The Student Room Group

The Manchester City Society II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by warwickorbristol
You won't win the title next year.

It's just one of those things. By and large, ignore strikers, we've signed players for a fair amount of money generally (Bar say Kolo Toure).

And Hughes panic bought Adebayor and Tevez, Ade because we needed an African star for our SA tour and Tevez because he was available. Imo neither was a signing with the long term in mind. If they had been better signings, they could have been more easily moved on and we'd be left with Aguero and Dzeko who were bargains in light of some recent transfers and then Balotelli who can play out wide too. The crux of the problem is we can't move Ade and Tevez on because Hughes couldn't see beyond his next game, never mind 3-4 years down the line.

The amount we've spend is because the market is inflated. As you say, there are comparably more expensive signings at other clubs. it's just we've had to buy so many in an inflated market.

I agree with you here tbh. Dzeko, aguero and balotelli.

Johnson was a good buy. I think that mancini has done well in terms of getting players for the right price though, besides milner I would say every signing he has bought was worth the money. Despite me complaining about boateng, he was shifted on for around the same price.

I think mancini has basically been trying to shift hughes signings who haven't been up to standard/too high in wages which is a very hard job, try telling an employee to do more work and half his wages. No one would want to do that.

I think you didn't have to buy as many, probably because hughes bought quite a lot of wrong players who didn't fit in a system, but all of mancini's signings have been mainstays or bargains for their price. Sounds like claudio ranieri, the guy who can build a team to win the league but can't win it.
Original post by jam277
200 million I corrected myself. We won the title in the 05 season. All I'm saying is that city have spent 400 million, they have one FA cup to show for it and are probably coming trophyless. We spent 200 million and got the double after and got to 2 CL semi finals in the first two years.

But yeah, I can bet you city will buy more players in the summer to try and win the league. I probably see them winning it next season though.

I admit we've done bad, but we've spent less than city and got the rewards quicker than they did although it was easier for us tbh.

Chelsea started from a much higher position though TBF. :yy:

City were standard mid-table dross when Abu Dhabi took over, whereas your lot were already top 4 with recent trophy wins to their name.
Original post by Laertes
Chelsea also started in a better position with better players. To reach a par with the top teams we needed to spend more than Chelsea did. The effects of inflation are worth noting too.

I agree tbh. I think you did overpay for players at the start, but now you've bought players for the right price when mancini came in. Imagine how much more you would have spent if hughes was still there, you would probably still be in a top 4 battle as well rather than challenging for trophies.

Although, unless you win the league, you guys have underacheived this season and there's no denying it. trophyless with the best squad in england, baring in mind the worst chelsea team in the abramovich era is in the fa cup semi final and CL semi final and the worst united team under fergie is set to get a record 20th title and I'll say you're better than both of these teams, even if you put our best players together for chelsea and united, we would probably be on par with your team with a better defence.

Original post by Laertes
It's got **** all to do with that. Aleksander Kolarov is not a good defender and his attacking play is annoyingly unreliable.

He's not even the best left-back at City, let alone the league or the world.

Hmm, clichy is better all round, kolarov is better at set pieces though and can play on the wing when needed. I think he's better as a utility player. The 'john o shea role' as it's more known.
Reply 3083
Original post by jam277
I agree tbh. I think you did overpay for players at the start, but now you've bought players for the right price when mancini came in. Imagine how much more you would have spent if hughes was still there, you would probably still be in a top 4 battle as well rather than challenging for trophies.

Although, unless you win the league, you guys have underacheived this season and there's no denying it. trophyless with the best squad in england, baring in mind the worst chelsea team in the abramovich era is in the fa cup semi final and CL semi final and the worst united team under fergie is set to get a record 20th title and I'll say you're better than both of these teams, even if you put our best players together for chelsea and united, we would probably be on par with your team with a better defence.

I dread to think where we'd be if Hughes was still in charge. He wasted so much money it's unbelievable.

I can see both sides to be honest, we should have done better - in particular this late collapse and losing to the worst Liverpool side in, at least, a decade are very disappointing - but if you remember we didn't come into the season as title favourites - or even 2nd favourites with some people - this season hasn't actually been as bad as has been made out.

We fell short against United in the Cup despite being a man down, we got 10 points in, our first season in the CL, in the hardest group in the competition. We've played wonderful football, by-passed Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea, blitzed numerous records and dominated the league for more than half the season. It's a shame we haven't got any trophies - yet - to go along with it but it's a bit naive to write it off as a total failure.

All that said, we thew away a commanding position at crunch time, because we got complacent, which is rarely a sign of success. As I say, it's not that clear-cut.

Original post by jam277

Hmm, clichy is better all round, kolarov is better at set pieces though and can play on the wing when needed. I think he's better as a utility player. The 'john o shea role' as it's more known.

He's not consistent enough to be compared to John O'Shea. He's a very good player when he plays well but he's woefully inconsistent and his skill set isn't exactly transferable.
Original post by Laertes
I dread to think where we'd be if Hughes was still in charge. He wasted so much money it's unbelievable.

I can see both sides to be honest, we should have done better - in particular this late collapse and losing to the worst Liverpool side in, at least, a decade are very disappointing - but if you remember we didn't come into the season as title favourites - or even 2nd favourites with some people - this season hasn't actually been as bad as has been made out.

We fell short against United in the Cup despite being a man down, we got 10 points in, our first season in the CL, in the hardest group in the competition. We've played wonderful football, by-passed Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea, blitzed numerous records and dominated the league for more than half the season. It's a shame we haven't got any trophies - yet - to go along with it but it's a bit naive to write it off as a total failure.

All that said, we thew away a commanding position at crunch time, because we got complacent, which is rarely a sign of success. As I say, it's not that clear-cut.

He's not consistent enough to be compared to John O'Shea. He's a very good player when he plays well but he's woefully inconsistent and his skill set isn't exactly transferable.

I think you guys came as 2nd favourites most of the time. I don't really buy the CL excuse, but it's perfectly understandable to come 3rd in that group especially with 10 points, but with that, you should have been in the semis of the europa league, he wasn't fully commited but he would have liked to win it if he was given the chance.

The only reason you haven't won a double this season and are probably coming trophyless is because of complacency. Bayern munich are in a similar situation to you guys in fact. Best squad in their league by a mile yet they got turned over by dortmund twice who are a good team, but not in bayerns league lets be honest.

You'll get a trophy next season that's for sure. With or without mancini. Don't see who could really replace him who's better than him. Ranieri is pretty much getting the same thing but with no title winning experience and I don't reckon you'll take a punt on AVB.

Mourinho is probably the most likely and the only person you should really get, if he actually leaves madrid but he could just as easily go to chelsea since he loves the fans and the club but not the owner.
Blanc and deschamps are other maybes.

So, despite me wanting mancini to be sacked, no one can replace him who is available and better besides mourinho.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jam277
I think you guys came as 2nd favourites most of the time. I don't really buy the CL excuse, but it's perfectly understandable to come 3rd in that group especially with 10 points, but with that, you should have been in the semis of the europa league, he wasn't fully commited but he would have liked to win it if he was given the chance.

The only reason you haven't won a double this season and are probably coming trophyless is because of complacency. Bayern munich are in a similar situation to you guys in fact. Best squad in their league by a mile yet they got turned over by dortmund twice who are a good team, but not in bayerns league lets be honest.

You'll get a trophy next season that's for sure. With or without mancini. Don't see who could really replace him who's better than him. Ranieri is pretty much getting the same thing but with no title winning experience and I don't reckon you'll take a punt on AVB.

Mourinho is probably the most likely and the only person you should really get, if he actually leaves madrid but he could just as easily go to chelsea since he loves the fans and the club but not the owner.
Blanc and deschamps are other maybes.

So, despite me wanting mancini to be sacked, no one can replace him who is available and better besides mourinho.

Mourinho will go to whichever English club he believes he will be best placed to win the champions league.

Porto - league + CL
Chelsea - league
Inter Milan - league + CL
Madrid - chance of league + CL

If he achieves that, what hasn't he? A CL win with an English club.
Original post by Zerforax
Mourinho will go to whichever English club he believes he will be best placed to win the champions league.

Porto - league + CL
Chelsea - league
Inter Milan - league + CL
Madrid - chance of league + CL

If he achieves that, what hasn't he? A CL win with an English club.

He probably has unfinished business with chelsea though tbh. Mourinho isn't a long term manager like you said though but lets see. I don't think mourinho wants to just jump ship to the best team. He didn't really like italy. He would have stayed at chelsea had he not had problems with abramovich and who wouldn't jump to madrid with a record like mourinho's? Plus he's better than porto so he might as well get an international/worldwide reputation by going to a club like chelsea in 2004 rather than being 'the manager who got some uefa cups and a fluky CL win(no offence to rafa benitez).'

Also, bare in mind mourinho's jobs have been pretty dangerous with ruthless owners, moratti is making abramovich look like the most patient manager there is and perez sacked pellegrini for getting real madrids highest ever points total. It's a pressure cooker situation at every job he's been in bar porto, but everyone knows how valuable mourinho is so they wouldn't sack him and he'll walk out on his own accord.

He certainly couldn't have joined barca, why would barca get rid of someone who won a treble in his first season and la liga the next season?
Original post by jam277
He probably has unfinished business with chelsea though tbh. Mourinho isn't a long term manager like you said though but lets see. I don't think mourinho wants to just jump ship to the best team. He didn't really like italy. He would have stayed at chelsea had he not had problems with abramovich and who wouldn't jump to madrid with a record like mourinho's? Plus he's better than porto so he might as well get an international/worldwide reputation by going to a club like chelsea in 2004 rather than being 'the manager who got some uefa cups and a fluky CL win(no offence to rafa benitez).'

