The Student Room Group

Unsure about courses

I would really like to work in an international organisation, or at least do something business-orientated. I'm already fluent in Chinese, and I definitely want to do French at Uni. I'm just not sure what kind of degree to study.

I really love languages. I quite like Spanish, and I've already picked up a bit from a month in Bolivia. As a result, I'm more encouraged to study French and Spanish as a joint degree. However, I'm really interested in Philosophy too, so French and Philosophy is one of my other choices.

What advantages do each course have over the other? What kind of skills does one demonstrate more of than the other, if any? I may combine all three subjects as part of a Combined Arts, however this isn't possible at every uni I'm applying to.
Any advice would be very much appreciated. :smile:
Either degree will lead to great career prospects, and being fluent in Chinese will definitely help you loads in terms of working in international business, so I'd choose based on what you prefer. If you love languages and feel you would really enjoy studying 2 at uni, great; if you're unsure and would like a bit of variety, go for philosophy. Combined Arts would obviously be the best solution though, so let's hope you get in somewhere that offers that :smile:
Reply 2
You can always take the languages as the main part of the degree and take phil as the elective. Than if you decide that the two languages are not for you then you can convert to phil as the main part of your degree.
Reply 3
I'd say (and sorry about the cliché-ness of this), go with what you heart tells you. Whereas there would be considerable advantages in taking Spanish, what with it being one of the most spoken languages in the world, I believe that since you are already fluent in Chinese you'll undoubtedly reap such benefits, regardless of your final choice. In fact, I'd say go with French and Philosophy; I think it would broaden your mind, and would probably make you just as employable as if you had taken French and Spanish, because not only will you have mastered another language, but you will also have another different asset to boast of. As kellywood_5 once told me, breadth is equally important to employers as depth is. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 4
But wait you might be lucky enough to go a uni which offers courses in, for example, French or Spanish philosophy (I'm thinking of Cambridge MML in particular, but I'm sure there's other places). You're clearly very bright, so if you did do French and Philosophy, I'm sure you'd be able to pick up Spanish yourself at some point just go and live there for a while!

Latest

Trending

Trending