The Student Room Group

Mentioning Sci-Fi as an inspiration in your Personal Statement?

Next year I apply for uni in the physics/engineering type courses (I haven't fully decided but I'm leaning towards an MPhys) and I was just wondering whether mentioning how Sci-Fi has helped develop my interest in science and tech would be a good idea or not.

By this, I don't mean saying that sci-fi is so cool and that I expect the course to be like that. I more mean how in the same way Richard Goddard was inspired to invent the rocket due to HG Wells, or how Star Treks communicators helped inspire mobile phones, or 2001: A Space Oddessy inspired many scientists with their areas of research, and how Szilard was inspired by HG Wells in terms of nuclear power, that I also want to make certain prospects from Science Fiction real/help advance science and tech forward because of that media having gotten me into science and that the course I'm applying to being the way I can learn in order to begin to do that. I can't think of a good way of wording what exactly I mean right now.

I don't know whether it would help or hinder my application.

Note: I am also interested in real science and current theories, sci-fi is just a personal thing I am into which has developed my interest in real science. My A-Levels are maths, further maths, physics, and history.
(edited 5 months ago)
Don't think this is really relevant for a science degree. You're not applying to a creative writing course, and speculative fiction has nothing really in common with science other than terminology borrowed from it - it doesn't utilise the scientific method in any way, for example, nor does it develop empirical, mathematical models of natural phenomena. Although its certainly a common area of interest among such students this is really not something to write about in your PS.

Not everything you do or enjoy needs to be linked in your PS.

While some notable discoveries have either been inspired by or correlated with appearances in sci fi, this still doesn't mean it's of any relevance for you as an undergrad to be...liking sci fi does not tell the admissions tutors anything about your aptitude for the course not your actual interest in the course itself (if anything it may give the impression you are more interested in grand ideas of what could be than the actual stuff of real science - which is often quite mundane, granular, and incremental by contrast).
(edited 5 months ago)
Caveat: I’m bias as I enjoy SF a lot.

I think you could do this, (it’s reasonably unique, it’s not any worse than someone starting their statement with any other motivation), but as above it’s not anything that’s going to score you any points. For that reason I’d spend the minimum amount of characters on it and then get straight onto what you have done because of it.
Original post by username6466026
Next year I apply for uni in the physics/engineering type courses (I haven't fully decided but I'm leaning towards an MPhys) and I was just wondering whether mentioning how Sci-Fi has helped develop my interest in science and tech would be a good idea or not.

By this, I don't mean saying that sci-fi is so cool and that I expect the course to be like that. I more mean how in the same way Richard Goddard was inspired to invent the rocket due to HG Wells, or how Star Treks communicators helped inspire mobile phones, or 2001: A Space Oddessy inspired many scientists with their areas of research, and how Szilard was inspired by HG Wells in terms of nuclear power, that I also want to make certain prospects from Science Fiction real/help advance science and tech forward because of that media having gotten me into science and that the course I'm applying to being the way I can learn in order to begin to do that. I can't think of a good way of wording what exactly I mean right now.

I don't know whether it would help or hinder my application.

Note: I am also interested in real science and current theories, sci-fi is just a personal thing I am into which has developed my interest in real science. My A-Levels are maths, further maths, physics, and history.

Hi there!

When I was writing my personal statement I got advice that originality and a unique point of view will set me apart and my application would be all the more interesting because I presented them with something new. Also, it is incredibly important to include your motivations and inspiration/interests in the statement as it will introduce you to your prospective lecturers easier.

I would also say that linking your interest to some sort of extra-curricular thing you've done is a nice touch, even if it's for example being in a science club or something like that.

Hope that helps and good luck!
Milena 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending