The Student Room Group

Wearing glasses - a disability?

(Title not intended to belittle serious disabilities btw) I've been wearing glasses for so long (ten years now) that its only now that I've come to realise just how much of an inconvenience they are, and how limiting they are to your everyday life.

I'm blind without mine, and its a little disconcerting thinking that without this plastic and metal contraption attached to my face all day I'd have no chance of survival. :p: Yet they are such a hassle, never being able to see in the shower, trying to get clothes on whilst your still wearing them, having to go swimming blind, doing anything active. And even after 10 years, many styles, and numerous adjustments I still haven't found a pair I can truly forget I'm wearing.

And the social side of it too, the stigma. People see you have glasses and immediately assume you are intelligent, may be a benefit for some but when you are thick like me its just embarassing. Or the assumption that you must be reserved, an introvert, bookish, shy and retiring etc etc.

Short of contact lenses, which I find an even bigger hassle overall than glasses to be honest, the only real option is laser vision. Its just a shame that its so expensive, and you have to wait till a quarter way through your life till you get it.

Anywhoos, just wanted to vent my frustration. Any sympathy from fellow "sufferers" appreciated. :p:

Scroll to see replies

I'm the same, and yeah it sucks, but life's a *****.
Reply 2
It's not a disability.
Walking in the pouring rain is the worst. :no:

Tbh, aside from the above and it being uncomfortable lying on my side to read while I have them on, mine really really don't bother me. I wear mine all the time, go running with them on and I never even think about it... I don't notice them. I also think I'd look weird without them.
Why do you find contact lenses such a hassle? Mine make me feel like I have always had perfect vision!
Reply 5
Oladz
It's not a disability.

True, unless you're registered blind / partially sighted or have a condition that can't be corrected by glasses.
Reply 6
I wear glasses and when I'm not wearing them I feel lost.

It is annoying for certain things though but it has never stopped me trying anything.
Reply 7
rainbow drops
Walking in the pouring rain is the worst. :no:

Tbh, aside from the above and it being uncomfortable lying on my side to read while I have them on, mine really really don't bother me. I wear mine all the time, go running with them on and I never even think about it... I don't notice them. I also think I'd look weird without them.

Cycling is even worse! I've had to stop cycling when it's raining as I think it could get quite dangerous...
Reply 8
Men wearing glasses are sexy :biggrin:

My bf takes them off in bed, and I always tell him to put them back on again :p:
ily_em
Cycling is even worse! I've had to stop cycling when it's raining as I think it could get quite dangerous...

*envisages little wipers on glasses like the ones on car headlights* :p:

The worst thing is when you've been outside in the cold, walk indoors and they steam up. Not a good look. :frown:
RJ555

And the social side of it too, the stigma. People see you have glasses and immediately assume you are intelligent, may be a benefit for some but when you are thick like me its just embarassing. Or the assumption that you must be reserved, an introvert, bookish, shy and retiring etc etc.

Anywhoos, just wanted to vent my frustration. Any sympathy from fellow "sufferers" appreciated. :p:

I like my glasses, personally, but my personality is exactly that: "reserved, an introvert, bookish, shy and retiring etc etc" (thanks), so the instant assumption people make of me is accurate enough for me to have happily adopted my glasses as a part of me.

I tend to forget that I'm wearing them, but more than that, forget that everyone else isn't wearing them too, and how they could be influencing the way other people 'see' me. Every now and again I'd like to know whether my life would be different if I went around sans glasses, like most other people, and whether (as I believe) looking somewhat less attractive with them off affects it too. I guess it must be like wearing a lot of make-up, and feeling like you're only on the same level as other people around you because of the make-up, and if they wore as much as you they'd be stunning instead of average.

Not sure where I'm going here. But I cling to the hope that there are people in the world with glasses fetishes. Sexy librarian, anyone?
girls wearing glasses are soooo fyne
Imo if someones sight is that bad (in that they can't see/distinguish between objects/surroundings without glasses) it should be classed as a slight disability.......

Alex
alexmason14
Imo if someones sight is that bad (in that they can't see/distinguish between objects/surroundings without glasses) it should be classed as a slight disability.......

Alex
It only becomes a disability, if their sight cannot be corrected with glasses.
Reply 15
I actually love wearing mine :p:

It gives me style and as you say it makes me look intelligent (lucky I am then :biggrin:).

Without my glasses I wouldn't have anything to set me apart from the other guys really :frown:
Reply 16
-WhySoSerious?
*envisages little wipers on glasses like the ones on car headlights* :p:

Haha that would be awesome..... might try and invent some one day :awesome:

P.S. Don't tell people on your profile to PM you if your inbox is full :p:
Ilora-Danon

I know..., what I'm saying is that just because glasses fixes their sight, it doesn't mean their standalone sight (without any aids) should be regarded as not being a slight disability....... what if they lose their glasses? like the OP said having sight that bad without glasses impacts many things you can and cannot do in life.

Alex
Reply 18
i hate the rain. i hate when its cold outside but warm inside and then the world steams up. i hate the assumptions people make, e.g. librarian, secretary, teacher, clever (well, i dont mind the clever bit so much!).

because ive wore them most of my life, i feel like i look so weird without them on... so i dont wear contacts. but in the same regard, i feel like wearing them almost makes me invisible to most people... people just dont notice you and don't see behind the glasses. so often, if im out with fellow-glasses-wearers people say "omg you look the same!!11!1331" when we really dont.

its a love/hate thing... love and hate the invisibility i feel when wearing them
Reply 19
Ilora-Danon

This is true. I can see (not enough to drive though:frown: ) and it is classed as a disability.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending