The Student Room Group

Is it possible to write TOO MUCH about your subject?

I was just wondering where uni's stand on extra curricular stuff etc. I'd say about three quarters of my PS is course related (including A Levels, what Ive done outside of school to do with it) and a quarter about random stuff.

I would have thought that unis would rather know about your love for the course than about irrelevant stuff, but I'm not entirely sure.

Anyone got any opinions?
Reply 1
yes they do, but dont repeat yourself or whitter on too much and they do also want to know about other things you do. I'd say 1/4 why you want to do the course 1/4 what you have done that is realted to that course 1/4 ANY extra curricular activies 1/4 everything else.
Different universities say different things, but the general consensus is an almost 50/50 divide between extra-curric (ALL- they want to see you're a well-rounded person who will contribute to university life and won't spend your entire time studying!) and course. That said, if you can relate extra-curric back to your course and how it'll help you at university then it's helpful; for example a part time job improves your time-management skills (e.g. I can have a life AND get essays in on time!).
Elusive Moose
Different universities say different things, but the general consensus is an almost 50/50 divide between extra-curric (ALL- they want to see you're a well-rounded person who will contribute to university life and won't spend your entire time studying!) and course. That said, if you can relate extra-curric back to your course and how it'll help you at university then it's helpful; for example a part time job improves your time-management skills (e.g. I can have a life AND get essays in on time!).

I agree - I'm about half course-related and half extra things. But I've tried to link everything together by talking about how the extra different things I've done have used skills that are relevant to my course.
Reply 4
At my school we were told to make it overwhelmingly academic: I reckon that's how it should be, so I've got 3/4 about what I've done in school, and why I want to do the course, etc. The other 1/4 is really very solid with extra-curricular: as far as I know, universities just want to see you're well-rounded without caring about just how many 10m swimming certificates you got when you were eight, so you don't want to write too much.
Mine was one short introductory paragraph about the subject, then loads of random stuff, some of which was related :smile: The other ones I read seemed a lot more subject-based though.

Latest

Trending

Trending