The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Ask Absolutely Anything! (+FAQ)

Scroll to see replies

I have offers from both Warwick and Bristol to do maths. A few days ago I would have said I was 90% sure I wanted to choose Warwick although now I am having doubts about whether I will like being in the campus all the time or whether I would prefer being in a vibrant city like Bristol. Also I haven't heard great things about Warwick's social life and I am quite keen on using the social side of uni, can you still have a good time at warwick? Do people go on regular nights out? Any advice about these concerns or anything else to help make up my mind would be grateful! I'm struggling to choose between them.. :/
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Original post by bananadude
I have offers from both Warwick and Bristol to do maths. A few days ago I would have said I was 90% sure I wanted to choose Warwick although now I am having doubts about whether I will like being in the campus all the time or whether I would prefer being in a vibrant city like Bristol. Also I haven't heard great things about Warwick's social life and I am quite keen on using the social side of uni, can you still have a good time at warwick? Do people go on regular nights out? Any advice about these concerns or anything else to help make up my mind would be grateful! I'm struggling to choose between them.. :/

That's exactly like me last year! :five: Warwick and Bristol were the only places that gave me offers, I had rejections from the other 3. I'd say the social life is pretty good here, if you want to go out the you can find somewhere to go and other people who want to go out almost every night. :smile: Getting off the campus is pretty easy too, there are frequent buses to Coventry and Leamington Spa which go through the university.
Any Engineering applicants?
Hi, could any current students tell me about the social situation at Warwick? Is there enough to do on campus in the first year, or do you leave and go somewhere else for a club/pub?
Also, how's the accommodation? When I went up I didn't get a chance to see any.
Original post by jilebinator
How far is nandos away?

Should be in the FAQ tbh, such a vital question.
Original post by Gigamonkey
Hi, could any current students tell me about the social situation at Warwick? Is there enough to do on campus in the first year, or do you leave and go somewhere else for a club/pub?
Also, how's the accommodation? When I went up I didn't get a chance to see any.

On campus: there's campus, Leamington, Coventry and Birmingham. Typically in the first term you start of freshers in the union, before starting to branch out to Leamington (Smack, Evolve, Saints), Coventry (Kasbah) or use theuniexpress to get to Birmingham for Gatecrasher or similar.

Interested in a sports club? Some circle in the union on Wednesdays from 7pm before Pop (or Score, if they rename it back to that).

Leamington Bars: Kelseys, Duke, Kokos, The Clarendon, two Weatherspoons, TJs, the Loose Box, Saints, Moo, The White Horse, loads more - find them on Google Maps or something.

Buses to Leam and Cov are frequent too. Although expect to taxi back.

Check out the Warwick Accommodation Thread - there are photos of many halls in there and also comments by TSR members who have lived there.
Original post by tehforum
Should be in the FAQ tbh, such a vital question.

You coming to Warwick? :sexface:
Original post by jameswhughes
You coming to Warwick? :sexface:

Probably.

:colone:
Probably.

:colone:

Excellent. :smug:
Reply 2609
This is a question about living in the surrounding areas around the university after the first year.

Is there much to do around these areas to eat up some of your free time? I'm from London and there is always something going on, and I'm worried that there won't be much happening.
Reply 2610
Planning to do a visit to the school soon. Any recommendations on affordable accomodation in Coventry? Criteria: safe, clean and convenient (preferably near the railway) Probably reaching the city in late afternoon and think I'd better check-in for a night's rest before visiting the next day.
Reply 2611
Original post by hubble
Planning to do a visit to the school soon. Any recommendations on affordable accomodation in Coventry? Criteria: safe, clean and convenient (preferably near the railway) Probably reaching the city in late afternoon and think I'd better check-in for a night's rest before visiting the next day.

Are you sure you want to stay in Cov?

Leamington has some really nice places to stay as well. Check up on the Leamington Travel Lodge as well as the Landsdowne Hotel. Both are really nice for a short visit.
If you take a general engineering degree at Warwick do you have to do modules in Chemical and electronic because I dont particularly like these.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
If you take a general engineering degree at Warwick do you have to do modules in Chemical and electronic because I dont particularly like these.

Try take a peek around these pages http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/eng/eso/modules/year1 . I'm not an engineer though, so I know as much as you about the specifics :tongue:
Original post by JakeT15
This is a question about living in the surrounding areas around the university after the first year.

Is there much to do around these areas to eat up some of your free time? I'm from London and there is always something going on, and I'm worried that there won't be much happening.

Joining societies and sports clubs are pretty decent ways to fill up time and meet others you wouldn't normally meet. I'm heavily involved in two socs and a sports club, while I also dip into some others on the side. I know people who do more - but you can choose depending on your workload and when your lectures are.

To be honest, in term 2 third year I had lectures from 9-5, 9-7, 9-1, 1-5, 10-4 from Mon to Fri (not continuously, but that's when my first ones started and the last ones ended). I had stuff going on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays after my lectures finished and Thursday mornings was spent recovering from Pop/Score the night before. Weekends could be filled with more stuff, but I choose not to.
Reply 2615
Original post by kuks
Are you sure you want to stay in Cov?

Leamington has some really nice places to stay as well. Check up on the Leamington Travel Lodge as well as the Landsdowne Hotel. Both are really nice for a short visit.

That bad, huh? :s-smilie:
Because I have some lugguage that I'd probably have to lug along. Is it convenient to take a bus?
Reply 2616
Original post by hubble
That bad, huh? :s-smilie:
Because I have some lugguage that I'd probably have to lug along. Is it convenient to take a bus?

Yep the bus is really convenient. It'll take you straight from the station to Leamington Spa :smile:
Say if I brought a PS3 with me, will I be able to connect to PSN and play online games?
Original post by kuks
Yep the bus is really convenient. It'll take you straight from the station to Leamington Spa :smile:

Just out of interest, which bus stop is this? I walk up to the stop opposite the church at the bottom of the parade :lolwut: . Mind you, it's a 3/4 minute walk max :tongue:
Say if I brought a PS3 with me, will I be able to connect to PSN and play online games?

Yep.

You can't bring a router though - just unplug your laptop and put it in the PS3.

Quick Reply

Latest