The Student Room Group

Does education hinder creativity?

This time last year I was begenning to feel that university was effecting my creativity as my ideas seemed less raw and I was doing everything by the book. This meant that I had ran out of new ideas and everything I was doing was pretty much the same.

Now I am in my second year and my creativity has increased a lot again because we have been taught how do to things the proper way and also new ways of doing things. This means that any idea I have I can do apply.

Therefore I don't think eduucation does hinder creativity I think it is just an excuse used by none graduates. Although it has to be said a lot of well respected people have said that educationd does mar creativity.

Any thoughts?
Reply 1
Well it is often said that Leonardo da Vinci ( the greatest genius of all time) was so good precisely because he looked at problems in a new way, instead of through the framework of conventional thinking. He claimed to have learnt most of his ideas of from nature (e.g. spinning leaf thingy - helicopter etc).

It makes you wonder sometimes why we bother with education! I suppose it's to help those of us who need a little more help than Leonardo. And it humanities subjects you kind of have to know all the conventional arguments on a topic otherwise you'l probably just spew bullshit. But in science, certainly, I think there is a case for more "natural learning".
Reply 2
Depends on so many things, but a formal education can hinder creativity.

Certainly at secondary school, at alevel its a little better, I can talk to other students and teachers, bit more freedom. Its said you always remember a good teacher, from secondary school its as true that I remember the bad ones.

Like what Wilde said, nothing that is worth learning can be taught. I suppose that supports what other chap said about Da Vinci. College (and hopefully uni too) gives you the time and resources to learn stuff for yourself.
Reply 3
Man is born ignorant...Education makes him stupid! - Bertrand Russell
Reply 4
It does seem to hinder creativity a little, but it depends a lot on the teacher too. If the lesson is taught in a manner of being down the line, then creativity will ultimately suffer. However, if it is encouraged by any measure, then the boundaries are virtually limitless.
I didn't really read much of the posts so appologies if I'm talking about something different or am mentioning something someone else has.

Yes it does. When you are younger you draw pictures, make things in technology and read a lot of imaginative books. When you get to university unless you take a subject such as english or art, your creativity goes espescially if you do a subject such as maths, IT, economics or science because you are taught to think logically or in a way which isn't 'arty'. How many fashionable/arty mathematicians do you see?
I don't think it's education as much as age/maturity...part of being a groan up is putting aside play/creativity/imagination and the things that make childhood special and dealing with the real world of the mundane :frown:
Reply 7
happysunshine
I didn't really read much of the posts so appologies if I'm talking about something different or am mentioning something someone else has.

Yes it does. When you are younger you draw pictures, make things in technology and read a lot of imaginative books. When you get to university unless you take a subject such as english or art, your creativity goes espescially if you do a subject such as maths, IT, economics or science because you are taught to think logically or in a way which isn't 'arty'. How many fashionable/arty mathematicians do you see?

Two of our modules are taught in a formal art school for this reason and I think that is the only reason my creativity hasn't suffered. They teach you not to let the computer design what you want you tell the computer exactly want you want. This requires a lot of knowledge in graphics packages etc but its certainly worth it.
Reply 8
happysunshine

You can still be creative in these kinds of subjects, but just in a different way. An example used earlier is ideal - da Vinci taught himself and so thought "outside the box" and discovered many new ideas.
amazingtrade
Two of our modules are taught in a formal art school for this reason and I think that is the only reason my creativity hasn't suffered. They teach you not to let the computer design what you want you tell the computer exactly want you want. This requires a lot of knowledge in graphics packages etc but its certainly worth it.

Glad it isn't effecting you. It's always good to paint a picture, read a book or dress a bit different.

Latest

Trending

Trending