Also, bare in mind mourinho's jobs have been pretty dangerous with ruthless owners, moratti is making abramovich look like the most patient manager there is and perez sacked pellegrini for getting real madrids highest ever points total. It's a pressure cooker situation at every job he's been in bar porto, but everyone knows how valuable mourinho is so they wouldn't sack him and he'll walk out on his own accord.

He certainly couldn't have joined barca, why would barca get rid of someone who won a treble in his first season and la liga the next season?

Don't really see how Porto's CL win isn't flukey but Liverpool's was?

My point was more that Mourinho will move to an English club (as he loves the country) but move to the club which will best set him up to win the CL - whether that be Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs etc

Obviously some clubs won't have him but I cant' see him going back to Chelsea if they don't have CL status or if it will take him 5 years for him to set them back up to be competitors.
Don't really see how Porto's CL win isn't flukey but Liverpool's was?

My point was more that Mourinho will move to an English club (as he loves the country) but move to the club which will best set him up to win the CL - whether that be Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs etc

Obviously some clubs won't have him but I cant' see him going back to Chelsea if they don't have CL status or if it will take him 5 years for him to set them back up to be competitors.

I said the win was flukey, but by him going to another club and winning the CL again, he showed that he's not just a one man wonder like benitez(well that's how people see it as).

Do you really think it'll take 5 years for chelsea to be competitors? I think it's just a poor season baring in mind our recent form since we got di matteo we would be third or even second possibly. Anyway, I'm just saying it's either chelsea or city. Tottenham if he's desperate to leave madrid. But mourinho won't be forced out as the board loves him and the non spanish players in the team like ronado and coentrao like him as well.
Original post by jam277
I said the win was flukey, but by him going to another club and winning the CL again, he showed that he's not just a one man wonder like benitez(well that's how people see it as).

Do you really think it'll take 5 years for chelsea to be competitors? I think it's just a poor season baring in mind our recent form since we got di matteo we would be third or even second possibly. Anyway, I'm just saying it's either chelsea or city. Tottenham if he's desperate to leave madrid. But mourinho won't be forced out as the board loves him and the non spanish players in the team like ronado and coentrao like him as well.

Well Rafa made it to another CL final 2 years later so he can't be that flukey?

Well it was a random example of time. I definitely would not say that Chelsea are ready to be league/CL challengers next season without heavy investment and time to gel. Will RA give that much money straight away? Will Chelsea even qualify for CL next season? The old players are only getting older too. We've seen them finally dip this season from their high standards.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3090
Hoping for a Man City loss today and then an Arsenal win in a few days :getmecoat:
Well Rafa made it to another CL final 2 years later so he can't be that flukey?

Well it was a random example of time. I definitely would not say that Chelsea are ready to be league/CL challengers next season without heavy investment and time to gel. Will RA give that much money straight away? Will Chelsea even qualify for CL next season? The old players are only getting older too. We've seen them finally dip this season from their high standards.

I know rafa isn't flukey, he's been to loads of semi and quarter finals as well in the CL. Anyway, I don't believe that it's a dip. Baring in mind we're in the semis of the CL this year. We could just as easily win the FA cup and get top 4. Then people won't say that chelsea have declined, they'll say it's a poor season. We can only know next season. Tbh our central midfield just needs a revamp, but then again that was our problem last season and we came second. I think our squad is still only second to city's, united have better wingers/strikers, but our midfield is better and our defence is on par with theirs without vidic.

But like you said we need a bit of gelling. I don't see a big spending spree though.

I don't even know if city will spend big. They really don't need to.
First off ref doing his best job to **** us over as ever. Aguero clearly tugged no foul, Hart clearly impeded no foul.

But really, Tevez's general play is exactly what Aguero hasn't been doing all season. Just using his strength to keep the ball up top and let us transition into attack.
Good to see 'he wont play again' has an impact
Reply 3094
3 points in the bag for City. The title race is heating up :holmes:
Original post by Tommyjw
Good to see 'he wont play again' has an impact

If you can't see press conferences (And any PR exercise for that matter) are more about appeasing the present than upholding the truth then you desperately need to get out into the real world you naive little boy.
Original post by warwickorbristol
If you can't see press conferences (And any PR exercise for that matter) are more about appeasing the present than upholding the truth then you desperately need to get out into the real world you naive little boy.

Naww. one day your rambling will make sense, i promise.
Carlos Tevez :congrats: What a player.
Always said Tevez is quality. If Mancini swallowed his pride sooner after the incident, Man City wouldn't be where they are. Balotelli is a match-winner but he's no Tevez, Tevez does his work with minimal fuss on the pitch...it's just off the pitch he is a problem.
Carlos Tevez what ever he's done in the past, you can't fault his performance today.

Quick Reply

Latest