The Student Room Group
Kolly91: Not at all.

I had a part-time job right up until about 2 weeks before moving to uni and all was well, and I had a part-time job during uni too.

You have nothing to worry about unless your earning a very large sum I think that might affect you, but if it's part-time and your a full-time dependent student i.e. relying on your parents etc...everything should be pretty cool.
:cool:
Reply 2
Blessed&HighlyFavoured
Kolly91: Not at all.

I had a part-time job right up until about 2 weeks before moving to uni and all was well, and I had a part-time job during uni too.

You have nothing to worry about unless your earning a very large sum I think that might affect you, but if it's part-time and your a full-time dependent student i.e. relying on your parents etc...everything should be pretty cool.
:cool:

I think you're not supposed to work more than 16 hours per week, if you do it may affect your finances, I THINK.
Reply 3
LawStuds
I think you're not supposed to work more than 16 hours per week, if you do it may affect your finances, I THINK.

No, that's just generally what unis tend to recommend so it doesn't interfere with your studies. You can work as many hours as you like (except international students whose visas restrict them to 20 hours a week).

Your own earnings from part time work while you're studying have no affect on your student finance no matter how many hours you work. They don't even ask about it on the forms (they only ask about unearned income; i.e. interest from savings for example).
Reply 4
LawStuds

nope its fine, people do xmas temping and work 20hrs per week and then go back to their normal hours.
Reply 5
I think it will depend on your earnings- when you fill in the application you have to enter your earnings. Although thinking about it, it will probably only affect the FOLLOWING year's finance, since they ask for the previous years info, hence you wouldn't have to enter it this year. Not 100%, best option if you're unsure is always to ring them, but generally if you fill in exactly what they ask you can't go wrong.

I would say if you're not earning a taxable amount then it won't affect next years either, but ofc you still have to tell them. That's just a guess though.
Reply 6
kpwxx
I think it will depend on your earnings- when you fill in the application you have to enter your earnings. Although thinking about it, it will probably only affect the FOLLOWING year's finance, since they ask for the previous years info, hence you wouldn't have to enter it this year. Not 100%, best option if you're unsure is always to ring them, but generally if you fill in exactly what they ask you can't go wrong.

I would say if you're not earning a taxable amount then it won't affect next years either, but ofc you still have to tell them. That's just a guess though.

They don't ask for your earnings on any of the student finance forms, even if you're an independent student. There isn't even a section for it. They only asked for unearned income (like interest from savings).
Reply 7
heidigirl
They don't ask for your earnings on any of the student finance forms, even if you're an independent student. There isn't even a section for it. They only asked for unearned income (like interest from savings).

Oh cool, that's good then for the OP :smile: My main thing was that it wouldn't affect this year anyway.
Reply 8
I am making my own website online sell goods. I will be working part time and just wondering if it will affect my student finance grant/loan?

Do i need to tell student finance i have a part time job?
It's a bit odd that they don't ask for the income of independent students. People in decent jobs get sent to do foundation degrees by their employers, so they already have a good wage coming in, yet they can get five and a half grand on top of that from SLC no problem. Being 25 myself I can choose to go out and earn whatever I like, and my parents could be millionaires, but I'll still receive a loan/grant of £5615 regardless.
There are some clowns on here!
You can earn as much as you want, £1200 a night servicing Rooney if you want, and it won't make any difference to your loans or grants. It is only unearned income that counts.
So I can keep my £500 per week full time Job and still get Full student finance as a part time student?
Original post by Law student2018
So I can keep my £500 per week full time Job and still get Full student finance as a part time student?

Please check the thread date before posting.

Latest