The Student Room Group

People who don't understand psychological illnesses/conditions

I told someone who I thought would understand (family member) about a condition I have and they shrugged it off and told me I'll grow out of it and they also doubted that I even have it (hmm, suddenly everyone's a Doctor when it comes to these things). I'm so annoyed, they don't understand at all. How do I respond diplomatically without getting angry?
I understand OP. I tried to tell and explain to my friends about my panic attacks and why a lot of the time I feel I can't go out, and now they just have completely ignored me and don't talk to me.,
Reply 2
DiamondsAreForever
I understand OP. I tried to tell and explain to my friends about my panic attacks and why a lot of the time I feel I can't go out, and now they just have completely ignored me and don't talk to me.,

It's ridiculous. I can't believe how closed minded people still are in this day and age :frown:
People are complete morons, if they can't see it it doesn't exist apparently. :rolleyes: Did you see that article in the daily mail recently? People with depression just need to "get a grip". I thought people had got past this kind of complete idiocy in modern Britain but apparently not.

Don't let it get to you, some people are morons, some aren't, just morons seem to be more vocal in my experience.
Ive had this to some extent, sometimes peoples behaviour isnt as black and white to explain. I think the main thing is to try and educate them about it, ask them to read up about it if you can. Most of the time its either they dont understand it or dont know how to help so dont really want to commit to anything or think about it.
Go and see your GP. Unfortunately it's not unusual for people to react like that, i guess sometimes they don't know enough about it so just shrug it of as it were. not that it makes it right, but yeah.. i'm sure they're not meaning to upset you.
Reply 6
print off the wiki article on the subject and hand it to them.

Latest

Trending

Trending