The Student Room Group

if i work my hours during term time, will it effect my maintenance loan?

I'm currently working 20 hours per work week part-time, but if I upped my hours to 30 hours per week during term time, would this have an effect on the amount of maintenance I receive during the next academic year?
Reply 1
Yes, it would have an effect. I would advise you to stick to the current work plan until you're done with your studies. Thank you
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I'm currently working 20 hours per work week part-time, but if I upped my hours to 30 hours per week during term time, would this have an effect on the amount of maintenance I receive during the next academic year?

As far as I'm aware, income from paid employment won't affect your maintenance loan.

But working 30 hours a week on top of your studies is very likely to have a detrimental effect on your academic achievement.

Hi there

Current Cardiff uni student here!

I also work during term time and it has never impacted my maintenance loan. That being said, working 30 hours will undoubtedly impact your quality of education and attendance so I really wouldn't advice you to work so much. Hopefully, an employer who is aware that you're enrolled at university should understand this.

I hope this helps:smile:

Jaz - Cardiff student rep
Reply 4
Original post by Coj
Yes, it would have an effect. I would advise you to stick to the current work plan until you're done with your studies. Thank you

Why will it affect the maintenance loan. It’s established on parental income or partners income, not on the students as far as I know. However trying to balance studying with 30 hours of emplois going to be hard work and would probably have a negative impact on OP’s attendance record.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there

Current Cardiff uni student here!

I also work during term time and it has never impacted my maintenance loan. That being said, working 30 hours will undoubtedly impact your quality of education and attendance so I really wouldn't advice you to work so much. Hopefully, an employer who is aware that you're enrolled at university should understand this.

I hope this helps:smile:

thanks for that, is it over 20 hours that u work? or less?

Maintenance loans are dependent on parental/partner income, not yours as a student (in most cases) because you aren't earning enough to make a full time living by yourself, especially as a student who is already working 30-40 hours a week of studying independently and in person. Even a 30 hour a week part time job shouldn't affect how much you get from maintenance loans!

I've worked various jobs at university and it has never affected how much loan I get.

That said, 30 hours is an awful lot; people before have already stated not to overwork yourself because those kinds of hours combined will inevitably cause a huge amount of mental strain come exams/coursework deadlines. Is your employer aware of your student status?

Hope this helps,
Dom
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Maintenance loans are dependent on parental/partner income, not yours as a student (in most cases) because you aren't earning enough to make a full time living by yourself, especially as a student who is already working 30-40 hours a week of studying independently and in person. Even a 30 hour a week part time job shouldn't affect how much you get from maintenance loans!

I've worked various jobs at university and it has never affected how much loan I get.

That said, 30 hours is an awful lot; people before have already stated not to overwork yourself because those kinds of hours combined will inevitably cause a huge amount of mental strain come exams/coursework deadlines. Is your employer aware of your student status?

Hope this helps,
Dom

Hi, thank you for confirming that. just out of curiosity, what's the most amount of hours that u worked yourself whilst at uni (term time)?

yes, many people have said that working more hours will affect my studies and i do think this is true, at the moment i think 20 is fine but if i feel like i can handle it i will think about taking more hours up, only because i want to be able to afford more things and save more for my future. and yes my employer does know that i am a student at uni :smile:
Reply 8
Hi, thank you for confirming that. just out of curiosity, what's the most amount of hours that u worked yourself whilst at uni (term time)?

yes, many people have said that working more hours will affect my studies and i do think this is true, at the moment i think 20 is fine but if i feel like i can handle it i will think about taking more hours up, only because i want to be able to afford more things and save more for my future. and yes my employer does know that i am a student at uni :smile:

If your hours are during the day you would have to make sure that you had the required attendance in lectures. Students can be kicked off courses even if they have passing grades in exams and coursework if attendance is poor.

Hi there,

As far as I know it doesn’t affect it unless you are a mature student or you have a certain situation where your student finance depends on your own income instead of your parents.

I hope this helps,
Ellen O’Brien
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Reply 10
Original post by University of Sunderland Student Ambassador
Hi there,

As far as I know it doesn’t affect it unless you are a mature student or you have a certain situation where your student finance depends on your own income instead of your parents.

I hope this helps,
Ellen O’Brien
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

thank you :smile:

Depends. If you're an independent student and/or over the age of 25, your maintenance loan will be assessed against your income, not your parent(s)'s. In this case your income may affect your entitlement. If you are not an independent student and are under the age of 25, then your income is not factored when determining your student finance entitlement.

Note that if you are studying full time, it is not going to be sustainable to work 30 hours a week in any event. Full-time study assumes spending 30-40 hours a week on your course - equivalent to a full time job. Working 30 hours a week on top of that means either your studies will suffer or your work will. You can't plan for that as a realistic plan because you will just burn out very quickly and potentially make things worse for your studies and job in the process.
Reply 12
Original post by artful_lounger
Depends. If you're an independent student and/or over the age of 25, your maintenance loan will be assessed against your income, not your parent(s)'s. In this case your income may affect your entitlement. If you are not an independent student and are under the age of 25, then your income is not factored when determining your student finance entitlement.

Note that if you are studying full time, it is not going to be sustainable to work 30 hours a week in any event. Full-time study assumes spending 30-40 hours a week on your course - equivalent to a full time job. Working 30 hours a week on top of that means either your studies will suffer or your work will. You can't plan for that as a realistic plan because you will just burn out very quickly and potentially make things worse for your studies and job in the process.

thank you for that, no I'm not an independent student and I'm under 25. what would u say the max amount of hours is actually manageable alongside full time study?
Original post by Bombb21
thank you for that, no I'm not an independent student and I'm under 25. what would u say the max amount of hours is actually manageable alongside full time study?

Honestly during term time, maybe 10-15 hours? I think 20 hours would be a real challenge (not least in just finding a schedule that your employer is happy with which doesn't clash with your timetabled activities for your course).

Out of term of course usually you can manage to work more (potentially even up to full time hours), although some unis may set more work between terms, and usually most unis have some exams or assessments due after the end of the winter/spring holidays.
thanks for that, is it over 20 hours that u work? or less?

Hi,

I have worked over 20 hours previously, but not consistently. I always cut down around exam/ essay season!

All the best,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending