The Student Room Group

Going to NI from England?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Hylean
What kind of Northern Irishman are you?! Or, are you under the age of 6? How have you never seen these anywhere in NI before?!

They're utterly different to the southern ones as well.

Haha this was one of the first things I saw upon arriving in Belfast haha. If you fly into city you have no other choice but to walk past a Tayto sign haha
Reply 61
Original post by Foskett15
Hey, I'm actually from Torquay so just round the corner (ish), what you studying??

omg!!! really? I'm flying on Fri 16th from Exeter. Pleeeeese tell me you're not running home ev ery weekeend! It's my one dread, determined to get out there and enjoy-been waiting to hear for ages! Belfast night life is the best so I hear! Loved the uni when i went to look at How r you getting there? (PS Syc05 Eng/Politics)
Reply 62
Original post by marma-duke
omg!!! really? I'm flying on Fri 16th from Exeter. Pleeeeese tell me you're not running home ev ery weekeend! It's my one dread, determined to get out there and enjoy-been waiting to hear for ages! Belfast night life is the best so I hear! Loved the uni when i went to look at How r you getting there? (PS Syc05 Eng/Politics)

Yeah honestly. O alright well I'm being a bit odd and flying from Bristol on the 16th simply because it's cheaper and I can take more luggage :smile:, which airport you flying to International or George Best City one? No I'll be there most weekends, yeah and me too cause all the Irish go home or something so it's gonna be pretty quiet :s-smilie:, but I'm in SYC04 so only next block of flats to you. Yeah it's supposed to be, which is good :smile:. Yeah same here, it was the only uni that I loved, so was so glad to see that I got in :biggrin:. (PS SYC04 Architecture)
Original post by Hylean
What kind of Northern Irishman are you?! Or, are you under the age of 6? How have you never seen these anywhere in NI before?!

They're utterly different to the southern ones as well.

swear ti god i havent! :L ive hardly ever been in belfast like im a countryman lol
Original post by Tyrone_Lad18
swear ti god i havent! :L ive hardly ever been in belfast like im a countryman lol

:mute:

How can you possibly have never seen or even eaten a pack of Tayto!?
Reply 65

Dude, they're all over Northern Ireland, including Tyrone. They're made in Tandragee Castle in Armagh. It's nothing to do with Belfast. You can get them in any supermarket or cornershop, or should be able to. Can't believe there are Northern Irish people out there who've never had our Tayto...
Reply 66
:O!! you've never seen them??? how?
on the other hand, the tayto from the south are always nicer for some reason! :s-smilie:
Reply 67

Yeah honestly. O alright well I'm being a bit odd and flying from Bristol on the 16th simply because it's cheaper and I can take more luggage :smile:, which airport you flying to International or George Best City one? No I'll be there most weekends, yeah and me too cause all the Irish go home or something so it's gonna be pretty quiet :s-smilie:, but I'm in SYC04 so only next block of flats to you. Yeah it's supposed to be, which is good :smile:. Yeah same here, it was the only uni that I loved, so was so glad to see that I got in :biggrin:. (PS SYC04 Architecture)

George Best City - only £1.50 for metrobus! so are you able to move in on 16th or what? I heard was the next day/s
Reply 68
Original post by marma-duke
George Best City - only £1.50 for metrobus! so are you able to move in on 16th or what? I heard was the next day/s

O cool didnt realise it was so cheap. No staying in a hotel on the 16th and getting a few last minute things before moving in on the 17th, well I think move in is on the 17th anyway :s-smilie:.
Reply 69
Original post by Rob-Bob
on the other hand, the tayto from the south are always nicer for some reason! :s-smilie:

Lies!
On the original topic, I am English (from Gateshead) and I moved over a couple of years ago, just after I finished my GCSE's. I currently live near Bangor, did my A-levels in a School in Newtownards, and am Prepping to move to halls in Coleraine. In my experience, I have had very few problems with people my age here, most are friendly and warm enough (you are bound to get a couple of **** who will make some kind of comments, but you get that no matter where you move to/from). The only source of Conflict ever is talking about football (Being a Geordie, I support Newcastle United, a nice fresh change from all the Man U fans (I kid, I love you, Don't hit me)).

So yeah, moving from England to Northern Ireland works, just treat the locals as you intend to be treated, and all will be swell (Basically, do what you were taught as a toddler. Share with your new friends too.)
Original post by Hylean
Dude, they're all over Northern Ireland, including Tyrone. They're made in Tandragee Castle in Armagh. It's nothing to do with Belfast. You can get them in any supermarket or cornershop, or should be able to. Can't believe there are Northern Irish people out there who've never had our Tayto...

there not in my local shop...
Original post by Iain 815
:mute:

How can you possibly have never seen or even eaten a pack of Tayto!?

ive seen tayto b4 but only when ive been in dublin
Reply 73
there not in my local shop...

Your local shop scares me.
Reply 74
Original post by Hylean
Lies!

SO not lies!! red bag all the way!! i dunno what it is, but the southern ones are nicer! honest! :wink:
Reply 75
Original post by Rob-Bob
SO not lies!! red bag all the way!! i dunno what it is, but the southern ones are nicer! honest! :wink:

They're really not. I'll take a good bag of my northern Tayto Cheese and Onion any day.

I like the Southern ones, but our Northern ones are the best.
Reply 76
each to their own, but nahhhhhhhh!
Original post by Rob-Bob

I have to agree with you. I don't really know why, but ever since my mother told me she preferred the southern ones, I started to. There's just something about them. :tongue:
Original post by Rob-Bob

Original post by Rob-Bob

Defo agree with you there lol :smile:
Hey - just to add my thoughts.

I'm originally from Southend, Essex. Moved to Coleraine to attend university - it's absolutely fine. You will stand out a little - it's hard not too - but I can count the 'problems' I've had on one hand, and they were all with small-minded, ignorant drunks :smile:

The toughest 'issue' I've had is moving my stuff between Southend and Coleraine - ferries can get expensive!

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending