The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I started just about middle of March-ish. And I study everyday and when I'm not studying or I'm away out I listen to the recordings. And yeah it hit me last Thursday how important these exams are.
Reply 2
When did you start revising for the May highers?

I haven't really properly

How much revision are you doing each day at the moment seeing as it is summer holidays?

I think I'm gonna start today, aim for a few hours

Has it hit you yet how important these exams are?

Yep
After I found out my prelim results, I decided it was time to get the finger out and work. I'd hate myself if I had to resit as all my hard work throughout the year would be going to hell.
I got more than a finger out, I got my head out my ass and woke up to the importance of these exams...

Over the Easter holidays, I am revising from 9AM till 1AM. Obviously with 10 minute breaks inbetween.

Before Easter, I was revising all lunchtimes, and all the time at home.

I'm a sad, but soon to be successful, boy.
innerhollow
Haven't started yet. Will probably start in the next few days so that I don't need to do as much last-minute revision.

Easter holidays you mean? Well, none at the moment, but then I'll probably start doing 1-2 hours a day soon.

I knew from the start they were important, but I'm fairly confident about them, so. They're not really of too much concern.

Jesus.
I haven't started yet, but I've only got 2 exams and they're not until June so I'll start revising in May, probably. I'm not worried this year.
innerhollow
... Care to elaborate? :confused:

Are you aiming for 5 A's?

If so, how the hell can you afford to work in such a minimal manner.

Last year, I started during Easter. This year - I haven't started yet, but then I didn't bomb my prelims like last year.

How much revision are you doing each day at the moment seeing as it is Easter holidays?

I'm doing homework, then revision, so about 2 1/2 hours.

No.
innerhollow
I'm aiming of 5 A-1s, as if you get straight A band-1s, the school mentions it on your reference, which makes you stand out.

Talking to others about academic stuff usually ends in me being very hated, but since you asked... I just don't find my Highers difficult. I can get A-1s in most of my subjects with little difficulty, so I spend my time on other things rather than revising.

Nice, i'm aiming for 3 A-1s and 2 A-2s, but I already have a conditional offer for my favourite choice, so I don't want to mess it up.

And regarding them putting it on the reference, won't be much use to me because i've already applied, i'm just trying to get the best I can for my own satisfaction.
innerhollow
I'm aiming of 5 A-1s, as if you get straight A band-1s, the school mentions it on your reference, which makes you stand out.

Talking to others about academic stuff usually ends in me being very hated, but since you asked... I just don't find my Highers difficult. I can get A-1s in most of my subjects with little difficulty, so I spend my time on other things rather than revising.

ALso,

One last thing...

LOL @ YOU BEING 16 AND STILL CHOOSING A-LEVEL SUBJECTS... GOOD LUCK GETTING 5 A BAND 1S IN THE SCOTTISH EDUCATION SYSTEM.
innerhollow
Having people look through my profile boosts my ego

... But I don't understand your post. I'm not choosing A-level subjects. I'm choosing Advanced Highers next year. :confused:

There's about 4/5 people in my year who are going to get straight A-band 1s. And I did get 4 A-band 1s in prelims. Shouldn't be too hard to get the 5th (if only it wasn't in English)

No, you're choosing A-levels, hence you posted in the A-level sections.

EDIT: I have a conditional offer, I can even prove it to you, I have 4 of them. In the Scottish system it is very normal for people to go after highers, without doing advanced highers, and so you can get conditionals for your highers. A quick look at scottish unis will show you the entry requirements do not specify advanced highers

Care to explain this thread title you made? What A-levels should I take for Engineering?

I'd figure someone of your 'academic calibre' would be able to differentiate between A-levels and Advanced Highers.
innerhollow
That was just to try and get more replies because the "A-levels section" is busier than the "Scottish Qualifications" section. Why would I choose A-levels?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24518984#post24518984

See?

Straight A band 1s, without even starting to revise yet, and you can't do this question?:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=22948392#post22948392

Seems a bit incongruous, considering your aforementioned high academic calibre.

Also, how did you not know universities give out offers to higher candidates? You may be smart, but you really do lack any awareness skills.

"Well I looked it up on wikipedia, so it must be 25 feet, right?"

Ha, such a genius; using wikipedia to do simple maths questions.
innerhollow
That was just to try and get more replies because the "A-levels section" is busier than the "Scottish Qualifications" section. Why would I choose A-levels?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24518984#post24518984

See?

... You're confusing me. Stop contradicting yourself. I know plenty of people who got conditional offers without Advanced Highers, many of my friends are in that boat, but according to what you're posted here, you haven't even done your Highers yet! You just told me what grades you're aiming for in your Highers. That would mean the highest level of education you have COMPLETED would be standard grade/intermediate 2, which is not enough for an offer. For you to have a conditional offer, surely you must have completed your HIGHERS . Clarify this please.

Yes I ******* do have offers. I have straight 1's at SG, and they have given me a CONDITONAL OFFER FOR HIGHER. That's what CONDITIONAL OFFERS ARE, OFFERS DEPENDANT UPON WHAT GRADES YOU GET!

NO WAY IN HELL ARE YOU GETTING STRAIGHT A BAND 1S, YOU SEEM RETARDED.
garlicbreadman

How much revision are you doing each day at the moment seeing as it is summer holidays?

This is just a general thread for discussing highers in general for 2010

Last year I only did english in the easter hols because that was the only one that i didn't get study leave for. I was lucky and had a week between all my exams, i just revised then.
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
Last year I only did english in the easter hols because that was the only one that i didn't get study leave for. I was lucky and had a week between all my exams, i just revised then.

I have that too haha, I think it will actually make a different to the grade I get.

I know some people with exams one day after the other, only for 2 though.
SausageTroll
I have that too haha, I think it will actually make a different to the grade I get.

I know some people with exams one day after the other, only for 2 though.

I remember Physics was the day before geography, i worked for physics and did 4 hours for geography, hence the lowly 82%...A band 2, disgusting isn't it?
TooSexyForMyStethoscope
I remember Physics was the day before geography, i worked for physics and did 4 hours for geography, hence the lowly 82%...A band 2, disgusting isn't it?

Well, to be fair, for Geography that is rather disgusting haha, Geography is mostly common sense except for the formation and case study examples which you have to memorise.

I'm sure you get very good other grades though right?
innerhollow

Conditional = they can reject you if you don't get the grades they said you need to get.
Unconditional = they have the highers and grades they need to get in.

There you go.
Anon Person
:h:

It means you're drinking too much tea. :yes:

Yes, that is why people who are doing Advanced Highers have unconditionals, because they've satifised the entry requirements with their Highers.

Example: Fred is in S5 and has applied to Glasgow University for Engineering even though he hasn't sat his Higher exams yet. He is sitting five Highers.

A few months after sending in his UCAS application he recieves a Conditional on UCAS Track which says he has to get AABB in his Highers this year, if he get these results, he can go to university after fifth year.

Example: Glinda is in S6 and has applied to Glasgow University for Engineering. She sat her Highers last year and got AAAAC.

A few months after sending in her UCAS application she recieves an Unconditional on UCAS Track because she already has the qualifications needed for the course.

Is that more understandable now? :smile:

Wow, you wrote all that. Haha, I think my way was just as clear and effective.

Latest

Trending

Trending