The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
First of all, I haven't taken A level law or a degree, so don't bother asking me. But according to things I have read and people I have spoken to, alot of universities do prefer you not to have the A level, as they like to teach all student from scratch.
Personally I found that friends who had done it had learnt a bit about problem question technique, and it seemed to help them. So did their previous knowledge of a bit if criminal law. However, it levelled out pretty soon. I think in the first year it can help, despite what people claim. If your clever and work hard, it does not matter though.
Lauren18
It's been ages since I've read a comment so outrageously false as this. It is a absolutely IMPOSSIBLE that one could cover Law A Level in the first fortnight of a degree. It is utterly ridiculous to suggest otherwise.

I, like Dreama and Onearmedbandit, have actually DONE the A level. You have not. Your above comment insults my intelligence, and I would expect a potential law student to construct far better arguments. I really feel like picking apart every one of your posts, but I just can't be bothered to bang my head against this 'Law A Level is Bad' brick wall anymore.

Note the presence of the word supposedly in my statement. I am going by what I have been told by Law students. You can go and try and pick apart every one of my posts if you really want to but I generally put a lot better thought into arguments that I am constructing for a general purpose. All I was doing in my previous post was stating that from all I had been told by Law professors and students that Law A-level was disadvantageous. I didn't say I thought Law A-level was bad anywhere in any of my posts, merely that from what I have been told it does not seem a well-respected subject. If you are going to insult my argument construction, you should possibly take a look at your own. You can slate me for what I have said, but you will note that I was expressing what I knew from hearsay and thus did not intend it to stand up in court. :rolleyes:

If you want you may by all means go through every post I have made in the Debate and Discussion forum and pick them apart but to presume that you can defeat every argument I have made is slightly arrogant of you. I am not really bothered, I can construct arguments perfectly well.

*EDIT* Some of the points made in this post may come across as rude again, if you feel I have slighted anybody's intelligence then I apologise profusely, I was simply repeating the words of others. I personally think people should do whatever A-levels they want to but in no way does that mean that Universities will take all subjects as being equal in merit. I am simply misunderstood
Reply 23
JohnStuartMill
Note the presence of the word supposedly in my statement. I am going by what I have been told by Law students. You can go and try and pick apart every one of my posts if you really want to but I generally put a lot better thought into arguments that I am constructing for a general purpose. All I was doing in my previous post was stating that from all I had been told by Law professors and students that Law A-level was disadvantageous. I didn't say I thought Law A-level was bad anywhere in any of my posts, merely that from what I have been told it does not seem a well-respected subject. If you are going to insult my argument construction, you should possibly take a look at your own. You can slate me for what I have said, but you will note that I was expressing what I knew from hearsay and thus did not intend it to stand up in court. :rolleyes:

If you want you may by all means go through every post I have made in the Debate and Discussion forum and pick them apart but to presume that you can defeat every argument I have made is slightly arrogant of you. I am not really bothered, I can construct arguments perfectly well.

*EDIT* Some of the points made in this post may come across as rude again, if you feel I have slighted anybody's intelligence then I apologise profusely, I was simply repeating the words of others. I personally think people should do whatever A-levels they want to but in no way does that mean that Universities will take all subjects as being equal in merit. I am simply misunderstood

Hehe merci beaucoup for the amusement :p:
Lauren18
Hehe merci beaucoup for the amusement :p:

:confused:
Reply 25
JohnStuartMill
:confused:

:wink:
Reply 26
*glances at Lauren* :smile:
Lauren18
:wink:

So may I ask what exactly amused you?
Reply 28
JohnStuartMill
So may I ask what exactly amused you?

Yes of course.
Lauren18
Yes of course.

So what was it? :smile:
Reply 30
JohnStuartMill
So what was it? :smile:

Just your post in general. Reminded me of myself back in the old super-argumentative days.

I wasn't having a go at you personally, it just completely infuriates me when people - who usually haven't taken Law A Level - spread further the notion that it is a 'mickey mouse' subject. Whether it was your personal opinion or not doesn't matter to me, it's just freakishly annoying to see an A level you have worked amazingly hard for being constantly belittled.

People on here should be able to tell that those of us who have actually studied Law at A Level - particularly Onearmedbandit, Dreama and me - are quite intelligent people with opinions worth listening to. Sometimes it just seems as if defending Law A Level is like banging your head against a brick wall!

What confuses me most about this topic is that people often say things like 'I'm not personally slagging off the A level, I'm just going on what admissions tutors have said'. Now, I've got a number of problems with this:

1. Most students haven't spoken to admissions tutors about Law A Level
2. Most people who claim to have spoken to admissions tutors probably haven't, and are just repeating a previous claim made by someone else
3. Admissons tutors for Law at quality universities are some of the best people in the COUNTRY at constructing and deconstructing arguments, seeing flaws, spotting assumptions. I just find it hard to believe the claim that such well-qualified and experienced people dislike Law A Level 'because it's easy', or 'because we prefer to teach you from scratch', or 'because students think they know it all already'.

I have never read or heard a strong reason why Law A Level *should* be as disliked as it evidently is.

Oh well, nothing much I can do to change things.
Lauren18
Just your post in general. Reminded me of myself back in the old super-argumentative days.

I am a debater, what do you expect? :biggrin:

Lauren18
People on here should be able to tell that those of us who have actually studied Law at A Level - particularly Onearmedbandit, Dreama and me - are quite intelligent people with opinions worth listening to. Sometimes it just seems as if defending Law A Level is like banging your head against a brick wall!

Indeed. Intelligent people often take subjects that are considered "Mickey Mouse" subjects. A good friend of mine who is very intelligent and attained straight As and A*s at GCSE is taking Media Studies and Theatre Studies. While it is lamentable, the presence of strong candidates in these courses does not actually change opinions about them.

Lauren18
1. Most students haven't spoken to admissions tutors about Law A Level
2. Most people who claim to have spoken to admissions tutors probably haven't, and are just repeating a previous claim made by someone else

I assure you that I have spoken to admissions officers, lecturers and students. I went to a Law Conference at Cambridge University about a year and a half ago and spoke with the admissions officers and lecturers and spoke to a student at Cambridge and another at Nottingham only last month. The questions were not mine, but those who I was with and I was present to hear the answer.

The only justifications for it that I have heard them give that I can think of off the top of my head are that they prefer to teach you from scratch, they think if you are intending to be a lawyer and spend the rest of your life in the law it is better to study something else for A-level to get a taste of other things and the final, which came from students was that Law professors do not like to be questioned on the basis of what someone was told by their A-level Law teacher.
Reply 32
For those who have done/doing A level law

you MAY be at a disadvantage to some Universities- but just call them up and ask them.
Even better- prepare a case for why law should be considered an academic a level and it's relevance in applying for law. This will show your argumentative skills and impress the admissions tutors. It will also show that you are passionate about studying law and at that University in particular.

When I applied to Manchester, I sent away a case on why music should be considered an academic a level- I included teacher references, quotes from books on learning, my experinece of the a level and a syllabus. They let me in....that's all I am saying.

Good luck with your application. In my opinion it really is a University specific whether or not they accept it.

Patrick.
Reply 33
themesong
For those who have done/doing A level law

you MAY be at a disadvantage to some Universities- but just call them up and ask them.
Even better- prepare a case for why law should be considered an academic a level and it's relevance in applying for law. This will show your argumentative skills and impress the admissions tutors. It will also show that you are passionate about studying law and at that University in particular.

When I applied to Manchester, I sent away a case on why music should be considered an academic a level- I included teacher references, quotes from books on learning, my experinece of the a level and a syllabus. They let me in....that's all I am saying.

Good luck with your application. In my opinion it really is a University specific whether or not they accept it.

Patrick.

Totally agree with you. I know myself and other people on here have used the fact that we have taken Law A Level as a point of a debate which has generally worked to our advantage in our UCAS applications.

If I was an admissions tutor, I would be really impressed by someone who would take on this contentious topic in their personal statement and use the opportunity to show off those critical thinking skills!

Overall, I can't deny that some universities blatantly consider Law a lesser A Level than it deserves to be; but I would honestly advise any student choosing AS/A Levels to take the criticism of Law with a big pinch of salt. In reality, you will almost certainly find in taking the course that this criticism is largely unfounded; and could therefore make this a useful and advantageous tool in your university application.

Oh, and JohnStuart whatever your name is, you completely missed the point I was trying to make about Law. I wasn't saying Law A Level should not be considered a 'mickey mouse' subject because intelligent people take the course.
Lauren18

those of us who have actually studied Law at A Level - particularly Onearmedbandit - are quite intelligent people with opinions worth listening to.

:biggrin:

Now, if only I'd written my post as Lauren has... so articulate :smile:
Reply 35
Onearmedbandit
:biggrin:

Now, if only I'd written my post as Lauren has... so articulate :smile:

Hehe you should have changed 'quite' to 'extremely' :p:
Lauren18
Totally agree with you. I know myself and other people on here have used the fact that we have taken Law A Level as a point of a debate which has generally worked to our advantage in our UCAS applications.

If I was an admissions tutor, I would be really impressed by someone who would take on this contentious topic in their personal statement and use the opportunity to show off those critical thinking skills!

Overall, I can't deny that some universities blatantly consider Law a lesser A Level than it deserves to be; but I would honestly advise any student choosing AS/A Levels to take the criticism of Law with a big pinch of salt. In reality, you will almost certainly find in taking the course that this criticism is largely unfounded; and could therefore make this a useful and advantageous tool in your university application.

Oh, and JohnStuart whatever your name is, you completely missed the point I was trying to make about Law. I wasn't saying Law A Level should not be considered a 'mickey mouse' subject because intelligent people take the course.

I don't think there's enough room on a personal statement to make a case about why your supposedly mickey-mouse subjects are relevant to law A-level. I think themesong sent off a separate document arguing his case...

...unfortuantely I not only took an arty subject, but an arty technology subject. I was asked about music technology in my 2nd Oxford interview. I explained the course and how it could relate to a law degree pretty well, but the tutor sort of snorted and said "well Mozart didn't need a computer to write music..."

There was so much wrong with what he said I didn't know where to begin (though obviously it's true that Mozart didn't need a computer to compose). Anyway... he was probably just testing me 'cos I don't think someone that clever could mean this.

Anyway I think that's straying slightly off-topic...
Reply 37
Onearmedbandit
I don't think there's enough room on a personal statement to make a case about why your supposedly mickey-mouse subjects are relevant to law A-level.

I think you misunderstood - I meant making a case about Law A Level itself in your personal statement.

And yes there is enough space - I did it, and I think Dreama did too - I'm pretty sure she mentioned it in a recent post.
Lauren18

John Stuart Mill, never heard of him?

I didn't say you were saying that, that was me making a point that this won't change the courses respectability. Intelligent people do often take "Mickey Mouse" subjects, it does not make them any less intelligent and you have to work just as hard for those subjects as you do for others, as the friend I have mentioned repeatedly points out to me when discussing theatre studies.
Reply 39
JohnStuartMill
John Stuart Mill, never heard of him?

I didn't say you were saying that, that was me making a point that this won't change the courses respectability. Intelligent people do often take "Mickey Mouse" subjects, it does not make them any less intelligent and you have to work just as hard for those subjects as you do for others, as the friend I have mentioned repeatedly points out to me when discussing theatre studies.

Yes I do of course understand this, but, as I said, this is not connected to the point I was trying to make. I was simply saying that as relatively intelligent people clearly do take Law A Level, perhaps their informed opinions are more valuable to the prospective A Level student than those of people usually just spreading hearsay.

Latest

Trending

Trending