The Student Room Group

How hard is Mathematics at University level?

Ok I am starting to worry that I have taken up the wrong course for University.

I got an A in Mathematics at A-level, but only by a few marks.

This year in my gap year, I am self-teaching myself Further Maths whilst working. I expect to get an A, just...

I am about to take Maths at Southampton University next year.
I am not very natural at maths, but I enjoy it and work fairly hard and am quite good at learning from the books.

Do you think I'll be able to cope with University level maths?

Scroll to see replies

how hard did you have to work for your a?
you probably need some spare capacity with which to increase your work.
if you dont have another gear to step up into, hmm :s-smilie:
Reply 2
If you can hold of university maths material... read the basic stuff... if you find it logical then its easy for you... if not then maybe you need to think over it carefully...

at the end of the day only you can really know... how hard or easy uni maths is

try reading basic book on analysis by walter rudin (can't remember any more)

linear algebra maybe...
Reply 3
I think that if you're willing to work hard, you'll do well even if you're not a natural at it.
Reply 4
however hard it is,maths is the most boring subject around. Not only that, you dont even learn and understand new stuff - all you do is get USED to the questions.

Don't waste your life over calculus and other shizzle. Just be normal and do something half decent
Reply 5
i.am.lost
I think that if you're willing to work hard, you'll do well even if you're not a natural at it.

This.
musama91
however hard it is,maths is the most boring subject around. Not only that, you dont even learn and understand new stuff - all you do is get USED to the questions.

Don't waste your life over calculus and other shizzle. Just be normal and do something half decent

at A level, yes.

beyond that, no.
Reply 7
musama91

what an ignorant, pointless post.

at OP, yea its tough, i only do it as like a minor, and a lot of people struggle, especially with analysis. but i think you just need to work, and then it should not be too hard.

but if you wanna know how you find, do what someone suggested, find a good introductory analysis book and read it for a bit.
Reply 8
further maths is the worst subject i have ever done!
Reply 9
Thanks for advice. Is it possible once you start at university, to chance course within the first few weeks to one month?

To go from Maths to say accounting, or statistics?
Macceroot
Thanks for advice. Is it possible once you start at university, to chance course within the first few weeks to one month?

To go from Maths to say accounting, or statistics?

You'd better check with Soton if that is where you are going. But people who are not sure about maths often choose a joint honours degree as easier to switch to the other subject (or away from it!). But yes at most universities people can switch in the first few weeks. As long as they meet the offer of the course they are switching to and its not full (of course people may be leaving the course you want to move to).

On the whole maths and stats degrees will often have a substantial overlap in the first year, and generally taught by the same department, making a switch easier.
Maths at university level is like "PROVE THIS OLOLOLOLOLOL Even though it's obvious JUST PROVE IT" :facepalm:

So I'd say it's very hard, personally.
joy12
If you can hold of university maths material... read the basic stuff... if you find it logical then its easy for you... if not then maybe you need to think over it carefully...

at the end of the day only you can really know... how hard or easy uni maths is

try reading basic book on analysis by walter rudin
(can't remember any more)

linear algebra maybe...

Rudin basic? :eek:

I would not look too much into university material. It will be confusing and you'll think you're not good at it due to confusion rather than ability. I don't think Analysis on your own is a good place to start. Uni material looks hard but once you study it formerly it's not bad at all. Just be prepared to work at it-- if you enjoy maths, then that won't be a problem. Try to learn stuff in your A levels maths properly, not just following set procedures and answering questions like a robot. Maybe look at AEA too.
why don't you study physics instead? still maths but with flavour:yep:
Reply 14
BillLionheart
You'd better check with Soton if that is where you are going. But people who are not sure about maths often choose a joint honours degree as easier to switch to the other subject (or away from it!). But yes at most universities people can switch in the first few weeks. As long as they meet the offer of the course they are switching to and its not full (of course people may be leaving the course you want to move to).

On the whole maths and stats degrees will often have a substantial overlap in the first year, and generally taught by the same department, making a switch easier.

Well I am doing Maths with Economics, 3:1...
Reply 15
silent ninja
Rudin basic? :eek:

Ah! well...
I could only remember Rudin for analysis :o: forgot all the other authors :biggrin:
Reply 16
Macceroot
I enjoy it and work fairly hard and am quite good at learning from the books.

In that case don't worry, you will be fine.
How hard is Warwick MORSE compared to Warwick maths.
Reply 18

...sorry, just wanted an excuse to post that! I honestly don't know but would be surprised if the level of "difficulty" differs much between the two.
Reply 19
What does the course consist of?

Is it all exams or is it coursework based too?

Latest