The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Hyperbole08
Somebody on here has said that they got in with 640 I think - so t might have been 625 (I hope!). But from prevous years I don't think it would rise more then 25/30ish - although its unpredictable. Even Sheffield (which is suppose to be well known for wanting a high ukcat) didnt rise by much in the past two years.

I think this year you will see the biggest rise ever. Mainly due to the fact they have reduced the no. of questions for QR and increased the time as well.

MayElattar
What? Im sure its higher! because I know a girl who got rejected without interview with a UKCAT of 648? So i thought it was 650ish.

I'll try to double check with her if i can! :confused:

I agree with you. Surely a university that uses only the UKCAT to select candidates for interview will have a cut-off of higher than 625!!
I am going to ring them again tmrw and see what they say.
InItToWinItGetIt?
I think this year you will see the biggest rise ever. Mainly due to the fact they have reduced the no. of questions for QR and increased the time as well.

I agree with you. Surely a university that uses only the UKCAT to select candidates for interview will have a cut-off of higher than 625!!
I am going to ring them again tmrw and see what they say.

Yeah this year will almost certainly see a huge rise. Wouldn't be surprised if its 700. I am pretty sure it was nowhere as low as 625 last year. Ive heard too many complaints from the year above about how Newcastle was being ridiculous by having a high cut off. In fact so many people did get rejected for not reaching the cut off in my school last year. So im positive its higher.
Reply 82
how did AS go (or other exams if applying via grad entry)?

I'm a reapplicant, got my IB diploma this May. I got 39 points which I'm really happy with :smile:

PS coming along well?

I've almost finished as a lot of what I wrote last year still applies so I'm using that as it wasn't my PS that was the problem last year. I have 200 characters to cut out ^^

UKCAT proving to be a nightmare or a blessing?

Last year my UKCAT was a nightmare. This year.. I was over the moon with my result but we'll see whether it's a blessing or not when push comes to shove :smile:

Memories of work experience filling you with joy/enthusiasm/dread or are they inexistant/a bit blurry due to the ever increasing difficulty of obtaining a placement?

They're a bit blurry because I haven't done any since last year.. they mainly fill me with enthusiasm :smile: I'm starting voluntary work in my local hospital in a few weeks though... which I'm excited about :biggrin:
Reply 83
MayElattar
Yeah this year will almost certainly see a huge rise. Wouldn't be surprised if its 700. I am pretty sure it was nowhere as low as 625 last year. Ive heard too many complaints from the year above about how Newcastle was being ridiculous by having a high cut off. In fact so many people did get rejected for not reaching the cut off in my school last year. So im positive its higher.

It was 650 last year I think.
Reply 84
InItToWinItGetIt?
Does anyone know the precise cut-off Newcastle had last year? I rang them up today and the lady on the phone claimed it was 625?!! Surely it was higher??

It wasn't 625. I got rejected w/o interview with 635, in the feedback it said because I didn't meet the UKCAT cutoff.
xconfetti
It wasn't 625. I got rejected w/o interview with 635, in the feedback it said because I didn't meet the UKCAT cutoff.

Ah cool thanks for the info. I knew the lady on the phone was lying to me! :O I'll phone again today and see if I get someone else to answer my question. Thanks for the info.

Amazing UKCAT btw this year :eek:
Reply 86
InItToWinItGetIt?
Ah cool thanks for the info. I knew the lady on the phone was lying to me! :O I'll phone again today and see if I get someone else to answer my question. Thanks for the info.

Amazing UKCAT btw this year :eek:

No problem :smile: As I said on an earlier post, pretty sure it was 650. There was someone on my UKCAT course who got rejected with 649 :frown:

Thanks XD :smile:
xconfetti
No problem :smile: As I said on an earlier post, pretty sure it was 650. There was someone on my UKCAT course who got rejected with 649 :frown:

Thanks XD :smile:

Ouch! that is harsh!! The cut-off might have been higher than 650, because surely they would have interviewed someone who was only 1 mark off? :s-smilie: Pretty clear the cut-off was at least 650 last year then.
Is there ANY international student applying to newcastle/durham on tsr???????????
InItToWinItGetIt?
Ouch! that is harsh!! The cut-off might have been higher than 650, because surely they would have interviewed someone who was only 1 mark off? :s-smilie: Pretty clear the cut-off was at least 650 last year then.

Nope, you would be 1 or 2 marks off and they wouldnt interview you. its that harsh.
xconfetti
It was 650 last year I think.

Thank you for clarifying that :smile:
MayElattar
Nope, you would be 1 or 2 marks off and they wouldnt interview you. its that harsh.

:eek: that is harsh!
Reply 92
I highly doubt it will rise by more than 30 (from a cut off of 650).
Reply 93
newcastle interview the top 1000 UKCat applicants so i think its impossible to say what the cut off is. it's peer assessed...if you see what i mean.
i know there's loads of 'the happened to my friend who got this' chat...but at the open day this year they made it pretty clear.
Doctogan
I highly doubt it will rise by more than 30 (from a cut off of 650).

I reckon Newcastle's cut-off this year will be 680. That's my guestimate anyway.
CathyBee
newcastle interview the top 1000 UKCat applicants so i think its impossible to say what the cut off is. it's peer assessed...if you see what i mean.
i know there's loads of 'the happened to my friend who got this' chat...but at the open day this year they made it pretty clear.

Yeah I was at the open day too and thats what they said. Is it the top 25% or 50% UKCAT scores or something? I can't remember correctly but its something along those lines.
InItToWinItGetIt?
I reckon Newcastle's cut-off this year will be 680. That's my guestimate anyway.

Unless thousands of people with a UKCAT higher than 700 apply. because they know that they would get interviewed if you know what i mean.

:confused:

sorry about the pessimism:sad:
MayElattar
Unless thousands of people with a UKCAT higher than 700 apply. because they know that they would get interviewed if you know what i mean.

:confused:

sorry about the pessimism:sad:

Thanks for that! lol Nah there will be a good chunk who won't have a clue about cut-offs etc. Trust me there are people at my school who have NO idea some unis have cut-offs. And I'm not planning to tell them either!
InItToWinItGetIt?
Thanks for that! lol Nah there will be a good chunk who won't have a clue about cut-offs etc. Trust me there are people at my school who have NO idea some unis have cut-offs. And I'm not planning to tell them either!

Ahh yeah! fair point. Its probably because Im in Newcastle that it feels like EVERYONE knows. And hahahah you're nice :p: I'll try my best to keep my mouth shut:ninja:
MayElattar
Ahh yeah! fair point. Its probably because Im in Newcastle that it feels like EVERYONE knows. And hahahah you're nice :p: I'll try my best to keep my mouth shut:ninja:

Well if they ask I'll tell em but I'm not going to announce the ukcat usage at unis in assembly or something :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending