The Student Room Group

Global Economics F585 how confident are people with this exam?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Yeahdigg
i've got the Tutor2u toolkit which is 71 pages long...how gud is the APT one...

i tink we shud as a group write down da big 20 mark sample questions dat our revision packs have on da last extract and den go thru how we should approach them & answer them together...coz im presumin this will be where the big question is on the exam...

what y'all think..

I have both APT and Tutor2u.
I only got the tutor2u today and the APT i have had for a while. The APT is quite good in my opinion. I hope the Tutor2u is just as good.
Yeahdigg
if u have no toolkit ur SCREWED!!!!....

nah im playin lol...u can view a sample of one off dis website...zigzag education..economics ect...follow da links or i can send it to u if u give me ur email...
it has stuff in da way of some extracts across da screen but u can pretty much see most of it apart from one extract

I looked at a preview of the tutor 2 u one and I think ive for my hands on a better one, but thanks for the offer! :smile: £50 at tutor 2 u to buy!?
Reply 22
impossible!
I looked at a preview of the tutor 2 u one and I think ive for my hands on a better one, but thanks for the offer! :smile: £50 at tutor 2 u to buy!?

isnt the APT one only like 35 pages tho?
Reply 23
Mikehed
I am just a bit all over tbhe place since i have all my class work which is using the textbook and things and now we have the pre released information and it's just trying to find out all the main issues and linking them to what i have learnt, gonna need some highlighters i think..

What do people think the questions will be about? i have got a couple of practice papers from this private company called zig zag, but you seem to be using this toolkit thing, what is it?

do you have these on file that you cud share with us? or as i was sayin before i think as a group we shud right down the sample questions we have on the last extract and go thru how we wud approach and answer dem...tink it wud be beneficial for us all
Yeahdigg
isnt the APT one only like 35 pages tho?

No idea, havent looked at them enough to count pages lol, seems ok though. I have back ups that my teacher has made too so should be ok.
Reply 25
yeah ive got the tutor2u toolkit which is really useful , it even has questions at the end that are potential exam questions. How is the APT toolkit in comparision with the tutor2u you toolkit?
Reply 26
lovestruck91
yeah ive got the tutor2u toolkit which is really useful , it even has questions at the end that are potential exam questions. How is the APT toolkit in comparision with the tutor2u you toolkit?

I've got both, and the APT one seems a bit better.
Reply 27
lovestruck91

I have both as well and I think the APT is better. I have not read much of tutor2u but i like APT better.
Reply 28
Hi guys, some question regarding this module. Wondering whether you could give me some hints?
What did Alistair Darling hope to achieve by allowing the golden rule and the sustainable investment rule to be broken? I really can't think why.

What do you guys think of the possible negative effects of government borrowing and investment?

What effect might a depreciation have on AD?

How does an economic downturn put pressure on exchange rates?

THESE WERE FROM THE ZIGZAG pack!
Reply 29
And guys what would you say for the sustainablity question - what would you write about it?
Reply 30
Is anybody willing to email me the ATP toolkit please?
Reply 31
MCYan
Hi guys, some question regarding this module. Wondering whether you could give me some hints?
What did Alistair Darling hope to achieve by allowing the golden rule and the sustainable investment rule to be broken? I really can't think why.

What do you guys think of the possible negative effects of government borrowing and investment?

How does an economic downturn put pressure on exchange rates?

THESE WERE FROM THE ZIGZAG pack!

The main reason why the fiscal rules were broken is because of the recession. The monetary policy had lost it's ability to effect the state of the economy, due to the liquidity trap it was thought that a expansionary fiscal policy would have more impact in bringing the economy out of a recession. Therefore, the fiscal rules were broken in order to allow extra borrowing in order to help promote growth, through increased spending, not just on capitial projects but on current expeniture. There were also automatic stablisers working in the economy which would have meant there would be increased spending and less revenue to fund it, which would lead to a deficit which was not at the government's discretion. then obviously you would explain the negative effects of the fiscal rules being broken.

so basically i would answer that question by:

1- explaining why other policies have become ineffective eg liquidity trap
2- explain the benefits of the fiscal rules being broken... promotion of growth and stuff and how this would happen
2- how the deficit would have occured without the government playing a part
4 - the negative impact on the economy.

also when mentioning economic terms such as the ones above in bold they need to be explained a bit more then i have and obviously depending on the marks this would need to be in a bit more detail.

the negative effects of the fiscal rules being broken would be-
-oppertunity cost in repaying the interest rates
- unsustaintable deficits occuring, in countries such as spain and greece
- waste occuring in the economy
- the crowding out effect
etc.

start by defining a depreciation... keeping in mind a depreciation happens without governmental control.. its based purely on supply and demand for a currency.

when referring to AD we look at all the components
- consumption
domestic goods would now look more attractive because they look cheaper in comparision to international goods. Therefore, the demand for international goods would fall and the demand for domestic goods would be increased, causing a increase in consumption.
-government spending
not too sure about this one tbh... it may effect it because governments may spend more on UK goods rather then international stuff.. giving an injection into the economy?
-investment there would be an increase flow of fdi because people who exchange their currency will get more sterling (if we're reffering to the UK having a depreciation in the sterling) and this will cause an inflow of investment which would also act as an injection.
- exports would be more price competitive in the international market because they have a advantage of lower value.. for example UK goods are bought in sterling and with sterling being lower in value ireland can buy more UK goods with the euro and they will also be more attractive to them because UK goods look cheaper in comparision with their domestic goods which are priced in euros.
- imports will fall this is because consumers in the UK buy international goods from Europe in Euros and the Euro is stronger relative to the sterling therefore goods from europe will look expensive to UK comsumers which will cause the demand for imports to fall.
then you need a evaluation of what you just said...
but will this really happen.. because a deprication of the sterling may not be relative to the UK's trading partners... for example if the Euro and dollar depricates at the same rate then the sterling will not be internationally competitve to Europe and the US. Also with other countries that manipulate their currency the depciation may not have such a big impact as have first thought. then you could refer to the case of China who devalues their currency in order to make Chinese goods more price competitive.
another evaluative point is that all of the UK's main trading partners are facing a recession too which would also cause the impact of the deprication to be less then first thought.

^^^^^ this is PERSONALLY the way i would answer the questions, im not a teacher so i dont know if this is all right, i hope it is and that it's helpful... but please feel free to correct me if im wrong about any of the above (apart from my spelling LOL) and please do it in a nice way :smile: not a mean way lol :p:
Reply 32
i want the APT toolkit and the ziz-zag pack... somebody please email them to me!!!
lovestruck91
Yeah it is!! but that must mean that it's very very hard and not many people expect to do well.

I've got the OCR toolkit by the way. oh and i didnt just take a year out to resit economics i just thought i might aswell because i was re-taking other subjects too

Where did you get the OCR toolkit from?
Reply 34
sugarfairy02
Where did you get the OCR toolkit from?

well you can buy it on the OCR website but that costs £40 pound or something and it takes 2 weeks to come, i got it from my old college. do you have a toolkit?
i've got the toolkit thing written by some guy from Eton for the OCR exam
Reply 36
timreynolds
i've got the toolkit thing written by some guy from Eton for the OCR exam

Thats the tutor2u you toolkit which is the same one that ive got.
Reply 37
lovestruck91
The main reason why the fiscal rules were broken is because of the recession. The monetary policy had lost it's ability to effect the state of the economy, due to the liquidity trap it was thought that a expansionary fiscal policy would have more impact in bringing the economy out of a recession. Therefore, the fiscal rules were broken in order to allow extra borrowing in order to help promote growth, through increased spending, not just on capitial projects but on current expeniture. There were also automatic stablisers working in the economy which would have meant there would be increased spending and less revenue to fund it, which would lead to a deficit which was not at the government's discretion. then obviously you would explain the negative effects of the fiscal rules being broken.

so basically i would answer that question by:

1- explaining why other policies have become ineffective eg liquidity trap
2- explain the benefits of the fiscal rules being broken... promotion of growth and stuff and how this would happen
2- how the deficit would have occured without the government playing a part
4 - the negative impact on the economy.

also when mentioning economic terms such as the ones above in bold they need to be explained a bit more then i have and obviously depending on the marks this would need to be in a bit more detail.

the negative effects of the fiscal rules being broken would be-
-oppertunity cost in repaying the interest rates
- unsustaintable deficits occuring, in countries such as spain and greece
- waste occuring in the economy
- the crowding out effect
etc.

start by defining a depreciation... keeping in mind a depreciation happens without governmental control.. its based purely on supply and demand for a currency.

when referring to AD we look at all the components
- consumption
domestic goods would now look more attractive because they look cheaper in comparision to international goods. Therefore, the demand for international goods would fall and the demand for domestic goods would be increased, causing a increase in consumption.
-government spending
not too sure about this one tbh... it may effect it because governments may spend more on UK goods rather then international stuff.. giving an injection into the economy?
-investment there would be an increase flow of fdi because people who exchange their currency will get more sterling (if we're reffering to the UK having a depreciation in the sterling) and this will cause an inflow of investment which would also act as an injection.
- exports would be more price competitive in the international market because they have a advantage of lower value.. for example UK goods are bought in sterling and with sterling being lower in value ireland can buy more UK goods with the euro and they will also be more attractive to them because UK goods look cheaper in comparision with their domestic goods which are priced in euros.
- imports will fall this is because consumers in the UK buy international goods from Europe in Euros and the Euro is stronger relative to the sterling therefore goods from europe will look expensive to UK comsumers which will cause the demand for imports to fall.
then you need a evaluation of what you just said...
but will this really happen.. because a deprication of the sterling may not be relative to the UK's trading partners... for example if the Euro and dollar depricates at the same rate then the sterling will not be internationally competitve to Europe and the US. Also with other countries that manipulate their currency the depciation may not have such a big impact as have first thought. then you could refer to the case of China who devalues their currency in order to make Chinese goods more price competitive.
another evaluative point is that all of the UK's main trading partners are facing a recession too which would also cause the impact of the deprication to be less then first thought.

^^^^^ this is PERSONALLY the way i would answer the questions, im not a teacher so i dont know if this is all right, i hope it is and that it's helpful... but please feel free to correct me if im wrong about any of the above (apart from my spelling LOL) and please do it in a nice way :smile: not a mean way lol :p:

Thank you so much.
Reply 38
MCYan
Thank you so much.

Your welcome :smile: i just hope that everything ive said is right.. hopefully somebody else will comment on it and say whether ive made any mistakes! but for the most part im sure its okayy
Reply 39
If someone could send me the Zigzag toolkit please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending