The Student Room Group

Political correctness gone abit lala

Here's just one example to set the ball rolling...

I haven't seen Noddy since I was really really young but I remember Noddy's best mate was called Big Ears... now someone told my best mate off for using a saying 'Call me Big Ears, I'm all ears' as in 'I'll listen if you want to talk', to which the person replied 'Thats not PC, he's called White Beard now'.

White Beard?!?!

Why is calling Big ears 'Big Ears' non-PC?

A spade is a spade, is a spade! Know what I mean? Call it what it is, love! ha

I don't ever remember Big ears turning around to Noddy and saying, 'Oi you little nasty peice of work with your silly little bell on your hat, don't you call me Big Ears, alright? Because you've hurt my feelings and I feel discriminated against, you horrible little munchkin!'

He has big ears! What else are you going to call them? And I think Big ears actually likes his name, he's always smiling.... hehe

Second example:

A couple getting married in a registry office (the whole point being that its a non-religious ceremony) were told they can't have Robbie Williams, 'Angels', played. Why?

Because 'Angels' is non-PC.

'What?!?!' I hear you gasp. Yeah, me too!

Robbie mentions the word 'heaven' and it may 'offend people of other religions'. There is some bureacratic big wig sitting on his arse all day thinking of ways to make life a pain somewhere. I can't beleive somebody's dream day has been spoilt because they couldn't have 'their' song payed on the most important day of their lives in a non-religious ceremony with the guests of their choice.

I'm astounded but I reckon you lot have even crazier examples lol.

Scroll to see replies

Damn all those non-PC people, with their Macs and stuff... wait, wrong acronym definition, nevermind.
As much as I despise political correctness in ALL its forms and wish it to be eradictated from British society immediately, I can't help thinking that your mate who told you about these examples was winding you up a bit, I think I've read them somewhere myself and they were a joke, but maybe I'm wrong
Reply 3
best get rid of god save the king/queen incase someones offended.

or on second thoughts...deport them to somewhere else.
Reply 4
In schools, its no longer black board or white board, rather chalk board or dry wipe board respectively.
Reply 5
I think PC was created for noble goals, but ultimately infringes on freedom of expression.

It's also silly examples like these which make people mock PC.
Reply 6
Apparently short people aren't 'short', they are 'vertically challenged'.
Reply 7
how about...its a black board...you are a fatty...most people celebrate christmas...and if you dont like it then pish aff!
Reply 8
I heard about the second Example. Stupid really.

PC has gone crazy.. I mean for example the whole its not a 'Blackboard' no its a 'Chalkboard' and your not allowed to 'Brainstorm' No its called 'Mindmapping' now.

Im all for making rquality in our society, But going to these extremes is ridiulous and just seems like the politicans have nothing better to do which scares me more than anything.
No one actually cares whether it's a blackboard or not!
What p***** me off is a bunch of beaurocrats deciding to ban the least offensive things in the world so that people can complain about 'pc gone mad'. As long as you don't mean to be offensive, you can get away with most things.

Oh, and I don't give a damn about christmas, I get a two week holiday and I can take time off for Eid.
Reply 10
oh god
I don't know, I like saying 'mind-mapping'.
Reply 12
Who would be offended by brain storm?
Reply 13
kizdesai

Personally I don't think anyone would.
people who have them?
:rolleyes:
No, it's meant to be offensive to epileptics (0,1% of the population or thereabouts, basically). If someone in a business-meeting called a brainstorm, they might take offense ( :confused: ) because they would think that they're being offended against by what happens in their brain when they have a fit...

...to paraphrase The Rasmus: "It's Madness". :mad:
Reply 16
kizdesai

Offence is often subjective. Having said that, I don't see what so offensive about "brain storm" personally.

I think the intent to offend is more important.
GengisKahn
:rolleyes:
No, it's meant to be offensive to epileptics (0,1% of the population or thereabouts, basically). If someone in a business-meeting called a brainstorm, they might take offense ( :confused: ) because they would think that they're being offended against by what happens in their brain when they have a fit...

...to paraphrase The Rasmus: "It's Madness". :mad:

Really? I knew it was something like that, I just thought there was a condition called that or summat.
Hehe yeah well the Big Ears thing is ridiculous, but it came up when the books were published in the US, and Americans are strange. Oops, that's not PC...!

The 'Angels' thing isn't about PC, its about keeping Civil Wedding ceremonies completely non-religious, which apparently is a law introduced in 1948. I agree that banning the song is stupid, but its nothing to do with PC gone mad. Just people following old laws a bit too strictly!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4162896.stm
Reply 19
MolsakaG
Apparently short people aren't 'short', they are 'vertically challenged'.

a spade is a spade lol,I'm short for God's sake (oh sorry may have offended someone, guess its not to PC, bothered?!) I'm not vertically challenged! Being labelled 'vertically challenged' offends me more, it incinuates that I've failed at being tall - or rathr in my quest to be tall i have a 'deferred success'! I'm short! That's what I am, I'm 5'3" therefore I am short as opposed to tall or average.

Latest

Trending

Trending