The Student Room Group

Loans/grants available to a nursing/midwifery student

Hi. I’m 22 currently starting an access to HE course. I’m looking to start a midwifery/nursing course at Uni next September (2024). I am currently working 12 hours per week and claim Universal Credit as I have 2 children. I have lived alone for 4 years with my children.

My question is What exactly will I be able to claim as I’m looking to quit my part time job when I go into uni full time due to placements etc. i know I can claim a NHS Learning support fund of up to £5,000, and a maintenance loan (that most students get). I read that the government give up to £2000 too for parental support loan. Could I expect to receive all 3 payments? If this is the case how does this affect universal credit.
Original post by Holxoxoxox
Hi. I’m 22 currently starting an access to HE course. I’m looking to start a midwifery/nursing course at Uni next September (2024). I am currently working 12 hours per week and claim Universal Credit as I have 2 children. I have lived alone for 4 years with my children.

My question is What exactly will I be able to claim as I’m looking to quit my part time job when I go into uni full time due to placements etc. i know I can claim a NHS Learning support fund of up to £5,000, and a maintenance loan (that most students get). I read that the government give up to £2000 too for parental support loan. Could I expect to receive all 3 payments? If this is the case how does this affect universal credit.

Have a look at this recent thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7391756
Reply 2
Original post by Holxoxoxox

Yes you can receive all three of those payments. I have applied to all too. Universal credit will want to know how much student loan you will get as well as any grants you apply for, although the NHS grant and parental support grant should not be counted as income. They will ask you to work out the amount of finance you get divided by the months you will be studying. Then take away £110 for books etc. ring them if you’re unsure but this is the advice they have given me. It’s also on the turn2us website. Good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending