The Student Room Group

Illustration portfolio for uni

Hi I was wondering if i can get some help!
After I have taken a gap year I have decied I would like to apply to uni for 2024.
Now my problem is I want to go onto an illustration course, but eventhough I've looked at the specifications of what they want I still am unsure as to what work of mine is good, and the more I look at my portfolio the more I think I'm not good enough.

I struggle to look at unfinished pieces (one of the reqiirements) and think it's good. I also am unsure what's best to use for the portfolio itself. Its digital and atm its only on a Google slide so I can reorder bits more easily. However when I send it off it can't be on that, so what other software should I use.

Lastly as I mentioned I am taking a gap year before applying, how would I go about getting a reference???

Was this a problem for anyone else??
(edited 7 months ago)
Firstly, very few people are happy with their own portfolio. Imposter syndrome is understandable and common, but if you've put the time in to your drawing over the years you've got nothing to worry about. You will find a course that you can thrive in!

If possible, attend Open Days of the places you'd like to apply to. Then ask what they want to see in a portfolio, and how to present it.

Most courses will be fine with Google Slides, but some may ask to see a physical portfolio if you're invited in to an interview.

You can get a reference from teachers at your last place of education. Just email them in advance to ask if it's ok.
Reply 2
Original post by insidedesigner
Firstly, very few people are happy with their own portfolio. Imposter syndrome is understandable and common, but if you've put the time in to your drawing over the years you've got nothing to worry about. You will find a course that you can thrive in!

If possible, attend Open Days of the places you'd like to apply to. Then ask what they want to see in a portfolio, and how to present it.

Most courses will be fine with Google Slides, but some may ask to see a physical portfolio if you're invited in to an interview.

You can get a reference from teachers at your last place of education. Just email them in advance to ask if it's ok.

Thank you for your help it is very much appreciated😊🥰

Quick Reply

Latest