The Student Room Group

How many hours can I work whilst claiming student finance?

So I failed second year and only have to retake 1 module this year and am not in much this year and thought I will be good to get a job as I’m a introvert and haven’t talked to anyone in the last 4 years. There’s a job which is 30 hours a week and I’m not sure whether I can apply for it as claiming student finance maintenance loan, so does anyone know the cap for how many you can work whilst claiming it? Thanks
It could effect next years student finance entitlement as your earnings will be used to calculate household income.
Do you need to claim student maintenance this year?
If you're a home fees student under the age of 25 (unless classed as independent which is unusual) it won't normally matter how many hours you work or how much you earn.

If you're an international student the limitation is from your student visa, not student finance England.

If you're a home fees student over the age of 25 (or an independent student under the age of 25) then your individual income will determine your entitlement for the higher means tested loan amounts but realistically unless you're locumming as a dentist while doing a second degree or something it's unlikely you'll earn enough working 30 hours a week to push you out of the lowest earnings band.

Note though in all cases your specific uni, department, course or supervisor may have their own restrictions.

Also note that realistically working more than 15 hours a week is most likely not conducive with full time study if you are intending to more than scrape a passing result.
Reply 3
Original post by BoomBoxBeitch
It could effect next years student finance entitlement as your earnings will be used to calculate household income.
Do you need to claim student maintenance this year?

Yeah probably, I’m pretty sure you are allowed a job and it won’t affect anything but I’m just wondering how much that is - like how many hours have people done before it being an issue
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
If you're a home fees student under the age of 25 (unless classed as independent which is unusual) it won't normally matter how many hours you work or how much you earn.

If you're an international student the limitation is from your student visa, not student finance England.

If you're a home fees student over the age of 25 (or an independent student under the age of 25) then your individual income will determine your entitlement for the higher means tested loan amounts but realistically unless you're locumming as a dentist while doing a second degree or something it's unlikely you'll earn enough working 30 hours a week to push you out of the lowest earnings band.

Note though in all cases your specific uni, department, course or supervisor may have their own restrictions.

Also note that realistically working more than 15 hours a week is most likely not conducive with full time study if you are intending to more than scrape a passing result.

Thanks for advice, home uk student, 22,
yeah most jobs are like 16 hours, but they was an interesting entry management position which Iiked but it was 30 hours a week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending