The Student Room Group

People sharing a bedroom under a share tenancy agreement.

Hello everyone,

I have a problem that I would like some advice on. Basically someone extra has moved into the house and is sharing a room but this has not been approved by the landlord or any of the tenants. I do not want them living here anymore so can I ask them to leave even though one person who also signed the tenancy said they can live with them?

The reasoning is they makes lots of noise when I am sleeping, make the kitchen a mess, use the bathroom etc and pay no rent!

Thank you
its probably against your tenancy agreement. i'd personally inform your landlord
Reply 2
Ok cool, I was thinking too. It says we are not allowed to sub-let in our Tenancy agreement. Though the problem is that surely this would mean we would be taking money from them or??
Reply 3
Does anyone else know where I stand, because if I ask them to leave there is no going back!
zcomputer5
Does anyone else know where I stand, because if I ask them to leave there is no going back!

It's most likely against the rules of your tenancy agreement.

However, maybe have a world with your legitimate housemate first? Maybe the person really needs a roof over their head for a few weeks and will be more considerate (if prompted) to clean up their mess.

Also if you do go straight to the landlord without talking to them (Which you are in your rights to do) you may find that a) the landlord knows and is turning a blind eye or more likely b) it'll make things very tense in your house. It's worth just having a chat first, see what's going on.
Reply 5
I'm pretty sure most tenancy agreements don't allow any extra people to live there whether they're paying or not.

Latest

Trending

Trending