & Britain, but NO, they prefer to take their skills abroad, where they will be better paid, as opposed to by being in their own country :rolleyes:

Chinese were rather SMART for not bidding on the company UNTIL the last moment, when the Land Rovers take-over price went around 3/4 of a billion, as opposed to placing their bid around the Election time, when the actual price to take over was OVER billion) & now, depending on how they get on, there's a tiny hope for some getting their job back, as opposed to HOPELESS promises by government, in the past.
Vienna
I think alot of that information is largely irrelevant to a question of British culture. A nation's culture provides a universal bond and belief between its citizens that protects it and them. The arguments for multiculturalism, despite actually being arguments for immigration, cannot offer such a bond. In a multi-cultural society, nothing is universal, the nation has been broken down into alot of sub cultures inhabiting the same land with the disastrous consequences when these cultures decide to oppose one another and fill the void.

Question is NOTHING to do with British Culture, however, I fear, as you might've noticed :rolleyes: as it's more to do with the benefit of having ethnic minorities within the country & hence the benefits mentioned is rather relevant, I would've thought :smile:
Rose64
Some people argue that a multicultural society is divisive in itself, as it is essentially "apartheid by consent".. cultures are celebrated but kept seperate, as in the case of single faith schools, which may result in poor inter-cultural and race relations. The government tend to promote a multiracial/assimilated society instead, where different cultures are respected, but everyone is ultimately "British." Although Tony Blair agrees with single faith schools, I think, while David Blunkett (when he was home sec.) said that ethnic minority families should try and speak English at home.

I fully supported what David Blunkett said then, after all, it makes MORE sense if these ethnic minorities sees themselves MORE British, by accepting British way of life, rather than being merely identified themselves by their religion or ethnic group :rolleyes:

If the London Bombers had seen themselves MORE British then they would've given 2nd thought before blowing their OWN British fellow countrymen :rolleyes:
twokeyalexe
36% of nasa employees-is that reflectedin the disastorous re-entry last time round

OR 64% of non-Indians could be responsible for this atrocity :biggrin: Using this rather immature logic of yours, surely it isn't implausible BLAMING 100% of white British being held responsible for the present state of Africa :rolleyes:
sherunsaway
What do you want instead? Do you want all the different races to hate and kill each other or something? Where would that get us? Why don't you just go and take your hatred to somewhere remote - preferably Antartica where you will find that black and white penguins can live together in peace.

Hear, Hear !!!

Latest

Trending

Trending