The Student Room Group

Student Support Number

Hey, im filling in my online regestration for university of birmingham. it is asking for my student support number and i dont know what it is, so neither do i no where to find it...

it has a little tick box along side the box which i tick when im paying 100% of my tuition fee using student loan, so im assumming it has something to do with my finance.

the following is the error message when i do not enter it...

" This consists of four letters (relating to your LA) followed by 8 numbers and concluded by one letter e.g. BRMM01234567A "

thanks, im begining to think u need a degree, just to apply to uni lol
Reply 1
Its the number you get when the shambles that is student finance give you when they arrange your finance.
Reply 2
thanks for the reply, i found a guide on the bham website which identified it on my letter for me.
i agree, student finance are pretty useless, lol
It was on a letter sent to you by them and you couldn't find it!
who's useless?
Reply 4
the number was under a barcode, not stated as such a number, and not highlighted as important at all.

and for an organisation to deny recieving a recorded delivery letter they signed for, i hold little hope for their competency...
Reply 5
do you still need to enter it if you're self funded?

QUOTE ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
REP GIVEN
Reply 6
c0nfus3d
do you still need to enter it if you're self funded?

QUOTE ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
REP GIVEN

If you haven't applied for any kind of support from Student Finance then I guess no. Student support number only exists on various letters sent to you by Student Finance

EDIT:
To quote Birmingham uni website:

"Your Student Support Number is the unique identification number given to you by the Student Loans Company, Student Finance England/Wales/Northern Ireland, and your Local Education Authority (LEA). It usually consists or four letters followed by eight numbers and another letter (e.g. BRMM01234567A) and is quoted on most documents sent to you from the organisations mentioned above."
Reply 7
lee_91
the number was under a barcode, not stated as such a number, and not highlighted as important at all.

and for an organisation to deny recieving a recorded delivery letter they signed for, i hold little hope for their competency...

thanks for your earlier post - I had the exact same problem today thinking wtf is the student support number, and found this thread when i searched for it on TSR - i should have guessed that student finance would be stupid enough to put such an important number hidden ambiguously under a barcode and not point out that you need it to register at university. i was so close to putting my customer reference number in instead, and i'm sure that would have caused a problem and reduced the likelihood of me getting my money on time - not that i'm holding out much hope of that happening anyway given student finance's reputation ... :rolleyes:
Reply 8
Wth I can't find it anywhere! I've looked on my declaration etc :frown:
Reply 9
mel0n
Wth I can't find it anywhere! I've looked on my declaration etc :frown:

If you have received a letter with payment schedule, then the support number is over there, above the barcode on the right side of the letter. If you haven't received it yet, you should login at the directgov with your customer reference number (same place where you had to login with your secret password sent to you by the letter). After the login, click on the 'viev correspondence' link located within the menu in the left. You should be able to view your 'Payment Schedule Letter' by clicking 'gif' link next to it. There, is an image copy of the Payment Schedule Letter and the student support number is above the barcode.

Hope this will be helpful. When I was registering at the uni, the Payment Schedule Letter hadn't arrived yet and I got my SSN from the image copy. By the way, it seems that from time to time, the system at the directgov is unable to process your request to view image copy of the correspondence and it gives you a message 'Unable to retrieve the document you requested.' Just try again after few hours or after a day or two, worked for me when I had problems with viewing the correspondence.
Reply 10
I just phoned student finance up about this and they told me that it was my CRN and that SSN was for Welsh students, but after reading this thread I think that the man I spoke to was probably wrong?! The last correspondence I received was notification of entitlement letter, does anyone know if I should get my payment schedule letter after this one?

Also could anyone tell me how many letters/numbers the SSN has as I found a number in a different place to where tjdracz described and am wondering if that might be my SSN?

Reply 11
vicki1712
I just phoned student finance up about this and they told me that it was my CRN and that SSN was for Welsh students, but after reading this thread I think that the man I spoke to was probably wrong?! The last correspondence I received was notification of entitlement letter, does anyone know if I should get my payment schedule letter after this one?

Also could anyone tell me how many letters/numbers the SSN has as I found a number in a different place to where tjdracz described and am wondering if that might be my SSN?

As far as I remember, the student support number is four letters followed by eight digits and then followed by yet another letter. Where did you find that one? CRN is something completely different and I am more than sure that SSN was only on my Payment Schedule Letter and it wasn't written anywhere on the previous correspondence.
Reply 12
The SSN will begin SFDU10 if you are starting this year.
Reply 13
Taiko
The SSN will begin SFDU10 if you are starting this year.

not necessarily, the letter at the beginning indicate area of applicant I think. I think that Birmingham residents will get BRMM or smoething similar and I'm from Poland and my letters were EURS
Reply 14
tjdracz
not necessarily, the letter at the beginning indicate area of applicant I think. I think that Birmingham residents will get BRMM or smoething similar and I'm from Poland and my letters were EURS

Ah. EU team applications get an EURS number, all others will be SFDU10. BRMM is a local authority code for Birmingham, who no longer take new applications.

Latest

Trending

Trending