The Student Room Group

vet med personal statement

Hey im starting my personal statement and im applying to vet med in glasgow and edinburgh and a couple of biology course i fink anyways i have a few questions and any answers would be muchly appreciated.
How do i start it? lol and frm a vet med point of view how detailed do i need to be about work experience? (like rough time scales or exact dates?) Should i put stuff in like doing my baden powell award at girl guides being part of schools bands, choirs and drama goups? (which i am a member of) Should i put in that i voulnteered to help at a creche for a couple of years and that im doing peer support for science classes with lower years at school jst now? (think this shows an ability to work wiith the public?) Anything else people can think of? Or know of that should be put down for vet med? and soes putting all this stuff down for vet med affect my application to science courses like make it seem that im not interested? thank ya muchly ppls :cool:
Reply 1
wannabeavethelp
Hey im starting my personal statement and im applying to vet med in glasgow and edinburgh and a couple of biology course i fink anyways i have a few questions and any answers would be muchly appreciated.
How do i start it? lol and frm a vet med point of view how detailed do i need to be about work experience? (like rough time scales or exact dates?) Should i put stuff in like doing my baden powell award at girl guides being part of schools bands, choirs and drama goups? (which i am a member of) Should i put in that i voulnteered to help at a creche for a couple of years and that im doing peer support for science classes with lower years at school jst now? (think this shows an ability to work wiith the public?) Anything else people can think of? Or know of that should be put down for vet med? and soes putting all this stuff down for vet med affect my application to science courses like make it seem that im not interested? thank ya muchly ppls :cool:

Firstly don't even think about mentioning another course other than VetMed in your personal statement! VetMed is your main goal so it should be all that is mentioned. Mine was like that and I still got two offers from my back-ups which were chemistry.

With regards to work-experience, I wouldn't give exact dates just time scales. Although I have heard Edinburgh is quite fussy about this, some Ed Vets will advise you better here.

The start is often the most difficult. Its hard to avoid the classic 'ever since I was a child' but if its the truth, as it was in my case, I'd use it. I did and still got three offers so it can't be that bad. :p:

For layout I had three paragraphs - an introductory paragraph about why I wanted to do VetMed and skills I have that are suited to the profession etc.
Then a paragraph on work-experience, this was by far the largest. Remember to mention what you gained/learned from your work experience, don't just rattle off what you have done.
Then finally I had a paragraph about my Interests and achievements which is where you should put all the choir, drama etc.
There is a tight restriction on what you'll fit in so you might want to group together some of your extra-curricular activities.
Even though you’re not applying to Bristol I would have a look at this website. I found it very helpful when writing my personal statement
http://www.vetschool.bris.ac.uk/courses/bvscadstatement.html

Particular this list of points that they look for,

Interest in veterinary science
Knowledge of other careers in veterinary science
Interests outside veterinary science
School/college activities
Evidence of initiative
Non-academic achievements.

Any more questions just ask

Best of luck

Latest

Trending